Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 03:06 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
What makes something supernatural is not that we don't currently have information about it, but that it is outside of nature. Nature encompasses this universe and any others that exist, whether the other universes have different laws or not.

Your point has zero to do with god(s). Except that you are looking for a gap in which to find god(s) hiding, I suspect.
Incorrect, our nature does not encompass "any others", it ONLY pertains to our universe. You nor I know what is beyond our universe, all we know is that from scientific evidence the universe has grown from some origin. Certainly if other universes exist, they will contain their own "nature", but there is no way to know anything about it. All I know is that instead of a void, there is an entire framework which sustains matter and conscious life. This framework, the universe, came from somewhere and I label that origin as god. That's my premise, very simple and straightforward and completely consistent with all observable evidence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 04:42 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Yeah, most people have knowledge of their own conscious mental processes. Don't you?
I'm sorry, I wasn't really speaking to you. Why the need to get lippy with me over a conversation you weren't even part of?

Old 02-12-2014, 06:09 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Incorrect, our nature does not encompass "any others", it ONLY pertains to our universe. You nor I know what is beyond our universe, all we know is that from scientific evidence the universe has grown from some origin. Certainly if other universes exist, they will contain their own "nature", but there is no way to know anything about it. All I know is that instead of a void, there is an entire framework which sustains matter and conscious life. This framework, the universe, came from somewhere and I label that origin as god. That's my premise, very simple and straightforward and completely consistent with all observable evidence
Random labeling is simple and straightforward, but not very logical. As I stated before, I can label origin as the Loch Ness Monster, but that doesn't mean that Nessie truly exists. Seems we've gone full circle, without you depositing a reasoned argument.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:07 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Yes, we should always form opinions based on the beliefs of the people around us.
How do you think organized religion came into existence? Independent thought?

Old 02-12-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
speaking of santa claus, what is your definition of a supernatural being?
Any entity I have to believe exists based only on faith, for starters. How's that so far?

Old 02-12-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
So, in reality, who do you think is the 3rd party?
And what is their purpose in giving their message (the Bible)?
Well, I went over this in some detail in another post, so I don't want to write it all out again in this thread.

Suffice it to say that the purpose for giving the message was to a) form a cohesive tribe with its own culture in a quick, nearly instantaneous way and later, b) to create a messianic cult that, if truly believed, would be extremely hard to abandon.

Pretty simple stuff, really, when you clear away all the smoke and mirrors.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
The laws beyond this universe are not known to anyone, but likely are different than what our existing space-time provides. That big bang originated in an enclosing structure, not bound by the inner laws we live with, ergo supernatural by your definition does exist.

Funny how that works
In order for God to have any relevance, he must operate inside THIS space-time continuum because that's where we exist. That would make him "supernatural" by our definition because what he is and what he can do would violate the laws of THIS universe. What happens anywhere else is irrelevant.

Yep, it is pretty funny how that works, isn't it.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:40 AM

19,995 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
You are still conflating the unknown with the supernatural. They are not the same thing. I don't know a bunch of things about you -- how many children you have, your favorite food or color, etc. But that doesn't make you a manifestation of the supernatural. If there are other universes with different natural laws then they are still natural laws even if they seem unnatural from our perspective. It's nothing more than different variables in some equations.

But for now, other universes are but a theoretical construct, so yes, let's talk about the universe we know at least something about. What we don't know is whether it "came from somewhere". That seems like such a logical statement but it assumes a bunch of things, the biggest being that time always worked the same as it does now, and that it's not a closed loop. We are time-bound and don't know how else to think about existence other than it having a beginning, middle, and end, but what if it's a circle instead? The universe may have had a beginning, or may not have. And then you have to not assume that a "beginning" is not just an apparent beginning from our time-bound perspective.

Finally if the universe DID have a beginning, should we not simply call it "the beginning" rather than god? I mean, calling it generically god is at least better than calling it Jehovah or some other particular god. But how is it helpful to label it god? That is just begging the question and confirming your bias. It's like saying my car had a beginning and it is god. Well, I call it a factory. Sorry.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:55 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,715,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'm sorry, I wasn't really speaking to you. Why the need to get lippy with me over a conversation you weren't even part of?
Oh yeah, the "I wrote something stupid now I'm going to act offended that someone explained how poor my post was" defense. I guess if you have no response it is worth a try, but don't expect it to be convincing.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:20 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,554,399 times
Quote:
Yet another person with a preconceived image of god projecting their bias onto the discussion. That is the true poor logic and thought process
And you are claiming that you don't have a preconceived notion of this god?

Now that is truly funny. You defend, parse things you accredit to this god as being his and give full credit to it for everything yet claim to have no "preconceived image"?

Anything that you do not understand or cannot explain is god?

Try again, you just failed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality