Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 07:39 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times

Advertisements

If a Christian believes that eventually all people - including the majority of the world's population which is non-Christian - repent of their disbelief and accept the Christian god this is a example of Triumphalism. Then the Christian can feel good about himself in knowing he was right all along, and everyone else - Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, Atheists, etc. were wrong.

What a glorious fantasy for Christian believers and a feel good scenario!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 07:52 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,215,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Narcissstic personality disorder. I prefer my imaginary creepers fat and jolly in red suits bearing gifts.
Just for you

Old 02-09-2014, 08:12 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
If a Christian believes that eventually all people - including the majority of the world's population which is non-Christian - repent of their disbelief and accept the Christian god this is a example of Triumphalism. Then the Christian can feel good about himself in knowing he was right all along, and everyone else - Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, Atheists, etc. were wrong.

What a glorious fantasy for Christian believers and a feel good scenario!!!
Then there's the belief that if you don't the Magic Lever is pulled and... bye, bye.

Personally I think the people who believe that want Heaven to be full of people just like them. No riff raff. Certainly no gays, liberals who voted for Obama, Peaceniks, people who meditate, women who have read "The Feminine Mystique" or anyone who smiles when they hear "Imagine". Goodness knows they don't think John Lennon made it.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:43 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Default Unbelievers-Will There Come A Time When Everyone Accepts God

Absolutely. When you die . . . it is unavoidable. What we believe or do not believe will be irrelevant. What matters is what fate awaits the character you have (or have not) built. We are all becoming something and it has a character that is unique to each of us. Its resonance (or dissonance) with God's character will determine how we experience the next stage . . . not what we did or did not believe when we were alive.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:51 PM

5,357 posts, read 5,136,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorALly View Post
There are some who believe that all will eventually come to accept God.

Do you agree?

Disagree?
Why wouldn't God have done this earlier if he wanted us to believe in him?

Old 02-10-2014, 01:59 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,324,939 times
This is just another one of those really keen religious bear traps that Christians constantly step in.

Essentially, in order for me to accept God, I have to accept that billions of good-hearted, decent people deserve to burn for all eternity because they didn't abandon their own cultures and embrace my own particular Lord and Savior.

That's what I have to believe. I mean, I really have to beleive it. So ... when I visit my Hindu family in India, I have to look at them and honestly believe they deserve hellfire and damnation.

Because that's what mainstream American Christian doctrine teaches.

Yet how could I possibly be a moral person if I'm skipping along with my cross and Bible believing that two-thirds of the world's population deserves eternal torment?

Some Christians are wont to say something like, "But ... but ... I'm not saying they deserve hell, GOD is saying it."

Aha! But here's where the bear trap springs shut. Christians have to admit one of two things: Yes, I agree with God and you deserve to fry ... OR ... I disagree with God even though he's God, which is saying that my morality is superior to that of God because God is behaving immorally.

There's really no way out of that scenario. That's why it is one of the big bear traps.

*snap*

Old 02-10-2014, 05:56 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,944,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
who's god are you talking about,the God of Abraham, the God of the Hindus?..there are many gods. I believe in a Creator, not in one that is written in any sacred book and when my time comes to cross over to the next world I'll sit with my Creator around the sacred fire and have long discussions with him and my ancestors.

That is who they call Satan, however non-believers won't be having discussions as they will be separated from God and all human souls.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:48 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
That is who they call Satan, however non-believers won't be having discussions as they will be separated from God and all human souls.
I believe that will put me in the majority. We'll be partying instead of just singing hymns.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:56 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,324,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Any sort of punishment delivered to anyone for simply not joining a religious cult - or picking the wrong one - or being born in a place or time that has no inkling of Christianity - is inherently immoral.

If your god is this immoral to humans on earth, I can't even fathom the immorality that must take place in god's own home.

But even more to the point - those who really think that non-believers are going to somehow suffer, be it through hellfire or being separated from all human souls or being stuck in a room with Chris Rock for all eternity - are also inherently immoral. How anyone can go through life with such a sanctimonious attitude ("I'm going to heaven and you're not" *sticks out tongue*) is simply beyond my ken.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:33 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,741,555 times
It's rather a moot question to ask non believers this. Your statement however is part of a Universalist theology based on Romans 14:11, "it is written that ever knee shall now and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is lord". Basically it means that everyone will be saved. Again, it's a ridiculous question to ask people who don't believe in gods nor religious texts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality