Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 12:57 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,891,803 times

Advertisements

Hi Mystic,

I know you have some very well thought-out theological ideas, but I don't have the patience or attention span to read and analyze some of your long posts.

I would like to ask you a couple simple questions and hopefully receive simple answers.

After that, I will probably have more simple questions. Eventually, I may understand your ideas. OK, here are my questions:

1) Do you believe in a god?

2) Do you think praying to that god does any good?

Thanks,

Hiker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 12:25 PM

OK, in case you have not see this thread, I will make it simpler for you.

I assume you believe in a god. That takes care of question 1.

How about question 2?

Old 01-09-2014, 12:26 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
You may get faster results if you send a private message.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:38 PM

63,773 posts, read 40,030,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Hi Mystic,
I know you have some very well thought-out theological ideas, but I don't have the patience or attention span to read and analyze some of your long posts.
I would like to ask you a couple simple questions and hopefully receive simple answers.
After that, I will probably have more simple questions. Eventually, I may understand your ideas. OK, here are my questions:
1) Do you believe in a god?
2) Do you think praying to that god does any good?
Thanks,
Hiker
Yes I believe in God. Whether or not praying "does any good" depends on what you mean by that. Prayer is primarily for attuning our consciousness to God and each other in love. It is its effect on OUR consciousness that is important. It does a lot of good in that aspect. I assume you are talking about getting God to do something or intervene in our physical existence in some way. Since its effects are primarily on the individual praying and their function and role in reality . . . it CAN "do some good" . . . because we can intervene. To answer what is probably your $64,000 question . . . there is no way that prayers can produce anything in violation of the laws that govern our reality.

The more intractable question about prayer is whether or not we can get effects from groups praying for others. We know that there is some effect of group mindset seen in the "home field advantage" phenomenon. But the intractability of testing such effects lies in the diversity and lack of homogeneity in groups. I believe we are all connected but we differ widely in our sensitivities and sincerity in the application of prayer. Some are practitioners but without sincere belief . . . (the majority I would guess). They are social prayer users. But there are prayer warriors who are most sincere. The group here on C-D is one such. They can have an effect in drawing God's focus to existing issues . . . much as our pain sensors draw our conscious attention to problems with our own bodies.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:49 PM

Thank you very much for answering, Mystic. I think I understand your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Whether or not praying "does any good" depends on what you mean by that.
I was asking of you thought prayer could have any effect on the actions your god would take.

Quote:
They can have an effect in drawing God's focus to existing issues . . .
Very clear answer. If prayer can help to draw God's focus to a particular problem, then the prayer has had an effect. I think I understand exactly what you are saying.

How is a prayer transmitted to God?

You have said you do not believe in supernatural events. A prayer, which is a thought in a person's brain, must get transmitted to a God somehow. Do you think this method of transmission is electromagnetic radiation, or do you have something else in mind?

Old 01-09-2014, 04:59 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,335,400 times
Quote:
You have said you do not believe in supernatural events. A prayer, which is a thought in a person's brain, must get transmitted to a God somehow. Do you think this method of transmission is electromagnetic radiation, or do you have something else in mind?
In quantum mechanics this is possible. Every path between two point is possible.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:20 PM

63,773 posts, read 40,030,593 times
Quote:
How is a prayer transmitted to God?

EM radiation is in the less than 5% of our reality that is measurable. I believe consciousness is the equivalent of EM radiation but in the unmeasurable "dark" form of energy that comprises the other 95+% of our reality.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
I believe consciousness is the equivalent of EM radiation but in the unmeasurable "dark" form of energy
OK, so prayers are transmitted via 'dark energy'.

Are they transmitted at the speed of light?

Last edited by hiker45; 01-09-2014 at 06:57 PM..

Old 01-10-2014, 06:55 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,423,502 times
Quote:
EM radiation is in the less than 5% of our reality that is measurable. I believe consciousness is the equivalent of EM radiation but in the unmeasurable "dark" form of energy that comprises the other 95+% of our reality.
Given we have no idea what dark energy or dark matter even are - the above really means nothing at all. We call them dark "energy" and dark "matter" - but have in fact got no idea as yet what they are. We could have called them "will" and "norma" with equal validity as Neil Tyson said.

Unfortunately - the choice to call them "energy" and "matter" has done little but confuse the media - and the lay man to science such as yourself - as to what they are - and how much we know about them - and has given the woo peddlar another couple of buzz words - in the deepak chopra misue of "quantum" kind of way - to bandy about in pretence of knowledge.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:41 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,065,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Given we have no idea what dark energy or dark matter even are - the above really means nothing at all. We call them dark "energy" and dark "matter" - but have in fact got no idea as yet what they are. We could have called them "will" and "norma" with equal validity as Neil Tyson said.

Unfortunately - the choice to call them "energy" and "matter" has done little but confuse the media - and the lay man to science such as yourself - as to what they are - and how much we know about them - and has given the woo peddlar another couple of buzz words - in the deepak chopra misue of "quantum" kind of way - to bandy about in pretence of knowledge.
I can not speak for my friend MysticPhD but have found that he is not a stranger to Physics and other physical sciences..

However, I do agree that we know so little about the concepts of 'Dark Energy" we have yet to even devise a means to measure it, if it even is measurable. The label is not very accurate either as it is attaching a name to something we have not really identified. We are only on the edge of doing imaginary possible experiments. Not much different than the ideas of folding the space time continuum and enabling instant travel between any 2 points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality