Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2014, 06:43 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,959,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
The weird thing is Essie claims to be a Uni yet has this weird biblical literalist outlook. He cites the YLT or CLT as if this was THE translation. That translation "managed to get all the stuff right". With so many meanings to words found in a concordance, you can translate the book to mean anything you want it to. They have been doing that since the printing press was invented. I am sure hoever he is just jerking our collective chains.
You do not understand the concordant methodology of translating principles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 06:59 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,211,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
You do not understand the concordant methodology of translating principles.
Does not matter how one does translation, it is twaddle and all made up myth.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Does not matter how one does translation, it is twaddle and all made up myth.
Of course it matters how one translates it since it is not all made up myth.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:44 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,443,647 times
This is probably a dumb question so forgive my ignorance, and it's not necessarily linked to the debate between Nye and Ham. I don't necessarily know the process of how rocks form, but if we were to test a newly formed rock (with radio carbon dating for starters), would we expect it to have an age of around a year old give or take?

Old 02-22-2014, 08:22 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
This is probably a dumb question so forgive my ignorance, and it's not necessarily linked to the debate between Nye and Ham. I don't necessarily know the process of how rocks form, but if we were to test a newly formed rock (with radio carbon dating for starters), would we expect it to have an age of around a year old give or take?
IIRC that particular method is based on the half-life of a particular isotope so it only works with any accuracy for time spans greater than or equal to one of those half-lives. So for instance if the half life is 100 years you won't get accurate dating for anything less than a century old, maybe even two centuries. You should Google for specifics.

There are some methods that will work with some kinds of materials to narrow down to finer-grain time frames, as little as a decade, as with the recent camel bones discovery we discuss on another thread.

Generally these methods all work by determining a constant rate of measurable change in composition over time, and since their very purpose is to locate the provenance of things in the distant past, the tendency is to measure things that change slowly.

The things that change quickly and let us determine, for instance, how many hours or even minutes a corpse has been dead, also tend not to survive for long periods of time to be examined thousands or millions of years after the fact. That is why we are restricted to picking through bones, fossils, rocks, stone or metal artifacts, etc. to determine the age of very old things, and why the dating methods tend to be of lower resolution (although resolution says nothing about accuracy within that range).

Old 02-22-2014, 08:58 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,590 times
Quote:
Obviously you speak out of ignorance concerning me.
I don't want God to condemn anyone to the mythological Dantean hell. I believe God will save everyone.
Then how will anyone be "called to account?"

Will God simply waggle his finger and say, "No jokes! No laughing! You can feel joy, but only by worshiping me. Joking, laughing, and simply having fun is expressly forbidden! Now go and bask in my glory since there's nothing else for you to do here in heaven - except admire the gold streets."

Old 02-22-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius
Obviously you speak out of ignorance concerning me.
I don't want God to condemn anyone to the mythological Dantean hell. I believe God will save everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Then how will anyone be "called to account?"
Even though God is going to eventually save all mankind there are still judgments for mankind to set them straight. Mankind must still give an account of what they said and did. Giving an account is a neutral act. It neither admits guilt or innocence. It is just someone saying how something occurred or what they did or said. After all setting straight is done, some will enter into the second death and remain there until death is abolished. Then they will all enter salvation.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:23 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Even though God is going to eventually save all mankind there are still judgments for mankind to set them straight. Mankind must still give an account of what they said and did. Giving an account is a neutral act. It neither admits guilt or innocence. It is just someone saying how something occurred or what they did or said. After all setting straight is done, some will enter into the second death and remain there until death is abolished. Then they will all enter salvation.
This does not make any sense with an omniscient God - he should just pass 'account' and go straight to death. Usually and accounting is not neutral - it has to do with justice/punishment.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
This does not make any sense with an omniscient God - he should just pass 'account' and go straight to death. Usually and accounting is not neutral - it has to do with justice/punishment.
It makes perfect sense with an omniscient God. Even though He knows all, the human does not. That is why He needs to judge (set straight) all mankind as to what really was necessary in all of life's varied vicissitudes.
For instance, suppose your daughter were murdered. Wouldn't you love to know all the real reasons for the why's of such an act and just what God is going to do to correct it?

Old 02-22-2014, 01:22 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
It makes perfect sense with an omniscient God. Even though He knows all, the human does not. That is why He needs to judge (set straight) all mankind as to what really was necessary in all of life's varied vicissitudes.
For instance, suppose your daughter were murdered. Wouldn't you love to know all the real reasons for the why's of such an act and just what God is going to do to correct it?
That's not what you said! You said it was neutral and that I would have to give an account - not God accounting for it.

Look, I really don't care just be make sense of this fairytale - that's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality