Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 04:32 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times

Advertisements

Would atheists even join internet message boards if there were no religion forums? It seems to me it's their reason for being, to make disparaging comments when someone quotes the bible. Do atheists have anything on their mind besides attacking religion. Those I'm familiar with can quote far more of the bible than many who practice Christianity.

Do some atheists verbally attack members of Islam or is that an acceptable belief to atheists? Is it only the Christian God that irks atheists?

Old 01-21-2014, 04:37 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,795,328 times
That's an unfair assessment of all atheists, there are maybe a handful of militant atheists but most of us just want to be left alone and not have your religion shoved down our throats. Debating is what we do here, if you can't handle the heat get out of the kitchen.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:45 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
It seems to me that many of the so-called "militant" atheists who can quote chapter and verse can do so because they were once believers.

They have every right to espouse their beliefs (or lack of) on message boards. As do believers.

Methinks the OP might be a smidge shaky in his/her faith, if a few internet heathens can cause such consternation....

Old 01-21-2014, 04:57 PM

416 posts, read 630,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [URL="//www.city-data.com/forum/members/rubi3-1276224.html"
Rubi3[/url]]Those I'm familiar with can quote far more of the bible than many who practice Christianity.
It's almost as though these atheists were previously devoted Christians who took their beliefs seriously but through study and practice came to realize what a load of garbage they were told, and being devoted people, took being lied to very seriously... They behave as you would almost expect people who were grievously deceived to act. No? Maybe if they were previously Muslim and lived in a Muslim dominated society they'd talk about Islam, because that would then be what they know so much about.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:02 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Would atheists even join internet message boards if there were no religion forums? It seems to me it's their reason for being, to make disparaging comments when someone quotes the bible. Do atheists have anything on their mind besides attacking religion. Those I'm familiar with can quote far more of the bible than many who practice Christianity.

Do some atheists verbally attack members of Islam or is that an acceptable belief to atheists? Is it only the Christian God that irks atheists?
Gee, why could it be that atheists living in countries dominated by Christians gravitate more towards discussing Christianity than Islam? Real stumper there. Are you equally perplexed as to why atheists don't focus just as much on Zeus, or the Quetzalcoatl?

Here's a hint - atheists in the United States are more concerned with Christianity than Islam in the same way that non-communists in the USSR were more with communism than, say, monarchies or military juntas. Frankly, the answer to what befuddles you is so glaringly obvious as to be utterly ridiculous that it mystifies anyone.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
It seems to me that many of the so-called "militant" atheists who can quote chapter and verse can do so because they were once believers.

They have every right to espouse their beliefs (or lack of) on message boards. As do believers.

Methinks the OP might be a smidge shaky in his/her faith, if a few internet heathens can cause such consternation....
I don't think my post demonstrates consternation. It is merely an inquiry about something I've noticed. I'm not a religious person, but, I've been on message boards for many years and it's the same on them all. There is nothing rude about my questions that I can see, nor is there hostile intent.

I realize they have every right to be here, just as I do, but is there really anything new to debate or either side?

Old 01-21-2014, 05:14 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
This happens. Yes, and black people are always attacking whites. Gays are always attacking fundamentalists Christians, Mormons. Women are always attacking men. It's puzzling isn't it? I'm not sure why this is?????? Get your detective gloves on and let us know what you find.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:15 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
I think the internet is their only outlet. Half of the stuff I've heard online from atheist have never been said in front of me or to my face. Not that I think their scared of me. But I definitely think they will feel ostracized. But it's their own fault. They don't present any of their cases kindly or respectfully. And people generally do not like to have their beliefs challenged when they were never in a competition or game to begin with.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:16 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I don't think my post demonstrates consternation. It is merely an inquiry about something I've noticed. I'm not a religious person, but, I've been on message boards for many years and it's the same on them all. There is nothing rude about my questions that I can see, nor is there hostile intent.

I realize they have every right to be here, just as I do, but is there really anything new to debate or either side?
No, there's not much new really, but there are always new members to read the debates. You'll notice that many of the old theist posters have faded into the background, with new ones here now. In most debates of this nature, when their belief system is shown to be flawed, they are no longer interested.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Gee, why could it be that atheists living in countries dominated by Christians gravitate more towards discussing Christianity than Islam? Real stumper there. Are you equally perplexed as to why atheists don't focus just as much on Zeus, or the Quetzalcoatl?

Here's a hint - atheists in the United States are more concerned with Christianity than Islam in the same way that non-communists in the USSR were more with communism than, say, monarchies or military juntas. Frankly, the answer to what befuddles you is so glaringly obvious as to be utterly ridiculous that it mystifies anyone.
My message board experience isn't limited to the United States. Sorry I didn't phrase it better. It's curious to me the hostility in your post. What's the point of that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality