Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 08:47 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
You are correct, 100% correct. I cannot argue with a single thing your wrote.

However, I will leave you with one question that you are not addressing. How come soo many people believe in God, yet not a single person believes in this stupid monkey that you are talking about? Don't you find that a bit odd?
Because some people need a crutch to get through life? Because they were raised to believe? Because traditions are hard for some to let go of? Pick one. Argumentum ad populum is not a valid debate technique.
If half of the world believed in my monkey, then would you magically decide that the monkey was real? Hopefully the answer is no.
Did you ever win with that technique when you were a child? "But mooooom everyone is doing it"
My mom always responded "IF everyone was jumping off a cliff would you?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
I've given you many examples of how to prove that Santa Claus doesn't exist, but yet you give me none and continue to dodge the question. It's like, dude, you just don't have anything to support your claim so you intend on bashing mine. I didn't say anything about God, only what you are talking about, and all I asked for was proof that all of these you are saying exist.

Let's keep it on subject.
And I am turning your own question on you. If you require proof of my monkey in order for you to believe, why is it not ok for me to require proof of those who claim god exists?

Old 01-06-2014, 08:49 PM

933 posts, read 1,477,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Because some people need a crutch to get through life? Because they were raised to believe? Because traditions are hard for some to let go of? Pick one. Argumentum ad populum is not a valid debate technique.
If half of the world believed in my monkey, then would you magically decide that the monkey was real? Hopefully the answer is no.
Did you ever win with that technique when you were a child? "But mooooom everyone is doing it"
My mom always responded "IF everyone was jumping off a cliff would you?"
Okay, how do you then explain all of the paranormal happenings. Many different people have claimed to see Angels sent by God. Is that not proof?

Old 01-06-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Okay, how do you then explain all of the paranormal happenings. Many different people have claimed to see Angels sent by God. Is that not proof?
I claim to see the monkey. Does that make him real?

Take all of your arguments against the monkey and Santas existence and substitute god for monkey or Santa. Now does your god stand up to your own arguments?

Old 01-06-2014, 08:59 PM

933 posts, read 1,477,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I claim to see the monkey. Does that make him real?

Take all of your arguments against the monkey and Santas existence and substitute god for monkey or Santa. Now does your god stand up to your own arguments?
If 100s of people claimed to see the monkey, then we would have to give it a consideration, by pure faith in humanity.

It would not work to merely substitute God in for Santa or the monkey because they are two entirely different things. I mean, I don't know about you, but if I don't think invisible monkeys and God are the same thing and should be treated the same way.

Now, since you are so confident, I will go back to what I've been asking for a while now. How do you KNOW God doesn't exist? Explain in full detail.

Thanks.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
If 100s of people claimed to see the monkey, then we would have to give it a consideration, by pure faith in humanity.

It would not work to merely substitute God in for Santa or the monkey because they are two entirely different things. I mean, I don't know about you, but if I don't think invisible monkeys and God are the same thing and should be treated the same way.

Now, since you are so confident, I will go back to what I've been asking for a while now. How do you KNOW God doesn't exist? Explain in full detail.

Thanks.
Again how do you know that monkey doesn't exist?
How do you know that unicorns don't exist?
How do you know that big foot doesn't exist?
How do you know that martians don't exist?

Do you believe in all of the above? If not why?

Old 01-06-2014, 09:06 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
See, there you go again. Next thing, you will be telling me I don't know if I love my wife, because I can't rationally or scientifically prove it.
Your wife is, I'm sure, a flesh and blood woman. You can have a real, objective relationship with those, about which you can say justifiable things and have understandable feelings. And if I knew you personally I could observe that you in fact have a wife and that your behavior toward her is congruent with your stated feelings, and that the attributes you extoll in her in fact exist. None of these things are true about god.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:51 PM

27,543 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
How come soo many people believe in God
I think it's ultimately because of the fear of death and loss of loved ones forever. And also a refusal to accept nonexistence once this life has ended. It is a smack in the face to a lot of people's sense of worth and dignity that they are destined for oblivion - or so it is perceived to be.

Therefore, belief in God - and an afterlife granted by such a God - is an emotional and psychological need in people. It is part of the survival instinct.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 01-06-2014 at 09:59 PM..

Old 01-06-2014, 10:21 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Your wife is, I'm sure, a flesh and blood woman. You can have a real, objective relationship with those, about which you can say justifiable things and have understandable feelings. And if I knew you personally I could observe that you in fact have a wife and that your behavior toward her is congruent with your stated feelings, and that the attributes you extoll in her in fact exist. None of these things are true about god.
Some people don't get the concept of an allegory or illustration.

I'll explain. I can't prove to you I love my wife if I have to use rational thought or scientific evidence. Yet you will not doubt my word.

I can't prove to you that I know God is real if I have to use rational thought or scientific evidence. Yet you will doubt my word.

Funny how that works,

Another wasted post. Goodbye.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:45 PM

618 posts, read 540,664 times
Hello again David910.

There is a lot in your response, so I'm going to take it bit-by-bit.

Quote:
I disagree with your premise here.
The premise is not really mine...I am merely reviewing the rules of the scientific method.

Quote:
Yes, if proven true, they would prove Santa exists, but if proven not true, would prove Santa doesn't exist. What about that do you not understand?
Are you sure that you want to make this assertion? Let's repeat your statement, changing the name "Santa" to "god":

Quote:
Yes, if proven true, they would prove GOD exists, but if proven not true, would prove GOD doesn't exist. What about that do you not understand?
I have never seen god, never received any tangible gifts from him, never seen a home that he built for himself with his own two hands. Does this prove that god does not exist? If lack of physical evidence constitutes proof that someone or something does not exist, then what evidence will you present that proves god? Because according to the argument you made above, a lack of evidence proves non-existence.

Take your example below regarding lions. If no one had ever seen a lion, would it prove that lions don't exist? Of course it wouldn't...as you pointed out. Lions would indeed still exist, even if we had no proof of them. So you see, lacking evidence does not prove non-existence...not for lions, not for god, and not for Santa Clause. But without any evidence of lions, I could not expect the scientific community to accept them. They would reject the affirmative (lions exist) and accept the null hypothesis (lions do not exist) until new evidence came to light. Take a step back and you will see that your Santa argument is no different, I promise. It is no different not because you are somehow wrong, but because you approached the Santa issue in the correct scientific fashion.

Quote:
I think we are speaking too scientific here. Who says that this "scientific method" that you love has to be the end-all-be-all of exploring the world around us? That seems to be quite the narrow view of thinking.
You've got me on one point - I do love the scientific method. It gives as an opportunity to investigate matters in an organized, verifiable way. We owe an awful lot to discoveries made using the scientific method.

The scientific method is not the end-all-be-all, but it is what the atheists on this board expect one to use if you want to make claims about our shared reality. Remember that this discussion began when you set forth your spiritual beliefs and several of them asked for "proof." When they say "proof," they mean verifiable scientific evidence.

Quote:
If I want to try to prove that Santa doesn't exist, why can't I?
Because it is intellectually dishonest to state that you have "proven" something's non-existence by the absence of evidence. Santa Clause, lions and god are not the same thing, but we have to use the same rules for assessing every case or we aren't doing ourselves any justice.

Quote:
Science, as has been proved many times, is not the end-be-all of authority. Science still says that Bigfoot and Spirits don't exist, some still claiming evolution is not real.
True, because science is not a set of answers. It is a framework for investigation and a model of reality based on those investigations. Conclusions drawn are wrong more often than people might think, but because of the rigorous framework, errors are often corrected. By the time something makes it to a high-school or even undergrad textbook it has generally been tested, revised, tested again and confirmed many, many, many times over. That is why evolution does appear in scientific textbooks, but bigfoot does not. Anecdotal evidence is insufficient. Many people have claimed to see angels, ghosts and bigfoot. Many have also claimed to see the Loch Ness monster, chupacabra, the yeti, aliens of various shapes and dispositions...the list goes on and on.

Quote:
Because, Hyker, if God exists, it really doesn't matter if there is proof or not, when we die, we will find out for ourselves. No proof doesn't need to mean not real.
That is precisely my point - that the absence of evidence does not prove non-existence. But it does effect how others will respond to our claims.

Just as it is with Santa Clause, a lack of evidence does mean that we have no reason to believe apart from our personal faith, which is subjective. Therefore if you put that aside and function only in the objective, as many atheists/rationalists do, then there is absolutely no objective reason to believe, which is (I think) the point that most of the atheist/rationalists on this board tend to do. If you make a claim about god/spirituality/the supernatural, they are expecting objective proof. Otherwise they will reject your affirmative statement and accept the null hypothesis of non-existence. They have no more evidence than you or I...they simply refuse to believe anything without it, and that is their choice.

Quote:
If we hadn't discovered lions yet, does it mean they don't exist? At the end of the day, no matter what science says, there is no known answer to whether God exists or not, and trying to prove one way or another is a futile attempt. That is why there is such thing as belief.
I agree. But when you make claims about your beliefs, don't be surprised when atheist/rationalists ask for evidence, and don't demand evidence of others, which is how this entire discussion began.

I feel it's been a good discussion, and I have tried my hardest to avoid making it a "win or lose" argument, because that does nothing but impead honest communication. Notwithstanding, in the famous words of the fictional charecter Forrest Gump: "that's all I've got to say about that."

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality