Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 10:58 AM

170 posts, read 373,156 times

Advertisements

There's a common theme with religious families these days. And I'm talking about real religious families, ones with devout parents. I've seen at least 20 examples of this.

* Parents have multiple kids with the expectation that they can shelter all their kids in the Christian bubble up through adulthood, make them into devout Christian adults.
* One or more of the kids becomes fed up with, indifferent about, or skeptical of Christianity.
* Kid becomes resentful towards the parents for trying to brainwash them. Sometimes it turns into rebellion or the kid becoming ardently independent because he wants to prove to his parents that he can live a happy, productive life without having as a basis any exclusively Christian beliefs.
* Parents believe they've failed, believe their kid is now on a road to Hell, become depressed, alienated from their kid, etcetera.

It's pretty sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 11:20 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoundOfMuzak View Post
There's a common theme with religious families these days. And I'm talking about real religious families, ones with devout parents. I've seen at least 20 examples of this.

* Parents have multiple kids with the expectation that they can shelter all their kids in the Christian bubble up through adulthood, make them into devout Christian adults.
They told you this?
Quote:

* One or more of the kids becomes fed up with, indifferent about, or skeptical of Christianity.
Kids rebel. Not just Christian kids.
Quote:

* Kid becomes resentful towards the parents for trying to brainwash them. Sometimes it turns into rebellion or the kid becoming ardently independent because he wants to prove to his parents that he can live a happy, productive life without having as a basis any exclusively Christian beliefs.
Did they tell you this? You know for a fact that this is their motivation?
Quote:
* Parents believe they've failed, believe their kid is now on a road to Hell, become depressed, alienated from their kid, etcetera.
Have you personally interviewed said parents? You know how they feel?

Old 12-27-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Kids rebel.
Not if they have nothing to rebel against.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Do you know of any such families where the kids have NOTHING to rebel against?

Old 12-27-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Do you know of any such families where the kids have NOTHING to rebel against?
Sure, and they turned out well-adjusted. Raise your kids to believe that they are wise and can make their own decisions and learn from their mistakes and that you want them to be happy.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Sure, and they turned out well-adjusted. Raise your kids to believe that they are wise and can make their own decisions and learn from their mistakes and that you want them to be happy.
So it's only Christian families that have kids that rebel?

Old 12-27-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
So it's only Christian families that have kids that rebel?
No, but I think a kid is more likely to turn into a hedonist, Satanist, stoner, and/or sex addit if he is born into a Christian family than if he is born into a secular one. Some of the biggest partiers I knew in college were sons and daughters of pastors.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
No, but I think a kid is more likely to turn into a hedonist, Satanist, stoner, and/or sex addit if he is born into a Christian family than if he is born into a secular one. Some of the biggest partiers I knew in college were sons and daughters of pastors.
Do you have ANY statistics to back that up? Or are you just blowing smoke?

Old 12-27-2013, 01:30 PM

19,994 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:

It's pretty sad.
I've observed this too. My fundamentalist brother feels that he shouldn't have sent his son to "that liberal university where they corrupted his mind". And his son isn't even a bad kid, he is just a Methodist and is more liberal politically than his Dad. He's a family man, has held the same job (in Information Technology! Through several mergers and acquisitions!) for twenty years, etc. And the "liberal university" is a Lutheran college! Sheesh!

On the other hand, I must concede Vizio's point that rebellion is not unique to Christian families ... I would only observe that Christian families take standard youthful "rebellion" with much more angst as it threatens their worldview, and, if Christianity were such a terrific boon to people's lives you'd think there'd be far more enthusiastic conformity to it by the young, especially given the promise that if you raise children correctly "in the way they should go" they "will not depart from it".

Old 12-27-2013, 02:47 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
Quote:
I rebeled against my parents who were atheists. Now I am a Christian.

My parents were quite unhappy. My mother hated my wife, because she was a Christian. Mom was fairly clear on the matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality