Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2014, 04:01 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
They want the legal rights that come with marriage. Rights of survivor-ship, right to make decisions for the other when one is incapacitated.
Lawyers can do that for you.
Quote:
You are the one that is painting that as a deviant behavior. You are the one with the problem, for you are the one that won't simply butt out and let people live their life. Because of your visibility in religion, as a preacher-man, you are the ugliest side of the bigotry and hate that represents.
My objection to 2 men and 2 women calling each other "wife" are not simply for religious reasons. I've repeatedly asked you guys to give a legitimate reason for changing the definition of marriage. No one has.
Quote:
Civil marriage is a marriage performed, recorded, and recognized by a government official
Quote:
Marriage is a socially or ritually recognized union or legal contract between spouses that establishes rights and obligations between them, between them and their children, and between them and their in-laws.

I am in a 44 year long marriage, recognized by the government, and there was no hocus pocus performance, nor were any imaginary friends involved.
Just wondering....did they ask you if you were gay 44 years ago?
Quote:
Does the fact that god was never mentioned in our vows, nor was 'obey', chafe you in unpleasant ways or places. I can only hope so. It is between two people that love each other, and why in hell are you so damn uptight about what they have between their legs.
Did they ask you if you loved your wife when you got your marriage application? Was that the only requirement?

Old 01-14-2014, 04:03 PM

650 posts, read 514,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
What? Liquid resource? What are you talking about?

And heteros do not have a special right to the legal protections of marriage. Gays getting married would in no way prevent heteros from getting married. So their right is in no way abridged.

The whole thing is crazy, arguing for nothing, the people who are using all this should just flat out say its about the privileges and be done with it.

Last edited by alexcanter; 01-14-2014 at 04:17 PM..

Old 01-14-2014, 04:08 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcanter View Post
The whole thing is crazy, arguing for nothing, the people who are using all this should just flat out say its about the privileges and be done with it.
What do you think we are fighting for?

EQUAL PROTECTIONS OF THE LAWS.

Those protections are the privileges. Having a wedding in a church is not what we are fighting for. Having a wedding in a church does not provide ANY legal protections. Having a wedding in a church is in no way required to receive those 1100+ legal protections. A LEGAL CIVIL MARRIAGE is.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:09 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcanter View Post
Can it be shown for this assumption where the founding father's had any notion to include homosexuality in the law ?

did they not know about homosexuality and if so, why was it not included in the writings, aren't laws and documents all about being specific. Just because religions for the majority side with the traditional, what has that got to do with the content and intent of the law alongside the frame which outlines the family unit and word marriage.
Are you arguing that only those specifically written about by the founders are entitled to constitutional protections?

Old 01-14-2014, 04:10 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
What do you think we are fighting for?

EQUAL PROTECTIONS OF THE LAWS.

Those protections are the privileges. Having a wedding in a church is not what we are fighting for. Having a wedding in a church does not provide ANY legal protections. Having a wedding in a church is in no way required to receive those 1100+ legal protections. A LEGAL CIVIL MARRIAGE is.
I've said this...you don't really want "Equal"...you want special. The fact is, you can get married, just like me. We have the exact same rules to abide by.

Now...if your TRULY want marriage equality, why aren't you whining about the guy that can't marry his mother? Or the man that can't have 4 wives? Or the woman that can't marry her brother? Or the 2 sisters that can't get married?

Old 01-14-2014, 04:12 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post

Just wondering....did they ask you if you were gay 44 years ago?

Forty four years ago any man who admitted to being gay was 1) Beat up 2) Kicked out of the Armed Forces 3) Thrown out by his family 4) So far in the closet, for fear of being called a deviant, that his own m.o.t.h.e.r. was in denial she had a gay child. 5.) Married to a woman in a farce of a marriage so they could appear straight to the world and keep their jobs.

Take your pick. I left out the young kids who ran away from home (because their macho fathers couldn't deal with having a gay 15-year old) who took to selling themselves on the street to "good Christian men" who were themselves on the down low. LOTS of both of those. Still are.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:16 PM

650 posts, read 514,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
Are you arguing that only those specifically written about by the founders are entitled to constitutional protections?
no and didn't imply at all, plus I'm late and gotta get back to responsibility, also its not good to argue about this thing too much.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:19 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
I've said this...you don't really want "Equal"...you want special. The fact is, you can get married, just like me. We have the exact same rules to abide by.

Now...if your TRULY want marriage equality, why aren't you whining about the guy that can't marry his mother? Or the man that can't have 4 wives? Or the woman that can't marry her brother? Or the 2 sisters that can't get married?
Really? I can marry a woman just like you can? In case you forgot gender is a protected class and the government can not discriminate based on gender.

Plus, that argument was tried and failed in every case since Loving V Virginia. It was tried in the Prop 8 case and failed. It was tried in the Utah case and failed. It was tried in the DOMA case and failed. But I guess you know more about constitutional law that all of those judges including the supreme court.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:23 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Lawyers can do that for you.
No they can't.

These legal rights are granted by marriage, and a lawyer cannot create these rights.

Tax Benefits

• Filing joint income tax returns with the IRS and state taxing authorities.
  • Creating a "family partnership" under federal tax laws, which allows you to divide business income among family members.
Estate Planning Benefits

• Inheriting a share of your spouse's estate.
  • Receiving an exemption from both estate taxes and gift taxes for all property you give or leave to your spouse.
  • Creating life estate trusts that are restricted to married couples, including QTIP trusts, QDOT trusts, and marital deduction trusts.
  • Obtaining priority if a conservator needs to be appointed for your spouse -- that is, someone to make financial and/or medical decisions on your spouse's behalf.
Government Benefits

• Receiving Social Security, Medicare, and disability benefits for spouses.
  • Receiving veterans' and military benefits for spouses, such as those for education, medical care, or special loans.
  • Receiving public assistance benefits.
Employment Benefits

• Obtaining insurance benefits through a spouse's employer.
  • Taking family leave to care for your spouse during an illness.
  • Receiving wages, workers' compensation, and retirement plan benefits for a deceased spouse.
  • Taking bereavement leave if your spouse or one of your spouse's close relatives dies.
Medical Benefits

• Visiting your spouse in a hospital intensive care unit or during restricted visiting hours in other parts of a medical facility.
  • Making medical decisions for your spouse if he or she becomes incapacitated and unable to express wishes for treatment.
Death Benefits

• Consenting to after-death examinations and procedures.
  • Making burial or other final arrangements.
Family Benefits

• Filing for stepparent or joint adoption.
  • Applying for joint foster care rights.
  • Receiving equitable division of property if you divorce.
  • Receiving spousal or child support, child custody, and visitation if you divorce.
Housing Benefits

• Living in neighborhoods zoned for "families only."
  • Automatically renewing leases signed by your spouse.
Consumer Benefits

• Receiving family rates for health, homeowners', auto, and other types of insurance.
  • Receiving tuition discounts and permission to use school facilities.
  • Other consumer discounts and incentives offered only to married couples or families.
Other Legal Benefits and Protections

• Suing a third person for wrongful death of your spouse and loss of consortium (loss of intimacy).
  • Suing a third person for offenses that interfere with the success of your marriage, such as alienation of affection and criminal conversation (these laws are available in only a few states).
  • Claiming the marital communications privilege, which means a court can't force you to disclose the contents of confidential communications between you and your spouse during your marriage.
  • Receiving crime victims' recovery benefits if your spouse is the victim of a crime.
  • Obtaining immigration and residency benefits for noncitizen spouse.
  • Visiting rights in jails and other places where visitors are restricted to immediate family.
Your lack of knowledge about life in the real world is franking beyond my comprehension.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:23 PM

150 posts, read 183,215 times
Wow after reading this forum, I thought the politics section on homosexuality was bad. This thread takes it up a level.

My solution to people who don't want to get married to the some sex is to NOT get married to the same sex. Let everyone else live their lives. If it's offensive or disrespectful to your religious beliefs, then so be it. Nobody has to cater your religious beliefs. The world doesn't owe anything to your religious beliefs. You're nobody special. If gay marriage threatens or cheapens your marriage, you have insecurities in your marriage and that is nobody's problem but yours. Let us have the equal rights we deserve. I'm tired of my rights being taken away because the religious are butt hurt about two men or two women getting married. It's their life not yours. So butt out and leave people alone.

Last edited by Okipower120190; 01-14-2014 at 05:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality