Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 06:55 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times

Advertisements

And I hope that I am not violating any TOS rules of this site.

But I was stuck by this post which gave me some insight into the skeptic's mindset

//www.city-data.com/forum/33121767-post15.html

Has to do with the speculation aspect of what I see so often. Preconceived mindset, I think. "If it can be explained away by a possible natural explanation" then it is assumed that supernatural event is not true. Speculation in my opinion. I would prefer solid evidence that something is a fake or the Actual result of an actual natural phenomenon .

Give me evidence, not opinion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 07:41 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,894,522 times
What is the point of your post?

Old 01-21-2014, 08:06 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
What is the point of your post?
Glad I wasn't the only one scratching my head.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:23 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
I assume you are talking about this post "Something is suggestive of supernatural only if you have exhausted every possible natural explanation for the event." and not your response.

The sun traversing the sky every day was once assumed to be supernatural because any natural explanation just didn't fit man's preconceived notions about the world they saw. The problem was a lack of information, knowledge and understanding.

The failing was that many gave up and surrendered to the ignorance of calling it supernatural. What's wrong with saying 'we don't know because we don't have enough information'. The 'goddunit' cry is only an excuse to play the willful ignorance card.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:30 PM

484 posts, read 882,731 times
Shouldn't most of the burden of providing evidence fall on the supernatural explanation? ...Or do you assume the supernatural is more plausible than the natural?

Old 01-21-2014, 08:31 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times
There is no excuse to be played. The world and humanity are living evidence and manifestations of a creator. You choose to deny it. And that is your choice. But it is NOT fact. This world and humanity was sprung from the mind of God and created by him. You are just living in it.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:53 PM

484 posts, read 882,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
There is no excuse to be played. The world and humanity are living evidence and manifestations of a creator. You choose to deny it. And that is your choice. But it is NOT fact. This world and humanity was sprung from the mind of God and created by him. You are just living in it.
Suppose what you say is true. What makes you so sure that the Christian God is the Creator as opposed to all others?

Old 01-21-2014, 08:56 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
You're just wrong but you choose to deny it.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:21 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,373,852 times
Quote:
There is no excuse to be played. The world and humanity are living evidence and manifestations of a creator.
Why? Because you simply assert it to be so? Or because you have the first shred of substantiation for the postulations you simply bandy around for the sake of it?

Quote:
This world and humanity was sprung from the mind of God and created by him.
Why? Because you simply assert it to be so? Or because you have the first shred of substantiation for the postulations you simply bandy around for the sake of it?

Old 01-22-2014, 05:17 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
I don't see that and TOS is being flouted.. This is a good point or question. And I love people who go out on limbs.

Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
"Something is suggestive of supernatural only if you have exhausted every possible natural explanation for the event."

Mr 5150 "The problem with "every possible natural explanation" is that said possible explanations are mere opinion. Facts are facts. It could be this or that is not the same as "this is actually what is going on".

There are two points here. The Grandstander one is that a supernatural explanation should be considered only when all possible natural explanations have failed to provide an explanation.

The problem there is that, if that happens, the event only becomes 'unexplained'. It does not become 'supernatural'. For that we require some definite hard evidence that some supernatural mechanism was involved, and that is a hard one to prove.I'm almost inclined to say that this line leads no -where and the better results come from looking at the increasing number of 'natural' explanations. because they should increase the amount of credit that 'natural' explanations should be given.

Now, you point is more the 'how do we know what we know' argument, which essentially argues that validated data is only based on human understanding. We had some lively debates recently about the validity of science vs. divine revelation.
To me it is simple: science has a good track record on reliable data. Religion does not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality