Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 11:09 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
If you were a good and decent person and tried your best to be Christ-like, why not?

Why should someone be kept out of paradise simply because he/she didn't sit around all day mewling out praises to a deity that should already know how great he is - any being that needs constant reminding by such inferior beings as we must have a MASSIVE inferiority complex.
The Bible says no one is good. In our natural state, none of us seek after God. (Romans 3:10-12)

If you can lead a God-honoring life, knock yourself out. But you can't. None of us can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 11:11 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Do tell everyone how that applies to the 8-year old girl who was raised by observant Jewish parents in the Warsaw Ghetto. When, exactly, did this "chance" occur?
Bueller?

Bueller?

........Bueller?

Old 12-31-2013, 11:31 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The Bible says no one is good. In our natural state, none of us seek after God. (Romans 3:10-12)

If you can lead a God-honoring life, knock yourself out. But you can't. None of us can.
Heh, the Bible says no one is good as part of the brilliance of dismantling the psyche before irrational devotion to a cult can take place - and Christianity was little more than a messianic cult during the time of the Romans. If Constantine hadn't converted, pictures of Zeus might be in our courthouse instead of Moses.

The authors of the Bible seem to have understood such concepts as the Stockholm Syndrome and the horrible social dynamic between an abusive husband and a battered wife.

The same concepts are used in Christianity to get people to follow a brand new god unconditionally and without question. First you tear down the person, then insert your god as the answer to rebuilding yourself (and rebuilding yourself in the way the clergy wants you to).

At any rate, even if we can never be perfectly good, you're missing my point. If someone TRIES to be good and decent, that's what matters. Not whether they succeeded 100% of the time. But Christianity is all about appeasing a god you, yourself, said was wrathful.

I still can't quite wrap my brain around the concept. For thousands of years, humans have invented gods to be afraid of, thus our collective civilizations have wasted monumental amounts of resources, time, money, and lives tryng to placate our own imaginations, to stave off the boogyman under the bed, the monster in the closet. Christians like to think that they bring something new to the table - but they don't. Not really.

Christianity still introduces us to a mean-spirited, perpetually angry god that requires non-stop praise and accolades lest we find ourselves on the wrong end of a divine punishment. Christianity tries to trick us into thinking it is all about morality, but at the end of the day, none of that matters. It's all about worship, providing the love that god demands of us, and putting him first. Yeah ... demands. The only other type of person I know who actually demands love is a young child.

The long and short of it is that the Christian god is just the same old god we've been running scared from for the last 10,000 years. At least the Romans only gave grudging respect to the gods they believed controlled them ... but the Christian god has his followers totally bent and blind, just like one would expect with cult membership. Only Jesus seems to have broken from that mold, but few people care what Jesus said because he contradicts things like greed, materialism, capitalism, social Darwinism, and class privilege.

There is no way that "Jesus is God" because the two are virtually diametrically opposed to each other in terms of ideology, philosophy, and temperment.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Heh, the Bible says no one is good as part of the brilliance of dismantling the psyche before irrational devotion to a cult can take place - and Christianity was little more than a messianic cult during the time of the Romans. If Constantine hadn't converted, pictures of Zeus might be in our courthouse instead of Moses.
Do you NEVER grow tired of your constant attacking of the Bible? I mean...seriously? Why do you hate God and the Bible so much?
Quote:
At any rate, even if we can never be perfectly good, you're missing my point. If someone TRIES to be good and decent, that's what matters. Not whether they succeeded 100% of the time. But Christianity is all about appeasing a god you, yourself, said was wrathful.
But no one does try to be good. No...not one.
Quote:
I still can't quite wrap my brain around the concept. For thousands of years, humans have invented gods to be afraid of, thus our collective civilizations have wasted monumental amounts of resources, time, money, and lives tryng to placate our own imaginations, to stave off the boogyman under the bed, the monster in the closet. Christians like to think that they bring something new to the table - but they don't. Not really.

Christianity still introduces us to a mean-spirited, perpetually angry god that requires non-stop praise and accolades lest we find ourselves on the wrong end of a divine punishment. Christianity tries to trick us into thinking it is all about morality, but at the end of the day, none of that matters. It's all about worship, providing the love that god demands of us, and putting him first. Yeah ... demands. The only other type of person I know who actually demands love is a young child.

The long and short of it is that the Christian god is just the same old god we've been running scared from for the last 10,000 years. At least the Romans only gave grudging respect to the gods they believed controlled them ... but the Christian god has his followers totally bent and blind, just like one would expect with cult membership. Only Jesus seems to have broken from that mold, but few people care what Jesus said because he contradicts things like greed, materialism, capitalism, social Darwinism, and class privilege.

There is no way that "Jesus is God" because the two are virtually diametrically opposed to each other in terms of ideology, philosophy, and temperment.
The difference between Christianity and the other religions is that in Christianity God did take it totally upon himself to justify us -- meaning that we do not have to work to please him. He made provision for us to be righteous.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:44 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
...snip....

...snip...
Speak for yourself, pastor.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I do. I also believe the bible.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:01 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Unreal isn't it?

Makes me even more thankful for all the atheists doing good deeds, giving to charity, helping little old ladies get something off the top shelf at Target.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:02 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,057 times
Quote:
Do you NEVER grow tired of your constant attacking of the Bible? I mean...seriously? Why do you hate God and the Bible so much?
Do you ever get tired of preaching it? Therein lies the answer to your question.

Quote:
If no one tried to be good, then we would all be living in some post-apocalyptic Mad Max world where might makes right and life is cheaper than a box of dirt. There would only be anarchy as law and order would be impossible without the will to be civil and moral (at least the morality that actually counts for something and not nonsense morality like that involving contraception.)

I can at least cautiously understand why it is said that none of us are completely good - because none of us are. Of course the world makes us that way in many respects. During a job interview, I would just love to be honest and say, "I really don't give a damn about your company or what it does. I just need a paycheck." But instead I have to lie if I want any hope of getting the job. Everything in this world is such a fight, such a struggle ... and all it takes is a single failure to ruin your life, thus people will do almost anything to avoid personal responsibility. And why not? The consquences for even small failures are almost stupidly disproportional. So we have to lie, sometimes cheat, sometimes steal - not to get something more, but to simply break even. I've learned almost from the get-go that honesty is a handicap, not a virtue.

But most of us do TRY to be good in a world where goodness and morality is so often a burden. We don't always succeed, but that is where the beauty of human morality lies. If we always succeeded, then being a good and decent person would be too easy, wouldn't it, so there would be no reason to praise it, no reason to look up to it, to strive for loftier ideals than to simply make money at whatever cost to our souls.

No matter what your religion teaches you, the mere fact that I'm sitting here right now in the security of my own home; the fact that I don't have to go out and fight a rival gang for my dinner; the fact that people are still arrested and punished for crimes ... proves to me without doubt that people try to be good.

Quote:
The difference between Christianity and the other religions is that in Christianity God did take it totally upon himself to justify us -- meaning that we do not have to work to please him. He made provision for us to be righteous.
But what does that word even mean - to be "righteous?"

Old 12-31-2013, 12:04 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,122 times
Where was God - and why was He not angry - when Columbus arrived in this hemisphere, enslave the Natives, afflicted them with smallpox, forced them to mine their gold which he plundered for the Spanish crown?

Why was God not angry when these Conquistadores came to this hemisphere and falsely proclaimed they came "in the name of God" to Christianize the so-called unholy? Why was God not angry when seeing these men use His name for the purpose of their bloodthirsty greed?

Where was God's wrath then?

It seems to have been hidden then, as much as it appears to be hidden now.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:14 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:
He's still angry and willing to pour out his wrath on sinners.
Let me get this straight. God knew before a single human walked the planet every single thing that every human would do. And he is angry at how humans act? Sounds like a lunatic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality