Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 06:01 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,085,921 times

Advertisements

One should consider if one's thinking, one's thought patterns, are leading to unhealthy results

Does a person's thought process cause such inner unhappiness, fear of a devil which is ready to take an punish them for all eternity, or a wildly egotistical god that might torment them as well, and somehow absolves a person of all personal responsibility, then I would say we are looking at delusion thinking manifested in clinical depression perhaps.

I have encountered so many Christians who are so unhappy in life, and will not lift a finger to help themselves because they believe that if they were meant to be anything other than miserable, then god would have made it so. And they waste their entire lives with the thought that the afterworld will be better.
And I have observed so many who have somatic problems, and again, no one to facilitate or advocate for them. Because religion preys upon them, and a church leader will make more money off of a depressed and weak-minded individual than a strong and independent one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 06:33 PM

20,440 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
One should consider if one's thinking, one's thought patterns, are leading to unhealthy results

Does a person's thought process cause such inner unhappiness, fear of a devil which is ready to take an punish them for all eternity, or a wildly egotistical god that might torment them as well, and somehow absolves a person of all personal responsibility, then I would say we are looking at delusion thinking manifested in clinical depression perhaps.

I have encountered so many Christians who are so unhappy in life, and will not lift a finger to help themselves because they believe that if they were meant to be anything other than miserable, then god would have made it so. And they waste their entire lives with the thought that the afterworld will be better.
And I have observed so many who have somatic problems, and again, no one to facilitate or advocate for them. Because religion preys upon them, and a church leader will make more money off of a depressed and weak-minded individual than a strong and independent one.
What % of Christians would you say fit your scenario?

Old 01-17-2014, 07:40 PM

995 posts, read 956,030 times
I find it amazing how a doctrine can take the practice of murder for terrorism and make people deem it holy. Here you have the head of the religion teach that we all should respect the laws of this book, is condemned to die by this book, is ruthlessly murdered in the most horrible of ways, and the doctrine that had him condemned there is deemed all wise and the word of God and the model of morality. That is astonishing.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:59 PM

995 posts, read 956,030 times
There are two things that stand out and come to mind where Buddha stands directly against Christianity. One, is Buddha teaches his disciples to never use miracles to gain converts, but to instead use reason, because using miracles will make people blindly follow you. The second thing is the Buddha teaches that the most important thing in life is to have the right doctrine, and to always question doctrines. Don't believe in things just because it is written in some "holy book". Be suspicious. Jesus and most of his followers never question the Bible, or Islam, or anything else. They never question the morality of Moses because he is the man of miracles, and the "authority" on God without question. When they need to question! They blindly follow, and they teach others to blindly follow the man of miracles and his doctrine, or else, which is going against the teachings of the Buddha.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:01 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
No perishing is unhealthy which was where I was going before I found my religion
I now have an anchor many dont

Old 01-18-2014, 06:23 AM

19,994 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
perishing is unhealthy which was where I was going before I found my religion
I now have an anchor many dont
Who told you that you were perishing? How do you know they were telling you the truth?

How do you know that you haven't simply been provided a backstory to explain the uneasiness and insecurity you already had? How do you know that this wasn't simply a standard-issue psychological byproduct of how you were raised and socialized?

How do you know that your vulnerability hasn't simply been manipulated to control you?

Old 01-18-2014, 07:00 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,085,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
What % of Christians would you say fit your scenario?
I cannot give current statistics, because I do not associate with large population groups of Christians. What I see are the ones who show up on our service, who are self proclaimed Christians suffering from mental of physical (and in many cases, somatic) illness. I also have my experiences growing up in a fundy church, where maladaptive thinking and behavior was at the core of most individual's daily banal existence.

I can say that yes, it happens. I have given specifics on other posts here as well.

I have met zero well adjusted, mentally healthy evangelical or fundamentalist Christians but a few well adjusted healthy liberal Christians (Episcopalians, Unity members etc)....

Old 01-18-2014, 10:12 AM

2,414 posts, read 1,447,520 times
Now what happens if one were to meet a fundamentalist christian who enjoys life and not depressed? Does that ruin the overall outlook of such christians or are they the exception?

Old 01-18-2014, 10:15 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Who told you that you were perishing? How do you know they were telling you the truth?

How do you know that you haven't simply been provided a backstory to explain the uneasiness and insecurity you already had? How do you know that this wasn't simply a standard-issue psychological byproduct of how you were raised and socialized?

How do you know that your vulnerability hasn't simply been manipulated to control you?
truth is verified by demonstration.
what you choose to belief if none of my concern.
when david slew goliath posters like you said he got lucky.
LOL

Old 01-18-2014, 11:58 AM

19,994 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
truth is verified by demonstration.
what you choose to belief if none of my concern.
when david slew goliath posters like you said he got lucky.
LOL
Those were serious questions. And those weren't serious responses.

That's fine; you have the right to believe whatever you want, as do I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality