Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 02:54 PM

9,675 posts, read 9,966,783 times

Advertisements

How would you look to God if you were beaten and whipped and dragged around and condemn and intimidated before the authorities and betrayed and rejected and then they put a crown of thorns on your head and drove a spike through your hands and feet into a wooden cross and stood up the cross with gravity against those spikes , bloodied, them mocked you and took your clothes and wagered them off .... How would you look to God the Saviour and say ``how`s your day ``?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 03:00 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,077,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
How would you look to God if you were beaten and whipped and dragged around and condemn and intimidated before the authorities and betrayed and rejected and then they put a crown of thorns on your head and drove a spike through your hands and feet into a wooden cross and stood up the cross with gravity against those spikes , bloodied, them mocked you and took your clothes and wagered them off .... How would you look to God the Saviour and say ``how`s your day ``?????
Human beings did that to Jesus. Not God.

If human beings did that to you would you look at your father and say, "Dad. Why have you forsaken me?"

Old 01-31-2014, 03:01 PM

63,547 posts, read 39,828,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
What? Someone else believes these words were inserted, also?
Wow, I'm pleasantly surprised. It makes more sense than God abandoning Jesus...As if...
It is so easy to add something when you want the masses to believe....the masses
that couldn't even read much....in other words, the men in power could do anything.
But, what a shock it was for me to open to this new idea that even this sentence was tampered with.
..I was a die-hard evangelical...Baptised in the Holy Spirit, and speaker in tongues...still everyday.
Sorry, Mr. Bede, couldn't rep you for awhile they say.
No problem . . . I repped him for you, Miss H.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:07 PM

174 posts, read 304,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
If we accept Christianity 101, then (1) Jesus is the third person of the Trinity; (2) he retained his divine nature while incarnated; (3) he knew what his mission was; and (4) he knew why he was being crucified and what it would accomplish. For him to be questioning on the cross "why" he had been "forsaken" by God, we would have to believe that his divine nature was temporarily rendered inoperative and that he temporarily forgot items (3) and (4) -- or that items (1)-(4) are not true at all and that he was simply a would-be reformer who was genuinely wondering how he had managed to get himself nailed to a cross for his well-meaning efforts. This is why, to me, the resurrection is the linchpin of Christianity -- if it is true, then items (1)-(4) are plausible; if it is not true, then it is highly likely that items (1)-(4) aren't true either. The rest of it, from the Virgin Birth to the Second Coming, is largely extraneous and irrelevant.

One of the problems with Christianity is that the vast majority of believers fail to appreciate how genuinely mysterious it is; they try to "connect all the dots" and produce a neat and tidy theology when this simply can't be done. The effort leads to things like: "On the cross, Jesus was a substitutionary sacrifice to satisfy the requirements of God's justice that an appropriate penalty be paid for mankind's sin ... in order for this sacrifice to work, God had to temporarily abandon Jesus while Jesus took upon himself the full burden of mankind's sin ... and during this temporary abandonment, Jesus in his human suffering cried out to God for an explanation as to why God had abandoned him." (Actually, in the early days of the penal substitution theory of atonement, it was believed that the payment was being made to Satan to redeem mankind from his clutches!) And this is just one effort to connect the dots among dozens that are required in order to produce a neat and tidy theology. The end result is a mishmash that is both near-impossible to believe and completely unworthy of the Creator of the Universe -- hence the quip that "The only miracle of Christianity is that anyone believes it." Having studied literally mountains of theology in a search for a neat and tidy version that made any sense to me, I prefer the simpler one that says "I have no idea as to how it all works, but I am going to trust that it does and live as though it were true."

Old 01-31-2014, 08:35 PM

995 posts, read 952,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJohnny View Post
He said this, " My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?" What if the Jewish people are right and Jesus is not the Messiah and we are still waiting for him?

Jesus was condemned to die by YHWH. Jesus was indeed forsaken by his father-God. It was YHWH's idea to have him and others LIKE him put to death publically, to make an example of them, to strike terror in the hearts of all. Jesus's God was YHWH- the immoral, false God of terrorism.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:30 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,570,678 times
Quote:
He said this, " My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?" What if the Jewish people are right and Jesus is not the Messiah and we are still waiting for him?
Lots of what ifs will befall this thread............ What if atheists are right and you just don't know? What is so bad with the wait and see approach, obviously knowing is beyond everyone. I'd just go with what you feel, that's the best you can do in the dark. Just feel around and see where it goes.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:24 PM

37 posts, read 71,186 times
Is it okay if I tell all of my friends that God has forsaken me? It this the example Jesus has given us? To doubt God when we are struggling? There are people who have suffered in worst ways and don't lack this faith Jesus showed us. This is supposed to be the savior of the world? Are you serious? If you are the chosen one, you can't be mentally weak like this.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:33 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,280,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider's Pantheon View Post
Jesus was condemned to die by YHWH. Jesus was indeed forsaken by his father-God. It was YHWH's idea to have him and others LIKE him put to death publically, to make an example of them, to strike terror in the hearts of all. Jesus's God was YHWH- the immoral, false God of terrorism.
So that book says...I don not believe it for a NY minute!
And I am glad I am free of that book's nonsense!

Picture me dancing like a pagan in the forest...I'm FREEE....I'm FREEEE!

Nicene Council.....by- BYE!

Old 02-01-2014, 03:35 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,280,658 times
Quote:
Is it okay if I tell all of my friends that God has forsaken me? It this the example Jesus has given us? To doubt God when we are struggling? There are people who have suffered in worst ways and don't lack this faith Jesus showed us. This is supposed to be the savior of the world? Are you serious? If you are the chosen one, you can't be mentally weak like this.
It never happened...slowly again...
It

never

happened.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:03 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,560,516 times
Jesus Christ was both MAN and GOD at the same time.
Fully both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality