Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 09:16 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,322,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
In some cases, all the physician does is advise the patient on the effects of various drugs so the patient does the actually dosing.

However, I'm still curious if you want your interpretation of God's will to apply to everybody or just people who think as you do.
Considering that euthenasia is only legal in one or two states, it seems pretty obvious to me that everyone is supposed to abide by Christian thinking.

Strange how Christians can make exceptions for things like war, self-defense, defense of the home (a lot of fundamentalist Christians are really big on guns and the 2nd Amendment), yet somehow a doctor easing a person's final minutes is considered "murder."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 09:17 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,546,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
... yet somehow a doctor easing a person's final minutes is considered "murder."
When they are going to die anyway. The suffering is sacred to some. Suffer in the name of god.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:42 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,322,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
When they are going to die anyway. The suffering is sacred to some. Suffer in the name of god.
I've often said that I wish I could give someone the pain I experience for just a week - even a few days - so that other people could understand what it's like. Instead, too many want to sit in judgment of you.

For those that hold suffering near and dear to their hearts, I'll gladly swap my pain for their good health. They can then go about suffering for God and I can get on with my life.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:38 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,940,357 times
A name most should have heard of, convicted of second-degree murder

Jack Kevorkian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-12-2014, 06:58 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
In some cases, all the physician does is advise the patient on the effects of various drugs so the patient does the actually dosing.

However, I'm still curious if you want your interpretation of God's will to apply to everybody or just people who think as you do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post

Perry, do you want your interpretation of God's will to apply to everybody, or just to Christians who believe as you do?

BTW, Kevorkian did that a long time ago. Laws in a couple of states have been changed.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:

According to a report by the Detroit Free Press, 60% of the patients who committed suicide with Kevorkian's help were not terminally ill, and at least 13 had not complained of pain. The report further asserted that Kevorkian's counseling was too brief (with at least 19 patients dying less than 24 hours after first meeting Kevorkian) and lacked a psychiatric exam in at least 19 cases, 5 of which involved people with histories of depression, though Kevorkian was sometimes alerted that the patient was unhappy for reasons other than their medical condition.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:54 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,340,860 times
Quote:

From the last chapter, Legacy.....

Quote:
Derek Humphry, author of the suicide handbook, Final Exit, said Kevorkian was "too obsessed, too fanatical, in his interest in death and suicide to offer direction for the nation."[57] Howard Markel, a medical historian at the University of Michigan, said Kevorkian “was a major historical figure in modern medicine."[55] The Catholic Church in Detroit said Kevorkian left behind a "deadly legacy" that denied scores of people their right to humane deaths.[58] Philip Nitschke, founder and director of right-to-die organisation Exit International, said that Kevorkian "moved the debate forward in ways the rest of us can only imagine. He started at a time when it was hardly talked about and got people thinking about the issue. He paid one hell of a price, and that is one of the hallmarks of true heroism."[59]

The epitaph on Kevorkian's tombstone reads, "He sacrificed himself for everyone's rights."[60]

Old 05-12-2014, 10:03 AM

'Suicide is Painless", is the theme song from the comedy show "MASH", it may be that way for the individual but not loved ones who are near and dear to the individual. Suicide is a selfish endeavor even in a medical condition where individual hasn't long to live. Like I have said before God is the final judgement, He is a loving God that understands our hurts and needs.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:25 AM

774 posts, read 906,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
I've often said that I wish I could give someone the pain I experience for just a week - even a few days - so that other people could understand what it's like. Instead, too many want to sit in judgment of you.

For those that hold suffering near and dear to their hearts, I'll gladly swap my pain for their good health. They can then go about suffering for God and I can get on with my life.
I read and understand what you are writing, my feelings go out to you. I don't agree with suicide but I do understand what you feel, I'm in a similar situation in many ways to you but I can't approve of suicide.

I don't think anyone holds suffering near and dear to their hearts, they don't know how it feels to suffer, they don't want to know how it feels to suffer, where everything goes wrong for people like us, they don't want to "suffer for God", they speak strictly academically and without any awareness of the way suffering really feels.

They won't "swap their good health" for our pain nor would they want to swap their good health nor did they ever think about swapping their good health.

They talk from a blissful unawareness like I did before I got sick and chemically poisoned right here in my apt, my stools are blocked, I have lymphoma, can't breathe, food gets stuck in my neck due to large lymph nodes, have sleep apnea, apnea machine is contaminated, air conditioner contaminated, oil smells in radiators etc, chemo will contradict getting detoxed, addicted to ambien need it to sleep, moving out makes no sense because I don't know what'll I'll do about breathing since contamination is inside me, can't work because the ventilation there is not good, should retire but I need my insurance for operations IF the doctors would take me seriously but they don't, sent an email explaining my chemical poisoning to lawyer today but email couldn't get through (don't know why) etc etc. I have a lot of answers how to help myself but each answer contradicts my other problems.

I always thought I had the answers.

There are no answers.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simtropico View Post
I read and understand what you are writing, my feelings go out to you. I don't agree with suicide but I do understand what you feel, I'm in a similar situation in many ways to you but I can't approve of suicide.

I don't think anyone holds suffering near and dear to their hearts, they don't know how it feels to suffer, they don't want to know how it feels to suffer, where everything goes wrong for people like us, they don't want to "suffer for God", they speak strictly academically and without any awareness of the way suffering really feels.

They won't "swap their good health" for our pain nor would they want to swap their good health nor did they ever think about swapping their good health.

They talk from a blissful unawareness like I did before I got sick and chemically poisoned right here in my apt, my stools are blocked, I have lymphoma, can't breathe, food gets stuck in my neck due to large lymph nodes, have sleep apnea, apnea machine is contaminated, air conditioner contaminated, oil smells in radiators etc, chemo will contradict getting detoxed, addicted to ambien need it to sleep, moving out makes no sense because I don't know what'll I'll do about breathing since contamination is inside me, can't work because the ventilation there is not good, should retire but I need my insurance for operations IF the doctors would take me seriously but they don't, sent an email explaining my chemical poisoning to lawyer today but email couldn't get through (don't know why) etc etc. I have a lot of answers how to help myself but each answer contradicts my other problems.

I always thought I had the answers.

There are no answers.
I have health issues too but nothing compared to yours, I put my care and trust in the Lord and like you don't believe this PAS is right, God bless you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality