Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 08:58 AM

641 posts, read 559,326 times

Advertisements

Bald Eagles are wild animals. They're extremely, extremely sensitive to sound. This crowd of Christians sees the bird flying and begins to chant "USA! USA!" Clearly disoriented, and attempting to escape, the eagle flies head-first in to a window and falls 30 or 40 feet to the ground, at which the church members begin to cheer.

Why would you release a wild animal in a room full of hollering college students? Why is it that disregard for the well-being of animals has always coincided with religion? Why is it that the chant "USA!" is always synonymous with something patently stupid? Most importantly, why on Earth do we abide with the unspoken maxim that religion should never be challenged or scrutinized?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tW0772EUhQ

For my money, the entire American Evangelical Christian movement is summed up in this single video.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 10:30 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,251,013 times
I hope the bird was OK.

I don't think they were cheering when the bird hit the window. That sounded more like an OH NO moment to me.

And I don't think that video sums up American evangelicalism. The evangelicals I've known are Christ-centered. Not USA-centered. I've heard chants of USA when veterans are saluted by a crowd. Is that "patently stupid"?

Last edited by DewDropInn; 05-23-2014 at 10:38 AM..

Old 05-23-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I hope the bird was OK.

I don't think they were cheering when the bird hit the window. That sounded more like an OH NO moment to me.

And I don't think that video sums up American evangelicalism. The evangelicals I've known are Christ-centered. Not USA-centered. I've heard chants of USA when veterans are saluted by a crowd. Is that "patently stupid"?
Well, we'll have to agree to disagree.

And as a US Army veteran, I'd be pretty turned off if anybody started chanting "USA!" because of me.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:42 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,232,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpc1 View Post
Bald Eagles are wild animals. They're extremely, extremely sensitive to sound. This crowd of Christians sees the bird flying and begins to chant "USA! USA!" Clearly disoriented, and attempting to escape, the eagle flies head-first in to a window and falls 30 or 40 feet to the ground, at which the church members begin to cheer.

Why would you release a wild animal in a room full of hollering college students? Why is it that disregard for the well-being of animals has always coincided with religion? Why is it that the chant "USA!" is always synonymous with something patently stupid? Most importantly, why on Earth do we abide with the unspoken maxim that religion should never be challenged or scrutinized?

For my money, the entire American Evangelical Christian movement is summed up in this single video.
What you have there is a video from Oral Roberts University. Neither that university, nor its namesake, is known for being particularly intellectual. Or Christian, for that matter.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:48 PM

618 posts, read 542,210 times
Hello rpc1.

I am still trying desperately to comprehend the relationship between being a Christian and being an American patriot. To many they are inextricably connected, but the justification for this eludes my logic. This connection between religion/patriotism and politics is equally confounding, but sure to get moderator cut should I expound the matter.

In the end, it seems to me that a lot of fundamentalist American Christians are far more focused on the "American" part (as they see it) and not so concerned about the "Christian" (read: Christ-like) part.

Thanks.

PS - There was nothing stupid about beating the Soviets en route to winning the 1980 gold medal in hockey!

Old 05-23-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyker View Post
Hello rpc1.

I am still trying desperately to comprehend the relationship between being a Christian and being an American patriot. To many they are inextricably connected, but the justification for this eludes my logic. This connection between religion/patriotism and politics is equally confounding, but sure to get moderator cut should I expound the matter.

In the end, it seems to me that a lot of fundamentalist American Christians are far more focused on the "American" part (as they see it) and not so concerned about the "Christian" (read: Christ-like) part.

Thanks.

PS - There was nothing stupid about beating the Soviets en route to winning the 1980 gold medal in hockey!
One heck of a post.

Hat's off to you and that 1980 U.S. hockey team.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:38 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,334,111 times
Quote:
I am still trying desperately to comprehend the relationship between being a Christian and being an American patriot.
Your desperate attempts at comprehending will be for naught since there is no relationship. Only the conservative evangelicals think this way - Moderator cut: Compaing Christianity to Nazis.

Yet it is this very provincial mentality that has America teetering on the mountaintop of supremacy just waiting for a small gust of wind from the Far East to send it rolling uncontrollably down the slope. When you're still chanting "America is #1" as America falls off the "top 10" list for everything from standard of living to freedom index, well ... it's like the guys playing the violin and cello as the Titanic sank.

Quote:
To many they are inextricably connected, but the justification for this eludes my logic. This connection between religion/patriotism and politics is equally confounding, but sure to get moderator cut should I expound the matter.
Maybe, which is why I limited myself to general statements.

Quote:
I don't think America is all that Christian - except when it comes to using the Bible to justify bigotry and fascism. Otherwise, most are in league with Mammon, the "god" of material wealth and greed.

Last edited by june 7th; 05-23-2014 at 05:30 PM..

Old 05-23-2014, 05:36 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,295,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Your desperate attempts at comprehending will be for naught since there is no relationship. Only the conservative evangelicals think this way - Moderator cut: Compaing Christianity to Nazis.

Yet it is this very provincial mentality that has America teetering on the mountaintop of supremacy just waiting for a small gust of wind from the Far East to send it rolling uncontrollably down the slope. When you're still chanting "America is #1" as America falls off the "top 10" list for everything from standard of living to freedom index, well ... it's like the guys playing the violin and cello as the Titanic sank.

Maybe, which is why I limited myself to general statements.

I don't think America is all that Christian - except when it comes to using the Bible to justify bigotry and fascism. Otherwise, most are in league with Mammon, the "god" of material wealth and greed.
All that hatred can't be good for your health.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Then you must be just furious at Zeus, Amon Ra, Vishnu, Allah, Quetzalcoatl and Joseph Smith, because you find their religions to be nonsense.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:04 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,334,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Yeah, we know the drill. Because we don't kowtow to your religion, we must hate everyone. Mmhmm. We get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality