Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2014, 06:15 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,951,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
For someone like you that can only fathom a 6000 year timeline or more precisely your inane belief in a fludd some 4500 years ago. of course evolution will seem like magic to you. The rest of the rational world understands this planet is 4.5-4.7 BILLION years old and that was more than enough time for evolution to transpire.
You are just as ignorant of my beliefs as you are of evolution.
I have said over and over I do not believe in a young earth. Try to remember that.

And yet you have no proof humans evolved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
Cute comics? This is where you get your science? OMG!

This is not from a comic book.
So you have some skulls and a tooth here and jaw bone here and there. Since how do different skulls PROVE evolution? All it does is prove there were different skulls. Try to learn the difference.

Old 03-02-2014, 06:23 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,211,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
So you have some skulls and a tooth here and jaw bone here and there. Since how do different skulls PROVE evolution? All it does is prove there were different skulls. Try to learn the difference.
Yes, we have some skulls, and some teeth, and some jaws, and some vertebrae, and some hand bones, and some leg bones, and some arm bones, and some feet bones, a few pelvis bones, some shoulder blades, and a lot more. We also have a precise timeline for them, and analyses conducted by experts in their fields which definitively place them between humans and ancient extinct apes. And you have - a 2,000 year old book written by anonymous desert nomads. Congratulations.

Old 03-02-2014, 06:48 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,640,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
You claim: "We now know that humans are actually a type of Ape".

Nonsense. Maybe you only know that now, but scientists have known that since the 19th century (eg Darwin, Huxley etc). Even in the 18th century humans were classified as primates. (eg Linnaeus). Read a few books from that era. (Try Project Gutenberg where you can read them online for free)

You are still projecting your own misconceptions and lack of knowledge onto scientists.

Perhaps you should be blaming Creationists in the US for many of the distortions, misepresentations and muddying of the waters about evolution. And the people who gullibly swallowed what they said instead of reading for themselves what scientists quite clearly said. Don't blame scientists for misrepresentations made by others who have a religious agenda or for other people's ignorance or lack of comprehension.
Quote:
Well, golden stream, unlike you, I don't get my science from a popular 1960s magazine. I am a scientist who has published in peer reviewed journals, and have actually gone to college and held fossils in my hands, and collected more than I can count.

You agree that man evolved. Right?

What we apparently disagree with is what YOU were taught. Right?

Frankly, I don't care about what YOU were taught. What the science has clearly demonstrated is that Homo sapiens is an ape that evolved from an earlier, extinct ape. This has been the paradigm, what the evidence has shown for nearly all of the 20th century into the present. If you have any problem with this, I suggest you take it up with your kindergarten teacher. Capiche?
I got my "science" from the same place most everyone else did as I grew up...the U.S. Public School System...then later the State University in Connecticut.
My school didn't teach Evolutionary Theory to the kindergarten kids though...I just wanted to set the record straight on that...since it strangely appears that some must think they did.
It wasn't just what I was taught...it was what HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS were taught.
Living on the Connecticut/New York border...every year of 5th thru 12th grade had the obligatory "field trip" to the American Museum of Natural History. The FORTY to FIFTY MILLION visitors per year were taught the same thing in those days in the "Hall of the Age of Man" (the premier exhibition of its kind).
Just as the chart showed...Man descended from the illustrated common ape ancestor...up through the progression, to MAN. They told about the level of abilities of each along the way. There were the Ape creatures, Java Man, Neanderthal Man, Cro-Magnon, etc...NOTHING about Man still being an Ape. But lots about anthropologists looking to find that infamous "Missing Link" when the Ape had first evolved into Man.

I really don't have a problem that that was not the whole story. BUT...I do have a problem that obviously the science community didn't care what everyone was being taught for decades...and based on the quoted above, still don't care.
If the scientific community knew better, but sat by for decades...knowing what info was being put out (including to their own children)...then that just proves one thing for sure: All the intellect of all the people in that field of science for all that time COMBINED, couldn't manage to muster up the wisdom of just ONE sensible person. Who would KNOW adulterated info was being disseminated to THE MASSES...and not speak up to rectify it? Pathetic!

But keep up with the attempts to sweep the huge pile of failings of the scientific community on this issue under the rug. If you deflect enough with childish pictures and insults, or blaming those with "religious agendas"...some might not notice it.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:32 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,211,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I got my "science" from the same place most everyone else did as I grew up...the U.S. Public School System...then later the State University in Connecticut.
My school didn't teach Evolutionary Theory to the kindergarten kids though...I just wanted to set the record straight on that...since it strangely appears that some must think they did.
It wasn't just what I was taught...it was what HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS were taught.
Living on the Connecticut/New York border...every year of 5th thru 12th grade had the obligatory "field trip" to the American Museum of Natural History. The FORTY to FIFTY MILLION visitors per year were taught the same thing in those days in the "Hall of the Age of Man" (the premier exhibition of its kind).
Just as the chart showed...Man descended from the illustrated common ape ancestor...up through the progression, to MAN. They told about the level of abilities of each along the way. There were the Ape creatures, Java Man, Neanderthal Man, Cro-Magnon, etc...NOTHING about Man still being an Ape. But lots about anthropologists looking to find that infamous "Missing Link" when the Ape had first evolved into Man.

I really don't have a problem that that was not the whole story. BUT...I do have a problem that obviously the science community didn't care what everyone was being taught for decades...and based on the quoted above, still don't care.
If the scientific community knew better, but sat by for decades...knowing what info was being put out (including to their own children)...then that just proves one thing for sure: All the intellect of all the people in that field of science for all that time COMBINED, couldn't manage to muster up the wisdom of just ONE sensible person. Who would KNOW adulterated info was being disseminated to THE MASSES...and not speak up to rectify it? Pathetic!

But keep up with the attempts to sweep the huge pile of failings of the scientific community on this issue under the rug. If you deflect enough with childish pictures and insults, or blaming those with "religious agendas"...some might not notice it.

Give it up before you hurt yourself.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Yes, we have some skulls, and some teeth, and some jaws, and some vertebrae, and some hand bones, and some leg bones, and some arm bones, and some feet bones, a few pelvis bones, some shoulder blades, and a lot more. We also have a precise timeline for them, and analyses conducted by experts in their fields which definitively place them between humans and ancient extinct apes. And you have - a 2,000 year old book written by anonymous desert nomads. Congratulations.

Give it up before you hurt yourself.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:43 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,208,056 times
Quote:
You are just as ignorant of my beliefs as you are of evolution.
I have said over and over I do not believe in a young earth. Try to remember that.
Quote:
Only YEC believe in a literal fludd, you can push back the timeline of "creation" to subvert the obvious geological contra-evidence but you still have the flood as a literal happening. Ergo you are still a YEC. The post fludd has evolution on steroids to get to all the critters from their biblical kinds.
And yet you have no proof humans evolved.
You just deny the evidence. Still waiting for any creationist to submit evidence of their assertions.

Your turn to push the carousel

Old 03-02-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
You just deny the evidence. Still waiting for any creationist to submit evidence of their assertions.

Your turn to push the carousel
How can I deny the evidence when the only evidence given is the say so of people who have no proof?

Old 03-02-2014, 10:06 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
How can I deny the evidence when the only evidence given is the say so of people who have no proof?
Hope you remember that when others deny the existence of your God or the stories about him.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:03 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,149,114 times
Give it up, folks.

Eusie is much too frightened to let go of his bible beliefs. His faith teeters on a very fragile base. If even one verse in his old book is shown to be false, his whole raison d'etre collapses and he will be bereft.

The prospect is terrifying and we see the results with each of his posts. Fear trumps reason every time. He will not, he cannot, allow a breeze of reason and truth into his shuttered mind. Ergo, deliberate obtuseness is his constant fall-back position

This is true of every biblical literalist. I'd pity them if so many weren't such PITAs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality