Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 12:12 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times

Advertisements

WHY???? Would God want a blood sacrifice from this little, itty bitty planet among
100billion galaxies? Or is it 150 billion....with 150 billions stars like our Sun in each one...
It is a made up story....I know it's hard to get centuries of made up stories outta
your head, but come on.
And if it WERE true...who would love a Creator/Father that would?
Does any of this get thru to die hard Bible believers? Ever?
Sorry, it just gets so old. I'm breathing now and not bothered by others' beliefs.
But I'll leave this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 12:18 PM

Btw, ransom found in Matt 20:28
Mk 10:45
1 Tim 2:6

From my concordance...just in NT, that is.

Jer 31:11. Interesting, Jacob was ransomed, also.

There's plenty more in OT.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:23 PM

439 posts, read 426,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
May I say looking at the Title....the Bible doesn't love anything...it is a book.
Subtle, but gotta watch this kind of incorrect thinking...it leads to more
incorrect ideas....ok....continue.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't say that. This really hurt when I read it. You just said God doesn't love anything. And that couldn't be further from the truth. I don't mean to make you upset. But you are wrong. The Bible DOES love! It's NOT just a book. It's the Word!

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Who was made flesh? Jesus was made flesh. Jesus was God robed in flesh.

Conclusion: The Bible is the God's written word and the Word WAS God! AND GOD LOVES!!!!!! And you said "it is a book...gotta watch this kind of incorrect thinking." I'm sorry, but THIS is a good example of what causes incorrect thinking. We MUST acquaint ourselves with the Bible! People will lead others astray if they don't know what they're talking about or what the Bible TRULY says.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:40 PM

Honey, I luv ya. I do...I feel your heart and intentions. xxoo

But...and this is hard to "get"....it was not easy for me.
Yes, many things were directly inspired by God or the Holy Spirit.
Agreed. There are many beautiful, glorious truths written in the Bible...ok?

But, this is the thing that is very imp to understand...In the beginning was the Word...
This was before paper, planets, vocal chords, lips, or pencils....in the beginning.

This Word or one verse, uni-verse, primordial vibration that is the essence of everything, the Sat Naam,
the Inner Sound Current, the Lord's Name...is not contained in a book.

If every Bible were burned....the Vibration or Om (feeble vocal representation) or Essence of All would
still be there.
Be still and experience it...directly, personally, inside yourself.
It is making your fingernails grow right now...feel it.

Yes, one verse from the Bible can enliven your spirit. One sentence of truth from anyone can do
the same...because the soul recognizes it as truth...not the intellectual mind...the heart.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:43 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
God was the one being paid. Romans 3 states that Jesus was the propitiation for our sin -- so that God's wrath is not poured out on men.
Yes. I suspect if I took the time to look up the 2 or 3 NT references to "ransom" I'd find modern translations using a different word, and hopefully not a technical theological term like "propitiation". "Payment" would probably be the most straightforward.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:43 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post

Yes, one verse from the Bible can enliven your spirit. One sentence of truth from anyone can do
the same...because the soul recognizes it as truth...not the intellectual mind...the heart.
More good stuff, Miss Hepburn.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:44 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown0830 View Post
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't say that. This really hurt when I read it. You just said God doesn't love anything. And that couldn't be further from the truth. I don't mean to make you upset. But you are wrong. The Bible DOES love! It's NOT just a book. It's the Word!

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Who was made flesh? Jesus was made flesh. Jesus was God robed in flesh.

Conclusion: The Bible is the God's written word and the Word WAS God! AND GOD LOVES!!!!!! And you said "it is a book...gotta watch this kind of incorrect thinking." I'm sorry, but THIS is a good example of what causes incorrect thinking. We MUST acquaint ourselves with the Bible! People will lead others astray if they don't know what they're talking about or what the Bible TRULY says.
Moderator cut: deleted

For most people, the bible is simply a book - a compendium of myths with a sprinkling of truths and half-truths hidden amidst the dross.

It can no more love than a stone.

Last edited by june 7th; 01-29-2014 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: Offensive to other member.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:46 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown0830 View Post
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't say that. This really hurt when I read it. You just said God doesn't love anything. And that couldn't be further from the truth.
So you are a bibliolater then?

The Bible is a book, not a god.

That whole business about the Logos as a name for Jesus is a metaphor, not a literal equating of Jesus with the Bible. It simply asserts that Jesus is the "living" word, is eternal, etc. Not that he is literally the Bible.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:51 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Yes. I suspect if I took the time to look up the 2 or 3 NT references to "ransom" I'd find modern translations using a different word, and hopefully not a technical theological term like "propitiation". "Payment" would probably be the most straightforward.
Mark 10 uses the term "ransom". Romans 3:25 uses "propitiation". As does 1 John 2:2 and 1 John 4:10.

The idea is that Christ did pay for our sins. Propitiation is a term that means the turning away of wrath--which Christ did by his sacrifice.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:02 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,446,794 times
If this were God's world, then the only reason God would need someone sacrificed for any purpose would be if he wanted it that way. Who else could make death, damnation, and/or sacrifice necessary?

It sounds so freakish, until you remember the culture of the people who created these stories.

Last edited by roscomac; 01-29-2014 at 01:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality