Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 04:49 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Perhaps a better guide is to do a google search for "Church buildings for sale by State" quite surprising. I did such recently when looking for a large building at a low price. Was really flabbergast at the number of Churches available.

Or even look for realty firms that specialize in such. It seems there are quite a few churches available for purchase in every large city.
My word, LI, I am looking for new accommodation, or I shall have to start sweeping up here or something, and it never occurred to me to look at unwanted chapels and churches being flogged off for being turned into something habitable by flesh and blood. The prices are surprisingly reasonable.

I rather fancy a bathroom with a stained glass window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 07:03 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,073,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
My word, LI, I am looking for new accommodation, or I shall have to start sweeping up here or something, and it never occurred to me to look at unwanted chapels and churches being flogged off for being turned into something habitable by flesh and blood. The prices are surprisingly reasonable.

I rather fancy a bathroom with a stained glass window.
You might be surprised as to what can be found. I have a friend that converted a former Baptist Church into a Home. Actually quite amazing. the Baptismal Font, Tub , ( whatever the baptists call it) became a fantastic hot tub. The pews were taken out and sold individually as Garden Benches. they brought in nearly what the church cost. After the Pews were sold simple walls divided the interior into some really nice rooms. The Church Kitchen and Classrooms needed very little changes, to make them functional.

In Lamoure ND a former church has become a 'Bait Shop" the Baptistry has proven to be excellent for holding minnows.

We were looking for one to convert into our home, but instead found the house we now live in.

This is not a new trend. If one has a spare Million dollars or so, it is possible to get some nice 12th-14th century Cathedrals or Monasteries in Europe or the UK. HERE ( a couple are new, having been built in the 1800s)

Old 01-26-2014, 07:47 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,073,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Yet in Africa there has been a huge growth of Christianity in the last 100 years. For instance, in 1900, there were approximately 10 million Christians in Africa. By 2000, there were 360 million. How Christianity is Growing Around the World

Of course there has been a decline in percentages of people that are Christian in the Western world and Eastern Europe, yet a century ago the bulk of Christians lived in the Western World and in Eastern Europe.
Just as Christianity developed a "New flavor" in the Americas in the 1800s I doubt you would recognize what Christianity is becoming in Africa. the earliest warning was Joseph Koney and the Lord's Resistance Army. while that has been pretty much condemned by most of the World's Christians. Christianity in Africa is becoming a disaster.

Some examples

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

What is fast spreading as Christianity in Africa has very little resemblance to Western Christianity. Some perhaps many of the "Evangelical Missionaries" need to share the blame for what is happening in Africa.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:32 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,213,089 times
Quote:
Well I know a African Christian and he surely does not assimilate his traditional beliefs with Christianity as he was converted to it as a youngster and would be considered a fundamentalist Christian if he lived in the States. He tried to preach and convert to people to the religion where I worked at.

Anyway you mentioned a born again in Ghana had wife and kids and also had girlfriends/prosititues. Well those things also happen to preachers in the States and example was the highest paid televangelist in the 1980s who name was Jimmy Swaggart. He was earning over $100 million a year at one stage. He was on just about every TV channel too. It was the golden age of televangelism.
I HAVE SINNED - YouTube
There were also other high profile televangelists as well that were busted due to similar circumstances and other circumstances that have been sinful. In addition there was also a few years ago a pastor who earned a great deal of money as he owned a megachurch and he condemned gay marriages yet at the same time he was having a 2 year relationship with a male prostitute and he was using Meth. I was also years ago a part of a church were one of the pastors was caught up in a scandal. Hypocrisy within the Church is common yet not all Church goers are hypocrites.

Europe and North America too does hold traditional beliefs within its Christian population where former pagan practises were converted into Christianity and a good example is Halloween.
I am pretty aware of the US shenanigans and I cited two examples of folk I have interacted with. There are many others I have conversed with in passing and it is a trend, not an exception. Their witchdoctors are like traditional healers and they can claim from medical insurance the service costs of these folk, by white terms they are witches known as sangomas and they practice potions and spells.

Halloween is not the only pagan practice, there is a lot embedded in christianity and paganism is rife. Christmas and Easter are the other well known ones. We do not do Halloween here in SA apart from some folk that have parties (an excuse to get wasted)

Ghana is very religious and you have xian programming on the state radio and TV. Even their businesses have xian themed names which are sometimes hilarious. Nice folk and for the most part honest.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:13 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:
Yet in Africa there has been a huge growth of Christianity in the last 100 years. For instance, in 1900, there were approximately 10 million Christians in Africa. By 2000, there were 360 million. How Christianity is Growing Around the World

Of course there has been a decline in percentages of people that are Christian in the Western world and Eastern Europe, yet a century ago the bulk of Christians lived in the Western World and in Eastern Europe.
Because missionaries make them claim to be christians and then drill a well to provide clean water as a reward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality