Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 11:25 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times

Advertisements

Although it may be considered a political questions, it is just as much a religious one.

I suspect, based on past issues that were either not protested, or meekly so, that we will see little or no outrage on the Muslim "street", or frankly in much of the media or message boards, about the atrocities that ISIS is involved in, nor much decent of the Caliphate they just announced.

I hope to be proven wrong, but I doubt that.

And it seriously bothers me that is the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 07:30 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,529,527 times
Well, the Shia at least are very upset about ISIS. Hell, even Al Qaeda disowned them for their radicalism, and there is considerable resistance to them from Muslims who disagree with them in Iraq and Syria. In Calgary recently there was a sizable protest of ISIS by Sunni Muslims, denouncing them and encouraging the community to oust any radicalising elements that might insight local youth to leave for Jihad in the Middle East.

At the end of the day though, the roots of this problem are domestic political issues in Syria and Iraq, and the situation will not be resolved without political reforms by Iraqi politicians (as for Syria, I'm not so sure a positive ending is even possible anymore).

Old 07-02-2014, 11:48 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,085,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Although it may be considered a political questions, it is just as much a religious one.

I suspect, based on past issues that were either not protested, or meekly so, that we will see little or no outrage on the Muslim "street", or frankly in much of the media or message boards, about the atrocities that ISIS is involved in, nor much decent of the Caliphate they just announced.

I hope to be proven wrong, but I doubt that.

And it seriously bothers me that is the case.
Quote:
Thousands Of British Muslims Gather To Denounce ISIS, Hear Messages Of Peace
SOURCE

Quote:
Muslims Against Terror Strongly Condemns The Killings And Attacks By Takfiri Muslims (ISIL) Terrorists In Iraq -
16 June 2014, 18 Sha’aban 1435
Assalamu alaykum (Peace Be Upon you)
We the Muslims Against Terror, totally condemn the attacks of the Sunni Islamic extremist Takfiri Group i.e the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS), affiliates to Al-Qaeda terrorists Organizations that operate in both Iraq and Syria that have captured several Iraqi Cities and pushed the country into deadly and barbaric chaos.
This Extremists Group (ISIS) is a terrorists organization who are killing the innocent people in cities, attacking the Government of Iraq and whose goal is to establish a radical State that violates the principles of Islam and the noble prophet.
SOURCE

Quote:
Midland Muslims to condemn ISIS extremists

Muslims across the Midlands will gather today, at the same time as Muslims around the country, united in their condemnation of the extremist group ISIS.
SOURCE

Quote:
Middle East
Dec. 24, 2013 | 12:05 AM
Muslim scholars condemn ISIS over violations

The Daily Star

BEIRUT: Seven leading organizations representing Muslim scholars have condemned hard-line jihadists from the Islamic State of Iraq and Greater Syria (ISIS) for committing human rights abuses and acting against the interest of Syria’s popular uprising.
SOURCE

Quote:
Letter of Condemnation and Petition for Action on ISIS
Posted on June 14, 2014 by Admin

The Baqee Organizaton , a coalition of American- Muslims citizens committed to raise awareness of atrocities and attacks on Muslims, Islam and Islamic Heritage led by the dogmatic ideology of the Wahhabi(aka Salafi or Takfiri) cult across the world has raised its venomous head again in the form of ISIS the so called Islamic state of Iraq and al-Sham. This brutal organization is supported and funded by the like-minded countries with fanatic view of exporting terrorism in other countries with a majority of Shia population.
SOURCE

Quote:
Pakistani Sunni leaders condemn ISIL terrorism saying they are takfiri terrorists
2014, 22 June 12:14 PM
News Code : 617951
Pakistani Sunni leaders and scholars have condemned the ISIL terrorist attacks in Iraq and Syria saying that they were takfiri terrorists hence media should not identify them as Sunnis.

Pakistani Sunni leaders and scholars have condemned the ISIL terrorist attacks in Iraq and Syria saying that they were takfiri terrorists hence media should not identify them as Sunnis.
SOURCE

Old 07-02-2014, 12:48 PM

293 posts, read 317,243 times
It exists. The mainstream media just doesn't report it.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:04 PM

63,819 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjthejetplane View Post
It exists. The mainstream media just doesn't report it.
Thank you, Wood. I say: "Wood for Caliph!!"

Old 07-02-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Thank you, Wood. I say: "Wood for Caliph!!"

I can't afford to give up my day-job

Besides most of us Sunni believe the Next Caliphate will be established by Jesus(as) and the Mehdi. I am reasonably certain I am neither one.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
It is a good start, although I note some of those organizations have very small adherents. Certainly we have not seen a plethora of Muslims flood the streets in the Middle East in protest.

Think back what happened when that wack job preacher from the Westboro Baptist church threatened to burn Korans, and the street reaction.

Why are we not seeing the same now?

Old 07-02-2014, 02:05 PM

460 posts, read 779,211 times
What I'd like to see are ordinary Iraqi and Syrian citizens rise up and brutally kill these animals en masse. These ISIS types only respond to violence and only respect their might makes right philosophy. They are almost certainly outgunned in Iraq, as most if not all Iraqi men seem to have weapons at home. I wouldn't normally condone horrific painful killings, but it may be the only thing that scares them.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
It is a good start, although I note some of those organizations have very small adherents. Certainly we have not seen a plethora of Muslims flood the streets in the Middle East in protest.

Think back what happened when that wack job preacher from the Westboro Baptist church threatened to burn Korans, and the street reaction.

Why are we not seeing the same now?
Several possibilities

1, Most of the radicals that did the loudest protests against Westboro are the very same people that make up or support ISIS

2. Mainstream media would much rather find protests that support ISIS

3. As most members of ISIS probably do not speak English the major protests will be in either Arabic or Farsi and not get much Media attention.

4. The protests would not be seen as a danger to Non-Muslims, therefore not news worthy.

Personally I think the primary reason you are not hearing of them is reason 4. The Media has no incentive to publicize it.

Protests are taking place.

Just a thought. Does it seem plausible Muslims would not condemn a group that threatens to destroy the Kaabah?

Old 07-02-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Several possibilities

1, Most of the radicals that did the loudest protests against Westboro are the very same people that make up or support ISIS

2. Mainstream media would much rather find protests that support ISIS

3. As most members of ISIS probably do not speak English the major protests will be in either Arabic or Farsi and not get much Media attention.

4. The protests would not be seen as a danger to Non-Muslims, therefore not news worthy.

Personally I think the primary reason you are not hearing of them is reason 4. The Media has no incentive to publicize it.

Protests are taking place.

Just a thought. Does it seem plausible Muslims would not condemn a group that threatens to destroy the Kaabah?

When I read that a week ago or so, I was amazed that they would even suggest it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality