Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 05:24 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,227,060 times

Advertisements

would it affect your opinion as to the existence or non-existence of God?

Conversely, if other celestial bodies contained life, would *that* fact affect your opinion as to the existence or non-existence of God?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 06:16 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,508,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post

Conversely, if other celestial bodies contained life, would *that* fact affect your opinion as to the existence or non-existence of God?
If it turns out the fact that our planet is the only spot in the universe with life that would be profound. I would be in Awe of the specialness of our planet. It would weaken the atheistic POV. Of course, it would not convince the skeptic.

Life on other planets would be cool and would have no effect on my belief in God. Win-win!

Scientists have Faith that life exists on other planets. We have no evidence for life on other planets. They just think it must be so. That is fine.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:57 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,894,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
If it turns out the fact that our planet is the only spot in the universe with life that would be profound. I would be in Awe of the specialness of our planet. It would weaken the atheistic POV. Of course, it would not convince the skeptic.

Life on other planets would be cool and would have no effect on my belief in God. Win-win!

Scientists have Faith that life exists on other planets. We have no evidence for life on other planets. They just think it must be so. That is fine.
Sort of faith in a god with out evidence, right?

Old 06-21-2014, 07:05 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:

I notice how the only position that would elevate your POV just happens to be the one that helps your POV. How interesting!

Scientists don't have 'faith' - they make a very good statisticle inference based upon what we know about physics, our own solar system, planet, and life here on Earth. Why should any other part of the Universe not be life permiting? What informs you that life is only permited here in our section of the Universe? Given the number of galaxaies, stars, solar systems, ect. it is all but a fact that life exists eleswhere given the numbers involved and the fact that we know of nothing that says physics operates differently elsewhere. And this is despite how rare it is that life would get started under very unique circumstances - the numbers are just too great.

In fact this is a good falsification test for the non-theists. If we discover that life is only permited here then that definately needs some explaining why that would be the case since it would fly directly in the face of what we know on every level from physics to biology. As such I have no problem putting that bet to the test and saying that this scenerio would definately make me consider the 'God' hypothesis more seriously.

To bad theists can't do the same. Everything is just a win-win for them because no matter what they don't want the evidence to guide them - - they already have their conclusion set in stone.

Last edited by 2K5Gx2km; 06-21-2014 at 07:32 PM..

Old 06-21-2014, 07:12 PM

472 posts, read 384,289 times
Quote:

The Bible says all religion will fall overnight. That means the concept of God will be destroyed. That will take a big event to make most who serve God come to believe there is no God.
Perhaps those angels who came to earth before the flood, will come again...but this time pretending they are life from a far off world, and say..."We planted you here."
Look how easy it has been to turn people away from God? That would kick even most of the hard core off the cliff.
Only the fools like me would not turn away.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:18 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,223,092 times
Listen, we find life on another planet and I don't see how for one second you can defend believing word-for-word what most religious texts claim.

I think the position most religions will take is that their texts are merely metaphors, etc.

However, I don't see why that would make you think there is or isn't a god.

I also don't understand why religious people seem so confused about atheists and how/why they feel that way.
Honestly...do you think the ancient greeks/romans had a legitimate idea of what was going on with what you now
call "MYTHOLOGY"? Atheists likely simply feel the same way you do about other religions gone by...that it's just
mythology and a cultural construct.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:21 PM

18,228 posts, read 16,845,451 times
Quote:

Many people who have reported extensive NDE's say they have talked with a God-figure and that He has said the universe is teeming with diverse life forms. Howard Storm is one.

Howard Storm - On other life in the universe - YouTube

Old 06-21-2014, 07:22 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,508,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Sort of faith in a god with out evidence, right?
Except theists do have evidence. The sort that is dismissed by the skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
I notice how the only position that would elevate your POV just happens to be the one that helps your POV. How interesting!

Scientists don't have 'faith' - they make a very good statisticle inference based upon what we know about physics, our own solar system, planet, and life here on Earth. Why should any other part of the Universe not be life permiting? What informs you that life is only permited here in our section of the Universe? Given the number of galaxaies, stars, solar systems, ect. it is all but a fact that life exists eleswhere given the numbers involved and the fact that we know of nothing that says physics operates differently elsewhere. And this is despite how rare it is that life would get started under very unique circumstances - the numbers are just too great.

In fact this is a good falsification test for the non-theists. If we discover that life is only permited here then that definately needs some explaining why that would be the case since it would fly directly in the face of what we know on every level from physics to biology. As such I have no problem putting that bet to the test and saying that this scenerio would definately make me consider the 'God' hypothesis more seriously.

To bad theists can do the same. Everything is just a win-win for them because no matter what they don't want the evidence to guide them - - they already have their conclusion set in stone.

Your post has internal inconsistencies.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:29 PM

18,228 posts, read 16,845,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Listen, we find life on another planet and I don't see how for one second you can defend believing word-for-word what most religious texts claim.

I think the position most religions will take is that their texts are merely metaphors, etc.

However, I don't see why that would make you think there is or isn't a god.

I also don't understand why religious people seem so confused about atheists and how/why they feel that way.
Honestly...do you think the ancient greeks/romans had a legitimate idea of what was going on with what you now
call "MYTHOLOGY"? Atheists likely simply feel the same way you do about other religions gone by...that it's just
mythology and a cultural construct.
The discovery of life on other planets would not in the least affect the credibility of the Bible in this regard simply because the Bible never addressed this particular issue.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:30 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Your post has internal inconsistencies.
Well, if you say so!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality