U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-24-2013, 12:49 AM
 
59,419 posts, read 35,123,226 times
Reputation: 7176

Advertisements

There have been various attempts to explain and support the idea of a universal field (consciousness) as the basis of our reality. I will try to provide the Cliff's Notes conclusions of my views because I think they are simply not that easily extracted from the existing posts. My Synthesis has been the most notorious . . . but there have been other variations on the theme. Atheists see it as too speculative and some of the more recalcitrant ones unremittingly refer to it as completely unsupported with "not one shred of evidence or reason to believe." Their standard of evidence is one that requires proof or certainty as reason to believe. I take a different view and have a lesser standard of evidence as reason to believe . . . since belief is supposed to be different from knowing. Please note my use of the term "I believe." My standard allows for educated extrapolation from existing knowledge. This has not been received well by some.

Despite protestations to the contrary . . . we know enough to state unequivocally that the energy used in the brain to produce consciousness can not be lost, simply changed from its various chemical forms in the brain cells to its composite energy form: Consciousness. We know that consciousness exists in all human beings with operable brains. Since consciousness exists as a field phenomenon manifesting as some form of energy, and since energy cannot be destroyed, all consciousness must still exist or have been transformed in some way. Therefore, every instant of consciousness produced by every human mind since the first . . . still must exist in the universe today in some state of energy!

We know what the fate is of the energy comprising our physical body parts. But what possible fate would our consciousness energy face? If I am right and our consciousness is permanent what is the possible fate of such a permanent energy form and where in this vast universe could it exist? Christians are told there are two possible fates: Heaven or the Lake of Fire. Heaven has always referred to the space above the earth that contains the stars. I have always been intrigued by the idea that an apt description of galaxies like our own would be “lakes of fire” (Suns). This should telegraph where I'm going with this.

The universal field that establishes the parameters of our reality is characterized predominately by a vast "void" that comprises the bulk (95+%) of the "matter and energy" in the universe. This non-visible part of the universe contains what our scientists label "non-baryonic dark matter and dark energy" (meaning they don't know what it is and can't measure it directly, but there's a lot of it!) In our solar system, we are the only producers of life energy in our uniquely human form of consciousness. When we die, where this consciousness "goes" depends primarily on the form that characterizes it. The two aspects of our reality that comprise 95+% of our universe I believe are related to the fates of our consciousness energy.

I believe the dark energy is responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe (growth?). I believe it is the expanding consciousness of our living God. By joining it we would be going to Heaven. I believe Heaven contains the cradles of conscious life called solar systems and that all the solar systems in all the galaxies that support consciousness producing life contribute to the growth (expansion) of this dark energy. But any consciousness that does not possess God’s characteristics cannot become part of and share His consciousness.

That’s where dark matter comes in. If dark energy is consciousness compatible with God then dark matter would be the consciousness that isn’t. The dark matter is responsible for the formation of the galaxies. The galaxies are primarily the locations of consciousness producing life in the universe. I believe that if our consciousness is not qualified to join God it must be relegated to become part of the dark matter which holds together the galaxies . . . like our particular “lake of fire” (Milky Way galaxy). The stars within our galaxy continuously support more consciousness producing life energy in selected solar systems like our own.

Intriguingly, in the Christian scriptures our own solar system is characterized in a similar way in Revelation 12:1,

. . . And a great sign appeared in heaven: a woman clothed with the Sun, and the Moon was under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars. And being with child, she cried out in her travail and was in the anguish of delivery.

What this summary of my conclusions is designed to highlight is that I believe it is simply stretching the human ego beyond forgiveness to reject the more figurative and mystical revelations of God in the “spiritual fossil record” as irrational or preposterous with no possibility of rational explanation. We should not be so arrogant as to presume that we have obtained and analyzed sufficient data to rule out the existence of God!

In conclusion, I believe there is more than adequate scientific support for the idea that something akin to a Cosmic Consciousness (Universal Field) MUST exist as the foundation of all our reality. I am comfortable with the idea that the aggregate consciousness of God is the Universal Field ordering our reality.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-24-2013, 05:32 AM
 
5,458 posts, read 6,458,127 times
Reputation: 1813
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
There have been various attempts to explain and support the idea of a universal field (consciousness) as the basis of our reality. I will try to provide the Cliff's Notes conclusions of my views because I think they are simply not that easily extracted from the existing posts. My Synthesis has been the most notorious . . . but there have been other variations on the theme. Atheists see it as too speculative and some of the more recalcitrant ones unremittingly refer to it as completely unsupported with "not one shred of evidence or reason to believe." Their standard of evidence is one that requires proof or certainty as reason to believe. I take a different view and have a lesser standard of evidence as reason to believe . . . since belief is supposed to be different from knowing. Please note my use of the term "I believe." My standard allows for educated extrapolation from existing knowledge. This has not been received well by some.
Specifically, those who expect evidence rather than wild speculation based on a misunderstanding of science.

Quote:
Despite protestations to the contrary . . . we know enough to state unequivocally that the energy used in the brain to produce consciousness can not be lost, simply changed from its various chemical forms in the brain cells to its composite energy form: Consciousness.
Consciousness is not a form of energy. The energy used by the brain is released as heat and stored in other waste products, not changed into some sort of mystical energy field which flows through us.

Quote:
We know that consciousness exists in all human beings with operable brains. Since consciousness exists as a field phenomenon manifesting as some form of energy, and since energy cannot be destroyed, all consciousness must still exist or have been transformed in some way.
Again, since consciousness isn't a type of energy this is nonsense. As is the remainder which follows from this poor reasoning.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2013, 05:57 AM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
19,881 posts, read 16,953,295 times
Reputation: 21193
Dr. Mystic,
Is this what you do at 1 am?


Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2013, 06:06 AM
 
Location: Northeastern US
17,210 posts, read 11,462,040 times
Reputation: 8524
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Consciousness is not a form of energy. The energy used by the brain is released as heat and stored in other waste products, not changed into some sort of mystical energy field which flows through us.
Consciousness is an abstraction we use to describe observable awareness. It is not energy. That is not to say that energy isn't involved (as it is involved in some way in virtually everything). But that's the problem. Energy and matter are the very stuff of existence. Their very commonplace-ness makes associating energy or matter with consciousness or anything else almost nonsensical and irrelevant. It's like a fish thinking that water is a universal field that explains its own cognition. Or a fish worshipping water as god.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2013, 06:12 AM
 
10,774 posts, read 5,446,100 times
Reputation: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Specifically, those who expect evidence rather than wild speculation based on a misunderstanding of science.

Consciousness is not a form of energy. The energy used by the brain is released as heat and stored in other waste products, not changed into some sort of mystical energy field which flows through us.

Again, since consciousness isn't a type of energy this is nonsense. As is the remainder which follows from this poor reasoning.
Of course consciousness is energy...EVERYTHING is energy.
Your rebuttal messes up right out of the gate.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2013, 06:19 AM
 
6,948 posts, read 3,370,226 times
Reputation: 6281
Hi MysticPhd,

I have wondered about your theory that you defend so vigorously. Thank you for trying to share it. I am not sure if it is a right approach, but in order to understand many things, I try to visualize what I read.

In my mind, I picture our conscious energy being contained in our bodies but when we die, it is free. It then joins dark energy but it is not transferred into dark energy.

I do wonder if this energy needs to be strong enough to leave Earth's atmosphere especially because it was capable of being contained in our bodies while we were living.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2013, 07:47 AM
 
Location: S. Wales.
49,761 posts, read 17,946,676 times
Reputation: 5829
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Hi MysticPhd,

I have wondered about your theory that you defend so vigorously. Thank you for trying to share it. I am not sure if it is a right approach, but in order to understand many things, I try to visualize what I read.

In my mind, I picture our conscious energy being contained in our bodies but when we die, it is free. It then joins dark energy but it is not transferred into dark energy.

I do wonder if this energy needs to be strong enough to leave Earth's atmosphere especially because it was capable of being contained in our bodies while we were living.
If I understand Mystic's hypothesis correctly, it doesn't need to 'go' anywhere, as the human consciousness as all part of the Cosmic sized dark - matter consciousness that is 'God' all the time, even when we are alive. I gather the 'carnal' aspect of our living bod gets in the way of 'knowing' this greater consciousness all the time and we only get to access it through prayer and meditation.

Mystic will correct me if I have misunderstood.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2013, 07:56 AM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
48,565 posts, read 22,253,513 times
Reputation: 21150
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Their standard of evidence is one that requires proof or certainty as reason to believe. I take a different view and have a lesser standard of evidence as reason to believe . . . since belief is supposed to be different from knowing. .
I think your above foundational elements are in error. I do not think that "I have a lesser standard of evidence" is a viable introduction to a theory which one is presenting, certainly not if one's goal is to be believed. I take such a statement as indicating that what follows is going to be on mushy ground, and that quite possibly, the standard of evidence being employed is being adjusted to fit whichever conclusions the presenter wants to make. However much suspension of credibility is required to embrace the theory, well, that would then represent the proper standard, as set by the person presenting the theory.

As for "belief is supposed to be different from knowing", well, okay, but is belief supposed to be more desirable than knowing? Is belief so desirable that it justifies lowering standards of investigation and evidence until the belief appears credible?

In sum, I see your entire approach as being the wrong way to go, and consequently, the points which flow from that are devoid of utility.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2013, 08:42 AM
 
6,948 posts, read 3,370,226 times
Reputation: 6281
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
If I understand Mystic's hypothesis correctly, it doesn't need to 'go' anywhere, as the human consciousness as all part of the Cosmic sized dark - matter consciousness that is 'God' all the time, even when we are alive. I gather the 'carnal' aspect of our living bod gets in the way of 'knowing' this greater consciousness all the time and we only get to access it through prayer and meditation.

Mystic will correct me if I have misunderstood.
Okay. If it was all part of the Cosmic dark matter, working backwards on the transfer of energy, it would look like this:

dark energy (soul) << consciousness energy << chemical energy (human body) << dark matter
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2013, 08:49 AM
 
Location: S. Wales.
49,761 posts, read 17,946,676 times
Reputation: 5829
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Okay. If it was all part of the Cosmic dark matter, working backwards on the transfer of energy, it would look like this:

dark energy (soul) << consciousness energy << chemical energy (human body) << dark matter
Yeesss..except that the different names are just conventional labels for where that bit of Consciousness is and what it is doing at the time. In the hypothesis, it is all the same stuff. Just like atoms, in fact.

Again, Mystic will excuse me if I have misunderstood.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top