Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 11:33 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Well, it's a better argument than none.
Strawman!

Yeah because non-theists are the only ones going around making unsubstantiated claims and bald assertions. Sorry that it is we that have been able to explain things without the use of your unsubstantiated meta-being. Just because all the answers are not in yet does not mean you have the default position. Physics and chemistry display some pretty 'magical' properties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 11:33 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Uh, no, actually your idea that the universe was poofed into existence fully formed more accurately describes the dryer analogy.
And where did I ever say the universe was "poofed into existence fully formed"?

Quote:
It wasn't as though the Big Bang spat out galaxies and solar systems and life all ready to go - which is what you're claiming the dryer does with the clothes.

Claiming that God did it merely adds an extra step to a still sourceless event. Giving the existence of the universe a source which, itself, does not have a source, says absolutely nothing in relation to the question being discussed.

Tacking on a "but God is eternal" clause is also useless because the existence of God hasn't even been established much less whether or not he is eternal. Unfortunately, pitting faith against science means that faith can simply make stuff up on the spot to defeat anything science proposes - but most of us are pretty wise to that age-old tactic.
Where did I ever say "God is eternal"?

Old 07-01-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Strawman!

Better than your strawwoman.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:40 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Better than your strawwoman.
Ironic defeat!

Talk about a non-argument.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:47 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:

Its implied given your theology. Plus I am sure we can find plenty of posts that show you believe God is eternal.

Here is a quote from you right here on this thread:

'But we do take it for granted He is eternal where no actual proof exists.'

Old 07-01-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Its implied given your theology. Plus I am sure we can find plenty of posts that show you believe God is eternal.
You are sure? You are surely wrong.

Quote:
Here is a quote from you right here on this thread:

'But we do take it for granted He is eternal where no actual proof exists.'
Thanks for ripping that out of context. I just said in the context there is no proof in the bible that God is eternal. Saying Christians take it for granted does not mean they are correct in taking it for granted.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:52 AM

348 posts, read 294,670 times
Science could have some understanding for the opportunity to go around in circles endlessly, trying to figure out what is really going on .

Old 07-01-2014, 11:52 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
Quote:
In one of our earlier debates.

Quote:
Well, for your side of the argument to work, he would have to be. Otherwise, it's just like I said - you're trying to attribute the source of the universe to something else that also has no source, thus merely pushing everything back a step ... but it answers nothing.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Ironic defeat!

Talk about a non-argument.
Don't take your defeat so badly. There's always another day.

God creating the universe is so much more logical then everything coming into being by accident that I can't believe you don't at least see the logic.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius

Quote:
In one of our earlier debates.
Wrong. I never ever once said it or even intimated it.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius
Quote:
Well, for your side of the argument to work, he would have to be. Otherwise, it's just like I said - you're trying to attribute the source of the universe to something else that also has no source, thus merely pushing everything back a step ... but it answers nothing.
So if a man made a robot he'd have to be eternal? He would just have to be older than the robot he made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality