Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 10:32 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Oh, Miss Hepburn. Now you've done it. The "vibration" thing
is really going to set them off.
You're so funny! And right!

Gee, Pleroo, I'm a little surprised someone hasn't thought that you and
I are the same person!!!
I could write a cookbook and say,' this recipe is so fabulous'...and people here
would think I was full of myself.(!!)
There is no changing the glasses people see the world thru...imo, that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 10:35 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
You're so funny! And right!

Gee, Pleroo, I'm a little surprised someone hasn't thought that you and
I are the same person!!!
I could write a cookbook and say,' this recipe is so fabulous'...and people here
would think I was full of myself.(!!)
There is no changing the glasses people see the world thru...imo, that is.
Unless they want them changed.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:07 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Are you saying you find it offensive if someone thinks they are unique or special in some way?

But putting that aside for the moment, I have not noticed anyone in this thread saying that the LOA or "you reap what you sow" does NOT apply to everyone. Just the opposite, really. Seems that Miss H is simply saying that if you are aware of it, you can have fun with it.
Yes it's offensive to the millions of parents whose children die everyday from starvation, disease, and natural disasters, that some supernatural being is more aware of someone giving the money they found to a needy person enough to reward them, yet ignoring these innocent little ones who are truly suffering in this world through no fault of their own.

There's no evidence or scientific basis for the LOA (the Secret as some call it) belief. The closest that can be somewhat proven is the placebo effect.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Yes it's offensive to the millions of parents whose children die everyday from starvation, disease, and natural disasters, that some supernatural being is more aware of someone giving the money they found to a needy person enough to reward them, yet ignoring these innocent little ones who are truly suffering in this world through no fault of their own.
You're kind of mixing things up here. I asked if YOU are offended by people thinking they are special or unique. But you're answering how other people, who believe a God exists (which you do not), are offended by God (not people who think they are special) not paying more attention to them.

What I'm gathering is that what really offends you is when someone thinks God is paying special attention to them because it shows a lack of concern for others who are suffering?

But the law of attraction says nothing at all about God paying more or less attention to people. God plays no part in it whatsoever, other than perhaps having put the law into operation. It's supposedly a universal law that applies to everyone, across the board, and it doesn't play favorites.

Quote:
There's no evidence or scientific basis for the LOA (the Secret as some call it) belief. The closest that can be somewhat proven is the placebo effect.
And yet, Miss H believes it to be effective in a positive way in her own life. Certainly that is not offensive to you?

Old 01-28-2014, 11:45 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
What if a homeless person lost that $20 that Miss H found in her garden and gave away?

Old 01-28-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
You're kind of mixing things up here. I asked if YOU are offended by people thinking they are special or unique. But you're answering how other people, who believe a God exists (which you do not), are offended by God (not people who think they are special) not paying more attention to them.

What I'm gathering is that what really offends you is when someone thinks God is paying special attention to them because it shows a lack of concern for others who are suffering?

But the law of attraction says nothing at all about God paying more or less attention to people. God plays no part in it whatsoever, other than perhaps having put the law into operation. It's supposedly a universal law that applies to everyone, across the board, and it doesn't play favorites.

And yet, Miss H believes it to be effective in a positive way in her own life. Certainly that is not offensive to you?
I'm offended FOR them, since they are quite unaware of her claim. I'm not gay, but I am offended for my gay friends when politicians want to prevent gay people from getting married.
As a people we are allowed to be outraged at anyone thinking they are better than anyone else, especially when they announce it on a public forum as a "Look at me" moment. Does she or anyone else think that all these starving children need to do is to think "good thoughts" and they will be nutritionally sustained?

Old 01-28-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I'm offended FOR them, since they are quite unaware of her claim. I'm not gay, but I am offended for my gay friends when politicians want to prevent gay people from getting married.
What makes you think Miss H (or those who believe as she does) is trying to prevent other people from having anything?

Quote:
As a people we are allowed to be outraged at anyone thinking they are better than anyone else, especially when they announce it on a public forum as a "Look at me" moment.
Well, this has been addressed pretty thoroughly already in this thread. Some of you see this post/thread in a completely different (negative) way than others of us do. No amount of discussion is apparently going to change the way you see it, but at no point can I recall Miss H declaring she was better than anyone else.

Quote:
Does she or anyone else think that all these starving children need to do is to think "good thoughts" and they will be nutritionally sustained?

That's a good question, although it oversimplifies things, in my view. I do not think "reaping and sowing", or LOA, on a personal level is the only law in effect because then I would have to discount our interconnectedness, and how we all impact each other on many levels.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
What makes you think Miss H (or those who believe as she does) is trying to prevent other people from having anything?

I wasn't quite clear because I was typing in a hurry, so I apologize. I was simply providing an example of when else I have been offended for a third person(s). I'm not claiming that she was doing so, other than by taking what she found, which wasn't hers, and giving it to another person.

Well, this has been addressed pretty thoroughly already in this thread. Some of you see this post/thread in a completely different (negative) way than others of us do. No amount of discussion is apparently going to change the way you see it, but at no point can I recall Miss H declaring she was better than anyone else.

When one perceives that one is rewarded for an action by a supernatural force, when another person is not does suggest elitism. And, why would her "God" take $40 from another person to reward her? Also, she has consistently claimed to have had a special experience by what she perceives as God, to which no one else is privileged. I see no other way to interpret her claims.

That's a good question, although it oversimplifies things, in my view. I do not think "reaping and sowing", or LOA, on a personal level is the only law in effect because then I would have to discount our interconnectedness, and how we all impact each other on many levels.
Your final paragraph seems to be a convenient way to explain away what seems to be inconsistencies in the LOA belief, does it not?

Old 01-28-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Your final paragraph seems to be a convenient way to explain away what seems to be inconsistencies in the LOA belief, does it not?
As I see it, it's no more convenient than acknowledging that physical laws work together in such a way that, if you weren't aware of all the laws, would create seeming inconsistencies in the laws you are aware of.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
As I see it, it's no more convenient than acknowledging that physical laws work together in such a way that, if you weren't aware of all the laws, would create seeming inconsistencies in the laws you are aware of.
This seems to make the whole concept irrelevant, doesn't it? Yes, I believe that physical laws work together, but the LOA is not a physical law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality