Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 10:39 AM

774 posts, read 906,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
I have health issues too but nothing compared to yours, I put my care and trust in the Lord and like you don't believe this PAS is right, God bless you
God bless you too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 11:28 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,340,860 times
Quote:
'Suicide is Painless", is the theme song from the comedy show "MASH", it may be that way for the individual but not loved ones who are near and dear to the individual. Suicide is a selfish endeavor even in a medical condition where individual hasn't long to live. Like I have said before God is the final judgement, He is a loving God that understands our hurts and needs.
Perry,

Do you feel the same way about having to put a pet down. By that I'm talking about taking a dear pet that is terminal to the vet and having it put it to sleep. Does that make the pet owner selfish or does it make the owner humane? I never quite got the difference on why one would be a humane act and the other something completely the opposite.

Btw, I saw a relative die from lung cancer in the hospital years ago. The pain meds didn't help, and it was the most heart-braking thing I've ever seen. It was like a scene from a horror movies. Nothing remotely humane, just waiting for nature to be kind and end it all. Just like the nurse said several posts up.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:07 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,940,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Perry,

Do you feel the same way about having to put a pet down. By that I'm talking about taking a dear pet that is terminal to the vet and having it put it to sleep. Does that make the pet owner selfish or does it make the owner humane? I never quite got the difference on why one would be a humane act and the other something completely the opposite.

Btw, I saw a relative die from lung cancer in the hospital years ago. The pain meds didn't help, and it was the most heart-braking thing I've ever seen. It was like a scene from a horror movies. Nothing remotely humane, just waiting for nature to be kind and end it all. Just like the nurse said several posts up.
Well I never had a pet I had to have that done. I just know that I myself would not take my own life being that I was in a serious amount of pain or not having long to live. Even though suicide is considered the unpardonable sin, God listens to our needs and like I said He is the final Judge.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:16 PM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Perry,

We are more humane to our pets than we are to our parents and grandparents.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:24 PM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Quote:
Well I never had a pet I had to have that done. I just know that I myself would not take my own life being that I was in a serious amount of pain or not having long to live. Even though suicide is considered the unpardonable sin, God listens to our needs and like I said He is the final Judge.
Does everyone consider suicide an unpardonable sin?

Old 05-12-2014, 12:38 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,073,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Does everyone consider suicide an unpardonable sin?
I doubt it.

All sins are pardonable except Shirk. (Need a long qulifying statement to understand, that, but that is not the topic of this thread)

Here the question comes to be if it is possible for one committing suicide to repent?

Different religions have different views.

But there is another major factor that needs to be looked at. That of doing so with knowledge and of their own free will.

I wonder if a person in extreme chronic pain is acting of their own free will. Perhaps a person can reach the point of pain where they are not capable of choosing to continue on.

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 05-12-2014 at 12:52 PM..

Old 05-12-2014, 01:45 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
I'm watching this play out with a friend as we speak. We met due to our Hodgkin's lymphoma diagnoses in our early 20s - I was in remission for 2 years when she was diagnosed last fall. She recently finished treatment but had been feeling unwell - having a hard time catching her breath. That quickly snowballed into lung failure due to toxicity from one of the chemo drugs (the same drug that has left me with life-long lung issues that I can expect for the next 60+ years).

She has been intubated for 3 weeks, in a medically induced coma due to the pain for the last week. This is not what she wanted. She does not live in an assisted suicide state - but if there was ever a situation that deserved that compassion, this is it. She won't get better. Even if/when she is taken out of the medically induced coma, she is not going to be able to breathe on her own. Her mind is still 100% there, but here she is, a bright, energetic 25 year old who knows right now that she will spend the rest of her life painfully strapped to a machine.

Before they put her into the coma, she expressed a wish to be sedated and the breathing tube removed. She would like to go with dignity. Instead, she is forced to keep hanging on because she is not braindead.

Few people really know what true pain is. At one point during chemo, I developed serious pain that no medication to match. My doctors think it might have been shingles, but they don't know because I was in so much pain that I couldn't put on clothes to go to the doctor's office. For over a week, my hip to my knee was so intensely painful that I couldn't wear so much as a skirt, nor could I sleep on that side or cover myself with even a light sheet. Touching the skin made me scream in pain. I'd wake up in the middle of the night screaming and crying because I rolled over in my sleep. I have never felt anything so painful in my entire life - I couldn't eat or sleep. No amount of medication did anything. Nothing helped. My entire being was consumed by that pain, in addition to the general malaise and nausea of chemo. A nerve block began to take the edge off after a few weeks, but we're not sure how much of that was whatever happening had run its course or if the meds kicked in.

I was able to handle it because I knew it would end. I knew that chemo would end and that I was just experiencing a nerve flair up from the medications I was on. But if that was something I was going to expect forever? That's not life.

Death isn't always quick. Especially when looking at illnesses like cancer - you can die a very long, painful death. No one should be forced to die, but no one should be forced to live something less than life either. It is incredibly selfish to expect others to continue to live because you do not want to be deprived of their presence.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:51 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,546,345 times
The idea that suicide is wrong isn't at all universal. There are even some cultures where should certain things happen, suicide is honorable.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:59 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
Quote:
According to a report by the Detroit Free Press, 60% of the patients who committed suicide with Kevorkian's help were not terminally ill, and at least 13 had not complained of pain. The report further asserted that Kevorkian's counseling was too brief (with at least 19 patients dying less than 24 hours after first meeting Kevorkian) and lacked a psychiatric exam in at least 19 cases, 5 of which involved people with histories of depression, though Kevorkian was sometimes alerted that the patient was unhappy for reasons other than their medical condition.
And that's what happens when a service is banned and can only be obtained unlawfully. Had physician-assisted suicide been legal in Michigan when Kevorkian was doing what he did, he would not have been able to do so except under the auspices of state regulations. First, you demand something be illegal. Then you point to the fact that the process functions poorly when illegal. Finally, you then hold that up as a reason not to legalize it. And the contradiction in what you're trying to pass off as logic completely eludes you.

Quote:
'Suicide is Painless", is the theme song from the comedy show "MASH", it may be that way for the individual but not loved ones who are near and dear to the individual. Suicide is a selfish endeavor even in a medical condition where individual hasn't long to live. Like I have said before God is the final judgement, He is a loving God that understands our hurts and needs.
Death, regardless of the means, is painful for ones who love the deceased. Here's what is selfish - demanding that someone else suffer a long, agonizing death against their will because you think that will make their loved ones happier, and because you want to subject everyone else to your religious rules. That is selfish.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:40 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,340,860 times
Quote:
Perry, I've had several dogs over the years that had to be taken to the vet to be put down. One had a foot cancer that spread throughout the foot and ankle and then to other parts of the body very quickly. Eventually it became very difficult for him to walk outside and do his bathroom functions, and then his appetite started to leave him and his energy just dropped. Another one suffered a stroke (according to the vet). She lost all leg muscle function and could not hold herself up any longer and could not control her bathroom functions. She just collapsed on the ground and could not get up. Both these great pets were put to sleep. We recognized that their time here had come to an end, and nothing else was going to reverse their situation. That was the humane thing to do. The same thing happens to people. I think our awareness of end of life with dignity is coming around..... albeit very slowly.

Quote:
mensaguy said: We are more humane to our pets than we are to our parents and grandparents.
Agree..... we are not anywhere close yet.... and all we are talking about is giving people the legal right with help from professionals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality