Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2014, 11:49 PM

47 posts, read 91,700 times

Advertisements

I used to work for a privately owned company which specialized in medical equipment. Everything was fine the first month. I was getting praised for my hard work and dedication, and being so friendly with customers and clients who were calling and praising my job as well.

Then they started having random prayer circles. Someone called in sick.. Lets gather in a circle and pray for her. So and so's mother is in the hospital.. lets pray for her.. this girl just got married, lets pray for a happy marriage. I participated in one but after that, I'd leave the office if I saw a prayer circle was coming.

One day, the manager called me into her office and asked why I wouldnt participate in their prayer circles. I told her straight out, I am an atheist. She looked at me in disgust. The next day, the boss(the managers husband) called me into the office and said they were considering reevaluating my position with the company. (Note, they never told me they were a religious company.. i found this out after the prayer circles came up. I only stuck around because I had rent to pay)

I understand they felt uncomfortable with me there but it seems like discrimination.

If anything has happened to you, please share your stories!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie10 View Post
I used to work for a privately owned company which specialized in medical equipment. Everything was fine the first month. I was getting praised for my hard work and dedication, and being so friendly with customers and clients who were calling and praising my job as well.

Then they started having random prayer circles. Someone called in sick.. Lets gather in a circle and pray for her. So and so's mother is in the hospital.. lets pray for her.. this girl just got married, lets pray for a happy marriage. I participated in one but after that, I'd leave the office if I saw a prayer circle was coming.

One day, the manager called me into her office and asked why I wouldnt participate in their prayer circles. I told her straight out, I am an atheist. She looked at me in disgust. The next day, the boss(the managers husband) called me into the office and said they were considering reevaluating my position with the company. (Note, they never told me they were a religious company.. i found this out after the prayer circles came up. I only stuck around because I had rent to pay)

I understand they felt uncomfortable with me there but it seems like discrimination.

If anything has happened to you, please share your stories!
SN: Im happy I dont work here anymore, they started a anti-gay rights group and they have meetings where they pray for the souls of those who are gay AND the people who support it

Old 02-02-2014, 06:12 AM

618 posts, read 541,804 times
Hello sophie10.

Depending on where you lived and worked, it sounds to me as though you had grounds for legal action. Discrimination on the basis of religion is illegal just about anywhere in the US.

Thanks.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:31 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,185,854 times
I can't think of any. But then very few people would know I'm an atheist.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:49 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,221,801 times
Never admit you are an atheist. That word carries so much baggage. Say you follow eastern philosophy purely out of curiosity. If they ask which one say all of them.

They lie about just about everything either wilfully or unknowingly so it is par for the course to tell your own little fib.

I was asked which church I attended and I should have said none instead of admitting I am an atheist. Unusual for the person as we tend not to do that here in SA as a rule of thumb. The lady quickly went on the defence as if I had just accused here of being delusional, it is that baggage the word has.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:38 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,330,793 times
I was never actively discriminated against for being atheistic, but I was called into an interview once and was told that, as part of the interview process, I had to give witness as to how I found Christ.

Needless to say, I didn't go.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:43 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,217,545 times
I'm a red blooded, lean, mean German and Irish Atheist SOB, and have no problem expressing it to all those who dare wave a damn bible in front of me!
Nope Atheism never caused a problem here.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyker View Post
Hello sophie10.

Depending on where you lived and worked, it sounds to me as though you had grounds for legal action. Discrimination on the basis of religion is illegal just about anywhere in the US.

Thanks.
I didnt look into it due to "at will employment". They did me a favor by firing me.. I realized what a hateful group of Christians they are so Im better off not working for them

(Note, not all Christians are hateful.. they were)

Old 02-02-2014, 11:54 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,330,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie10 View Post
I didnt look into it due to "at will employment". They did me a favor by firing me.. I realized what a hateful group of Christians they are so Im better off not working for them

(Note, not all Christians are hateful.. they were)
I don't think that even "At Will" states can discriminate based on certain protected statuses - of which religion is one. That's a federal law hence state laws cannot supercede it.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:27 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,558,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
I'm a red blooded, lean, mean German and Irish Atheist SOB, and have no problem expressing it to all those who dare wave a damn bible in front of me!
Nope Atheism never caused a problem here.
+1

Tried to rep, but you gotta spread it far and wide before I can rep you again.

I'm past the lean part , but definitely red blooded and another atheist SOB, and damn proud of it.

I find that I have usually culled those so shallow that would make it an issue of my atheism, they never get a chance to demonstrate their ignorance. Life is too short to have stupid friends.

I did have the unpleasent experience of working for a manager the company transfered in that was the most disgusting man I have ever known, and was a pentecostal lay preacher. I caught him in a direct business lie, and while standing at his desk, turn his phone around and dialed his boss who worked in a different city, and told him that I was not working for this lying SOS another day.

He said he would meet me to discuss at a restaurant halfway between the cities, and after that meeting, I was told that the lying SOS would be gone within the week, and he was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality