Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 06:23 AM

19,823 posts, read 13,361,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAllenDoudna View Post
The Sabbath Commandment (Exodus 20:8-11) says that we are to remember the Sabbath because God created. It follows that if we forget the Sabbath we will forget Creation and we will forget the Creator. We forgot the Sabbath and today we live in a world that is dominated by athiests who teach a theory of evolution that has been accepted by most of the major Sunday Churches--and some of their pastors aren't sure if God is alive or not.
There are not valid associations IMO. Not does association equal cause.

The theory of evolution is another demonstration of this. It's associated with atheists because atheists are far less likely to be biased against it, but it is not itself atheistic nor is there any dearth of theists who accept it. It is most antithetical to bibliolatry, not to theism itself.

The root cause of people disavowing the creation story and theism generally is education. Faith -- especially the literalist variety -- cannot long endure in the face of reality and empiricism.

I suppose you are right in a sense -- if someone is willing to buy into an arbitrary dogma like the Sabbath, they are far more likely to accept any literalist dictum, whether or not it contradicts known facts or lacks corroborating evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 06:45 AM

32,530 posts, read 21,941,988 times
Quote:
If the Sabbath day is unknowable why does the Sabbath commandment specify it is the seventh day? Why did God send mana every morning for five days, double the sixth day, and none the seventh day for 40 years (Exodus 16). Don't you think that pretty well told God's people which day He meant? In Matthew 24:20 Jesus expected His followers to continue keeping the Sabbath 70 years after the Cross. In Acts 16:13 the Apostle Paul went down by the river to pray on the Sabbath, and in Acts 13:42 Paul taught the Gentiles in the synagogue on the Sabbath.
Seeing all that makes one wonder how all the Christian scholars missed those clues and declare sunday...

Old 06-01-2014, 06:54 AM

32,530 posts, read 21,941,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I don't tinik the world is dominated by atheists, since the vast majority of people belong to some religious denomination. There are many differences among people's religious belliefs and, unfortunately, those differences have been the cause of much of the war and persecution throughout history.

It's true that most mainline churches accept evolution. However, I'm somewhat alarmed at the high percentage of people who don't believe in evolution, despite all of the scientific evidence.
How do you know there is scientific evidence for evolution?...

Old 06-01-2014, 07:08 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,032,368 times
Quote:
All the other Commandments may be kept because they seem reasonable. But the only reason for keeping the Sabbath is that God said so.
I spoke with god and was informed that the whole Sabbath business is nonsense.

Now...you have competing claims and no real reason to believe one over the other.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:09 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,893,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
How do you know there is scientific evidence for evolution?...
It is clear from your question that you do not understand science.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:48 PM

553 posts, read 593,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
It is clear from your question that you do not understand science.
I have been told versions of this many times, so if I may offer an answer: You must have forgotten going to school! A good 89% of us attended Public Schools which taught Science and Evolution every year and 10% attended religious schools that taught Theistic Evolution--which is the same Evolution everybody else learned but we were told God had guided it. I went to Public School and got A's and B's in Science without ever studying or taking notes because I listened well in class and read the subject for fun. I knew Darwin's Theory of Evolution inside and out and in 10th grade spotted an error in my cousin's College textbook that described LaMark's Theory of Evolution as Darwin's.

Ultraviolet radiation is needed to form amino acids. But just as the same stove that cooks the food can burn the food if left on too long continued ultraviolet radiation will destroy the amino acids. This is solved by assuming the amino acids rained down into the primeveal ocean and the water blocked the ultraviolet radiation. But water disolves the chains of amino acids that form proteins needed for life. Thus, the two things necessary to get life started combine to prevent it from starting.

According to the strata in the Grand Canyon, that part of the Earth was around for the Cambrian Epoch, but it must have climbed into a time machine because there are no fossils for the next hundred million years, then it reappeared but it seems to have vanished two hundred fifty million years ago for there are no fossils from then till now.

We know that dinosaurs survived into historic times for our ancestors wrote about them. But our ancestors did not call them dinosaurs. They called them dragons.

If life evolved we should be able to dig anywhere and come up with fossils from each epoch. Instead, fossils from each epoch tend to appear only in certain areas. Is this not much like what we see in the world today with certain plants and animals found in certain areas and seldom venturing from their ecological niche? So the fossil epochs were separated from each other not by millions of years but by millions of inches. They were burried by Noah's Flood and the floodwaters washed out carbon-14 making the fossils appear millions of years old.

The Flood began when an asteroid struck halfway between the North Pole and Alaska. The crater it left is the Arctic Ocean while the shock of impact bulged out Antarctica. The earth's crust was shattered into tectonic plates. After the Flood there was high humidity. The destablized Earth's crust produced many volcanoes the erruptions of which reduced sunlight causing the humidity to become snow and producing the Ice Age. Science has no explaination for what caused the Ice Age, but it would be the expected result of Noah's Flood.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:03 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,091,717 times
Quote:
I have been told versions of this many times, so if I may offer an answer: You must have forgotten going to school! A good 89% of us attended Public Schools which taught Science and Evolution every year and 10% attended religious schools that taught Theistic Evolution--which is the same Evolution everybody else learned but we were told God had guided it. I went to Public School and got A's and B's in Science without ever studying or taking notes because I listened well in class and read the subject for fun. I knew Darwin's Theory of Evolution inside and out and in 10th grade spotted an error in my cousin's College textbook that described LaMark's Theory of Evolution as Darwin's.

Ultraviolet radiation is needed to form amino acids. But just as the same stove that cooks the food can burn the food if left on too long continued ultraviolet radiation will destroy the amino acids. This is solved by assuming the amino acids rained down into the primeveal ocean and the water blocked the ultraviolet radiation. But water disolves the chains of amino acids that form proteins needed for life. Thus, the two things necessary to get life started combine to prevent it from starting.

According to the strata in the Grand Canyon, that part of the Earth was around for the Cambrian Epoch, but it must have climbed into a time machine because there are no fossils for the next hundred million years, then it reappeared but it seems to have vanished two hundred fifty million years ago for there are no fossils from then till now.

We know that dinosaurs survived into historic times for our ancestors wrote about them. But our ancestors did not call them dinosaurs. They called them dragons.

If life evolved we should be able to dig anywhere and come up with fossils from each epoch. Instead, fossils from each epoch tend to appear only in certain areas. Is this not much like what we see in the world today with certain plants and animals found in certain areas and seldom venturing from their ecological niche? So the fossil epochs were separated from each other not by millions of years but by millions of inches. They were burried by Noah's Flood and the floodwaters washed out carbon-14 making the fossils appear millions of years old.

The Flood began when an asteroid struck halfway between the North Pole and Alaska. The crater it left is the Arctic Ocean while the shock of impact bulged out Antarctica. The earth's crust was shattered into tectonic plates. After the Flood there was high humidity. The destablized Earth's crust produced many volcanoes the erruptions of which reduced sunlight causing the humidity to become snow and producing the Ice Age. Science has no explaination for what caused the Ice Age, but it would be the expected result of Noah's Flood.
I should have snipped the quote for brevity but for the life of me, despite a few editing gigs, I just didn't know what to leave out.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:19 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,088,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I should have snipped the quote for brevity but for the life of me, despite a few editing gigs, I just didn't know what to leave out.

Remember when we called that tripping out?

Old 06-06-2014, 06:28 PM

553 posts, read 593,895 times
If you can't spend one day with God now how will you ever stand to spend an Eternity with Him?

The Sabbath is a date with God. You want your date ready when you come by to pick her up don't you?

Old 06-06-2014, 09:05 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,893,738 times
Quote:

Thank for the humor interlude. I needed that!

Now, go remove your tongue out of your cheek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality