Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2014, 10:08 PM

818 posts, read 1,017,266 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts on the meaning and symbolism of the unicorn in present times? There seem to be some current stereotypes. The unicorn has been a symbol of Christ, purity and chastity in different times, just curious how it is may be perceived now and why you think it is perceived that way.
The Bible mentions unicorns, this is an honest and important question for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 12:33 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
What are your thoughts on the meaning and symbolism of the unicorn in present times? There seem to be some current stereotypes. The unicorn has been a symbol of Christ, purity and chastity in different times, just curious how it is may be perceived now and why you think it is perceived that way.
The word unicorn as used in the Bible-- specifically the KJV refers to a one horned rhinoceros. If youre asking what special meaning we get from that? I know of none.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:45 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,672,460 times
I am not aware of any 'new' meaning applied to a unicorn. However, today's visual portrait of the unicorn as a horse with a horn is quite inaccurate.
It is an elusive magical beast that cannot be tamed, but is attracted to those who are 'pure'.
It has the head of a goat, the body of a deer and the tail of a lion.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:26 PM

818 posts, read 1,017,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
I am not aware of any 'new' meaning applied to a unicorn. However, today's visual portrait of the unicorn as a horse with a horn is quite inaccurate.
It is an elusive magical beast that cannot be tamed, but is attracted to those who are 'pure'.
It has the head of a goat, the body of a deer and the tail of a lion.
Who said anything about any "new" meaning? There are stereotypes about certain things, what people assume things are. Lots of assumers on these boards.

Please read questions carefully before trying to answer logically. I think it is a great question with meaning. Not seeing very many good questions or interesting topics.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:31 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Who said anything about any "new" meaning? There are stereotypes about certain things, what people assume things are. Lots of assumers on these boards.

Please read questions carefully before trying to answer logically. I think it is a great question with meaning. Not seeing very many good questions or interesting topics.
Owl answered your question, no reason to be so ugly

Perhaps you should start the discussion by telling us what meaning unicorns hold for you?

Old 02-09-2014, 04:32 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,672,460 times
Talk about assumptions.
Perhaps you may want to rephrase your question
"What are your thoughts on the meaning and symbolism of the unicorn in present times?"
'Present times' implies a different a.k.a 'new' meaning.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:36 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
I think today the unicorn means you're a Brony. lol

I know the rainbow means something different now as well.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:42 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
Well...the invisible, pink ones (IPU) are presently an Atheist mascot....you will finds hundreds of mentions of them on this board by the Atheists. Just do a search...you'll see.
They are also pets of the minor Atheist Deity, The Flying Spaghetti Monster (FSM)...and the primary Atheist Deity "NOGODAH".

Actually...I have often suggested to the Atheists to just adopt the IPU as a Deity. At least that will get them "in the game" and help them to "fit in" better.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:08 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,057 times
I always thought that a unicorn was the perfect symbol for the whimsical imagination of a 13 year-old girl.

Or the symbol of the ancient Finnish forest goddess Mielikki.

But most of all, it is a symbol for all of those fantastic claims that rational people know don't exist. The phrase "chasing unicorns" or "hunting unicorns" was once a metaphorical or pejorative description of a task or dream that is a waste of time.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:02 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
I doubt if there is any single symbolic meaning of Unicorns. There seems to be a wide variety ranging from no significance to a wide variety depending on many diverse factors.

I am a product of the Beatnik Generation, the precursor of the Hippies. We were the drop out generation. Speaking for myself as a product of that era and in the Terminology of the time:

"Hey Man, like look at the hood ornament on that classy pony."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality