Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 11:56 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,388,147 times

Advertisements

Will God curse you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 01:12 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,135,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Will God curse you?
It depends who you're asking. If a religous Jew where family is extremely important and is a part of religious rules, then yes.

If a Christian, where family is also important (because Christians' beliefs are related to Jewish beliefs), then... it's not as bad, but still not good. So God may not curse you, but may frown upon this behavior.

If a spiritual person, then, the answer is no...

Old 03-25-2014, 01:46 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWisdom View Post
It depends who you're asking. If a religous Jew where family is extremely important and is a part of religious rules, then yes.

If a Christian, where family is also important (because Christians' beliefs are related to Jewish beliefs), then... it's not as bad, but still not good. So God may not curse you, but may frown upon this behavior.

If a spiritual person, then, the answer is no...
So what happens if you're stuck with lousy parents who abuse their kids?

Old 03-25-2014, 02:30 PM

20,018 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Will God curse you?
Non-existent beings can't curse or bless.

Religious claims about such beings vary.

Empirically, I have seen children disrespect and be unloving to parents for reasons both entirely valid, and entirely nonsensical. Just in the past week I've witnessed a daughter make ridiculous claims about the manipulative perfidy of her mother that I know to be entirely fabricated, and I've witnessed another daughter finally take her father off the pedestal she had him on and recognize at last that he's in a fact a self-absorbed douchebag. I know enough about the situations in question to be as certain of the accuracy of the latter view, as I am of the fantasy nature of the former.

So ... talk to wise friends, therapists, or whatever, about your parental situation and respond appropriately, enforce healthy boundaries, and speak the truth calmly but firmly. No god worth worshipping could possibly have a problem with that. And no unqualified religious blanket proclamation about parent-worship could be taken so literally as to legitimately manufacture a problem with it.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:07 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,388,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Non-existent beings can't curse or bless.

Religious claims about such beings vary.

Empirically, I have seen children disrespect and be unloving to parents for reasons both entirely valid, and entirely nonsensical. Just in the past week I've witnessed a daughter make ridiculous claims about the manipulative perfidy of her mother that I know to be entirely fabricated, and I've witnessed another daughter finally take her father off the pedestal she had him on and recognize at last that he's in a fact a self-absorbed douchebag. I know enough about the situations in question to be as certain of the accuracy of the latter view, as I am of the fantasy nature of the former.

So ... talk to wise friends, therapists, or whatever, about your parental situation and respond appropriately, enforce healthy boundaries, and speak the truth calmly but firmly. No god worth worshipping could possibly have a problem with that. And no unqualified religious blanket proclamation about parent-worship could be taken so literally as to legitimately manufacture a problem with it.
I think I'm cursed. I think God ("Jesus") has cursed me. My life has been miserable my entire life and I'me 32.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:50 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
I think I'm cursed. I think God ("Jesus") has cursed me. My life has been miserable my entire life and I'me 32.
I'm reasonably sure the Creator doesn't curse and from what I've heard about Jesus, seems unlikely from that front too.

Sometimes life is simply not fair.

And how we deal with that is the measure of a man/woman/person.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:19 PM

618 posts, read 541,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWisdom View Post
If a Christian, where family is also important (because Christians' beliefs are related to Jewish beliefs), then... it's not as bad, but still not good. So God may not curse you, but may frown upon this...
Hello LoveWisdom.

With all due respect to you, I have never understood how people make the assertion that Christianity in general (and Jesus in particular) promotes family:

Matthew 11:49 (NASB, emphasis added)
And stretching out His hand toward His disciples, He said, "Behold My mother and My brothers!

Matthew 10:35-36 (NASB)
For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man’s enemies will be the members of his household.

John 15:12 (NASB, emphasis added)
Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends.

Luke 11:27-28 (NASB, emphasis added)
While Jesus was saying these things, one of the women in the crowd raised her voice and said to Him, “Blessed is the womb that bore You and the breasts at which You nursed.” But He said, “On the contrary, blessed are those who hear the word of God and observe it.”

1 Corinthian 7:1-2 (NASB, emphasis added)
Now concerning the things about which you wrote, it is good for a man not to touch a woman. But because of immoralities, each man is to have his own wife, and each woman is to have her own husband.

None of that sounds very pro-family to me.

Thanks.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:28 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,505,779 times
Quote:
It may not have been anything you yourself have done. God sometimes will curse people for things things their father, grandfather, or even great grandfather might have done and they may not even be aware of it.

Quote:
Numbers 14:18

‘The Lord is slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love, forgiving iniquity and transgression, but he will by no means clear the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, to the third and the fourth generation.’

Quote:
Exodus 20:5

You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me,

Quote:
Hosea 4:6

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge; because you have rejected knowledge, I reject you from being a priest to me. And since you have forgotten the law of your God, I also will forget your children.
If you believe that sort of thing.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:22 PM

63,820 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
It may not have been anything you yourself have done. God sometimes will curse people for things things their father, grandfather, or even great grandfather might have done and they may not even be aware of it.
If you believe that sort of thing.
::Sigh::What a sad and pathetic belief system . . . I know you have your tongue firmly in cheek, Box . . . but Govie may not.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:28 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,505,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
::Sigh::What a sad and pathetic belief system . . . I know you have your tongue firmly in cheek, Box . . . but Govie may not.
Yeah, and to be fair one can find other quotes that say exactly the opposite. It only demonstrates the pitfalls of reading the Bible literally and taking it as more than a general guide. (Which, of course, I don't even do that, but I acknowledge that it is a more defensible position than the literal word-for-word understanding of the Bible.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality