Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2014, 03:56 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,212,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
NOPE! Not "confused" at all.

Here's the deal...Eusebius said in his post #337" ...."according to the evolutionist document from the link above, either a chimp or an ape had sex and humans came from their union or they didn't. If they didn't then the chimp or ape cannot be our ancestor."

You then put up (after some "Jesus Facepalm" picture, proclaiming Eusebius to be beyond stupid...which reflects more on you IMO)...."Chimps are NOT our ancestors, and no scientist is claiming that they are..."...ignoring the "either a chimp OR an ape" part of what was put up by Eusebius.
I ignored the ape part because that was not an issue. The chimp part was the issue and I addressed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldnrule
You then just continued to hammer on the "chimpanzee" issue...and nothing else...I'm sure to avoid copping to the fact that for decades "science" had given us the now known to be false info that man is descended from apes.
Now known to be false? Ahem. You are wrong. Homo sapiens is not only descended from an ape, Homo sapiens IS an ape. The evidence for this is not ambiguous in any way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 04:48 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
I ignored the ape part because that was not an issue. The chimp part was the issue and I addressed it.
Of course you ignored it...because you couldn't put up childish pictures, making puerile insults off of that part.

Quote:
Now known to be false? Ahem. You are wrong. Homo sapiens is not only descended from an ape, Homo sapiens IS an ape. The evidence for this is not ambiguous in any way.
I know you'd like to believe you are telling me something I didn't/don't know...but you're not. Here...I can prove it: //www.city-data.com/forum/31137084-post199.html

Don't try to pretend that "science" didn't at one time try to purport that Man descended from Apes.
And not that Man was also a kind of Ape with a common Ape ancestor, now extinct...but that some Apes evolved over time into Humans. It IS a fact that "science" put that forth as "proven information", and what hundreds of millions were taught...and it IS a fact the latest is that that's now known to be false, and they were wrong.
But, hey...I wouldn't want to disturb you from searching the net for another sophomoric picture you can post to declare other members of the board as extra stupid.

Old 03-01-2014, 05:12 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Aww, come on you guys...This video explains it all..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVW7jBPdYBM

Old 03-01-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Of course you ignored it...because you couldn't put up childish pictures, making puerile insults off of that part.
Get over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldnstreams
Don't try to pretend that "science" didn't at one time try to purport that Man descended from Apes.
Is English a second language for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldnstreams
]And not that Man was also a kind of Ape with a common Ape ancestor, now extinct...but that some Apes evolved over time into Humans. It IS a fact that "science" put that forth as "proven information", and what hundreds of millions were taught...and it IS a fact the latest is that that's now known to be false, and they were wrong.
But, hey...I wouldn't want to disturb you from searching the net for another sophomoric picture you can post to declare other members of the board as extra stupid.
Claiming that scientists no longer consider man to be an ape that evolved from an earlier ape when clearly we do even today make that rather well documented statement is, to put it mildly, to demonstrate an ignorance of the facts. The only thing that has changed from days when you were learning abut it is that today there is even MORE evidence to support the evolution of Homo sapiens from an ancient ape, not less.

So what, exactly, is your malfunction?

Old 03-01-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Aww, come on you guys...This video explains it all..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVW7jBPdYBM
Good one.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:10 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times
Quote:

I know you'd like to believe you are telling me something I didn't/don't know...but you're not. Here...I can prove it: //www.city-data.com/forum/31137084-post199.html

And not that Man was also a kind of Ape with a common Ape ancestor, now extinct...but that some Apes evolved over time into Humans. It IS a fact that "science" put that forth as "proven information", and what hundreds of millions were taught...and it IS a fact the latest is that that's now known to be false, and they were wrong.
You seem to be confusing popular misconceptions of evolution with what scientists actually purported. Even Darwin and Huxley in the 19th century were quite clear that humans did not "descend from Apes" but shared a common ancestor.

The popular "March of Progress" illustration from a Time-Life book in the 1960's probably has a lot to do with the misconception.

March of Progress

Old 03-01-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
Get over it.
I'm not the one putting up the kiddie stuff to insult people. You need to take your own advice.

Quote:
Is English a second language for you?
No. But that you might think so tells me something about YOUR understanding.

Quote:
Claiming that scientists no longer consider man to be an ape that evolved from an earlier ape when clearly we do even today make that rather well documented statement is, to put it mildly, to demonstrate an ignorance of the facts. The only thing that has changed from days when you were learning abut it is that today there is even MORE evidence to support the evolution of Homo sapiens from an ancient ape, not less.

So what, exactly, is your malfunction?
I don't have a malfunction...I'm just fine...though it is obvious YOU do. Thus the childish picture/insults.
I guess you didn't look at my proof that you have taught me NOTHING I didn't already know.
So AGAIN: From 8-26-13 //www.city-data.com/forum/31137084-post199.html
AND...Just in case you don't want to look...since I notice you never addressed this...but continue to play like you know something that I don't...here is the text:
That's the current understanding...so they say.
I was taught humans came from apes. The latest is that we kinda are apes....and all the anthropoid primates can be gnome-mapped back along similar lines.

Do I "believe" it? Yeah, I guess so. I've been indoctrinated by the U.S. educational system to think that "Current Science" has the explanations we are looking for.

BUT!...I'm hip to the REAL DEAL. I don't really know, you don't really know...NOBODY really knows!
We just accept whatever we are taught by the current "experts"...and go with that. That's as good as anything anyway...so why not?

You taught me nothing...except that you are in denial about how science was wrong...and disseminated info now known to be false for decades. And how that relates to some questioning the validity of any info on the matter.
I don't question it...but I understand others using that decades long false narrative (that left out the very important little tidbit, that Man is STILL an Ape) as reason for doubt.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
You seem to be confusing popular misconceptions of evolution with what scientists actually purported. Even Darwin and Huxley in the 19th century were quite clear that humans did not "descend from Apes" but shared a common ancestor.

The popular "March of Progress" illustration from a Time-Life book in the 1960's probably has a lot to do with the misconception.

March of Progress
I take no issue with science advancing its understanding...that is what science does, after all. That is the cool thing about science.

As I said...there were a "jillion" of those charts made...and hundreds of millions were taught from it. Science didn't clearly say at the time that Man was STILL a type of Ape...that was not clear and concise, and that isn't what was taught.
We now have a greater grasp of how it really worked out...and that is very cool.
But I can understand where those that doubt will look at the confusion and base their scepticism on it. And if I debated them about it...I would try to explain it to them...not look for novel ways to insult them. OR...maybe I would...thus, why I don't debate it.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:

I was taught humans came from apes.
I seriously doubt that - unless you had an incompetent science teacher or just misunderstood what you were being taught.

Scientists have never purported that humans descended from apes, although it is a common misconception.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
I take no issue with science advancing its understanding...that is what science does, after all. That is the cool thing about science.

As I said...there were a "jillion" of those charts made...and hundreds of millions were taught from it. Science didn't clearly say at the time that Man was STILL a type of Ape...that was not clear and concise, and that isn't what was taught.
We now have a greater grasp of how it really worked out...and that is very cool.
But I can understand where those that doubt will look at the confusion and base their scepticism on it. And if I debated them about it...I would try to explain it to them...not look for novel ways to insult them. OR...maybe I would...thus, why I don't debate it.
Once again, you are confusing what you (and clearly many people) perceived scientists to have said with what they actually said. Scientists have never said humans descended from Apes -even scientists in the 19th century.

Once again, the 'charts' you speak of originated from a larger illustration from a popular Time Life book in the 1960's:

March of Progress- illustration

"Although the context indicates that it was not the authors' or illustrator's intent to imply a linear ancestor-descendant parade, as the popularity of the image grew and achieved iconic status, the name "March of Progress" became attached to it.

Scientists have noted that early human evolution did not progress in any linear, sequential fashion nor did it move along a "road" toward any predetermined "ideal form"; they have faulted the image with being misleading in implying these things. With regard to the picture's notoriety, Howell remarked that "The artist didn't intend to reduce the evolution of man to a linear sequence, but it was read that way by viewers.… The graphic overwhelmed the text. It was so powerful and emotional."

Last edited by Ceist; 03-01-2014 at 08:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality