Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 06:32 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
But ... "I cannot prove or disprove a God, so I may as well assume there is one and waste countless hours in church, studying an archaeic book, praying, devoting my life, and praising this possible god."

Think about it.
You assume that people are just going on feelings and hopeful thinking. If I agreed with you, I'd give up this Christian-theistic thing in a minute. And so would many others. But, fact is, we have evidence and events in our lives that remind us the God is real.

I have a question. Do you stereotype much?

Last edited by Mr5150; 01-07-2014 at 06:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 08:41 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,690,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
I want to respond to this. Although, I am not Christian, so I don't spend my time in Church, I hardly spend any time of all at my place of worship. I believe more in living my life the right way and the way God would want me to live it than spend my time in some stuffy synagogue dealing with all of the undesirables there.

I really don't even pray that much. I try to be a good person and I think that's good enough.
You say that you don't know much about God, but you seem to suggest that you know how he/she/it wants you to live. How would you know that unless your God has some attributes, and I don't mean physical attributes. Will your God punish people for not living the way he/she/it wants you to? If so, what type of punishment? If not, why not? How does he/she/it expect you to live? Does this reflect how he/she/it lives? Did your God create the entire universe? How? When? Why? These types of questions begs answers that provide the attributes of your God. Then, and only then, can we evaluate your God and the likelihood of his/her/its existence.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:44 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,690,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
I've never said I know what God looks, smells, feels like (God takes many forms). All I have stated that I believe he or she exists. Like I have already said (please read my posts before posting about them), we would need an entirely new supernatural scientific method. And because science and humanity doesn't know enough about the supernatural (including God), that isn't possible at this time. In 50 years? Maybe. But, right now we just need to accept there is no way to really know if he exists or not, which means it is a personal choice. If you are atheist, Catholic, Jewish, Muslim, agnostic, or whatever, I really don't care. What bugs me is when people like you try to claim that there is a right or wrong question to whether God exists or not, because nobody knows, and these earthly tests aren't going to figure it out.
Many Gods have been claimed to exist, so we must evaluate each one on it's claimed merits. IMO, we can't make blanket statements as to whether all Gods exist or do not exist.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:30 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,712,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
You assume that people are just going on feelings and hopeful thinking. If I agreed with you, I'd give up this Christian-theistic thing in a minute. And so would many others. But, fact is, we have evidence and events in our lives that remind us the God is real.

I have a question. Do you stereotype much?
It's not a stereotype to point out that one of the central themes of Christianity is that faith (i.e. belief without evidence) is a virtue. I know religious beliefs are tough to pin down, but this seems to be a pretty uncontroversial idea. Why does it make you so uncomfortable?

Old 01-08-2014, 06:58 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
It's not a stereotype to point out that one of the central themes of Christianity is that faith (i.e. belief without evidence) is a virtue. I know religious beliefs are tough to pin down, but this seems to be a pretty uncontroversial idea. Why does it make you so uncomfortable?

Old 01-08-2014, 07:39 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
It's not a stereotype to point out that one of the central themes of Christianity is that faith (i.e. belief without evidence) is a virtue. I know religious beliefs are tough to pin down, but this seems to be a pretty uncontroversial idea.
Faith as biblically defined IS evidence and is seen by Christians as evidence of highest quality -- superior, even to material, observable evidence -- as you say, faith = virtue.

If you want to get at the core of virtually all religious beliefs, it is that there are invisible supernatural entities -- whether god(s), angels, demons, spirits, demigods, dead people, etc. These invisible entities are asserted to exist and their existence is an unquestionable given. That is the nubbin of the matter, regardless of what religion is under discussion. Religions can differ on the subject (or definition of) faith, the nature of revealed truth and religious authority and orthodoxy, etc., but they always have invisible beings beyond the natural realm. That is what makes theism so dangerous: if your evidence, whether bald assertion or sincerely held belief / faith, is not subject to question, scrutiny, or substantiation, there are no effective brakes on behavior. Anything can, and eventually will, be justified in the name of belief.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:22 AM

27,544 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
If you want to get at the core of virtually all religious beliefs, it is that there are invisible supernatural entities -- whether god(s), angels, demons, spirits, demigods, dead people, etc. These invisible entities are asserted to exist and their existence is an unquestionable given.
In other words:

I believe ----> Therefore, it must be true.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:41 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
If you want to get at the core of virtually all religious beliefs, it is that there are invisible supernatural entities -- whether god(s), angels, demons, spirits, demigods, dead people, etc. These invisible entities are asserted to exist and their existence is an unquestionable given.
Well that is true, I suppose.

Those monsters under the bed and in the closet seemed pretty damn real to me too when I was a child.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:00 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
It's a simple question. Why does it make you uncomfortable that Faith (that is without adequate valid evidence, no valid evidence or even in defiance of validated evidence) is often considered to be a virtue in religion. Indeed, it seems that, the more one denies fact in favour of Faith, the stronger and more praiseworthy the faith is supposed to be.

Why does that make you uncomfortable? Or, if you maintain that it doesn't, why on earth doesn't it?

If I thought it was great to believe things on little no or counter evidence, I would deserve locking up and being given therapy.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:18 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
If I thought it was great to believe things on little no or counter evidence, I would deserve locking up and being given therapy.
And like I said in another post, those who are given to believing in things on faith are ripe picking for con artists and confidence men.

Yeah, sure, buy this invisible car for only $50,000. You just need FAITH that there's really a car there. You have faith, dontchya?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality