Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2014, 07:38 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
We know how many christians rant and rave against homosexuality in general and same sex marriage in particular.

They rant on forums, they rant from the pulpits, and they rant to their politicians.

Yet the focus on how destructive homosexuality and same sex marriage is makes one wonder why adultery does not have the same or a larger focus from christians and from the pulpit?

After all, what is more destructive to a traditional marriage? The deceit that one partner carries out? Or the fact that Eve and Mary next door have sex together in a loving stable relationship?

Maybe it's because surveys show that there is more cheating going on in the bible belt? Cheating site Ashley Madison has a higher percentage of members from the bible belt. What is it in the DNA of fundamentalist christians that causes that, and on the other hand, so object to homosexual marriage?

This is simple - people who rant about homosexuality are just living like those described in Matthew 7:3-5

"Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?"

There's nothing new here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 10:36 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
Open and increased homosexuality is the result of society's tolerance of adultery.

We just learn it now. But at the time of when the old (Sodom & Gomorrha) and new testament (Rome) were put together it was obvious.
Rome had been Christian for over a century when it fell. Augustine had to argue that the fall was not the fault of Christianity and Rome's abandonment of the old gods.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:45 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,631,075 times
cupper3 one of the reasons that Christians "rant" against homosexuality is that this society is increasingly shoving it down their throats. It is "in your face" in todays "in-your-face" society. Not only homosexuality but abortion as well as the whole "separation of church and state" thing. Let me give you an example:
California County Commends Christian Pregnancy Center Despite ACLU Threats | Christian News Network
Why should it matter to the American Communist Lawyers Union if a town wants to recognize an organization for serving its citizens? They (towns) do it all of the time. But when the organization is Christian...that's a different story. But to get back to your question, while same-sex marriage is a mockery of traditional man-woman marriage (the same way atheists claim that creation believers mock their "no God" evolution theory) adultery is wrong in that it is not taking your vows to be faithful before God (assuming such vows were taken before God, if not the point is moot) seriously and thus took your oath/his name in vain.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:32 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
same-sex marriage is a mockery of traditional man-woman marriage (the same way atheists claim that creation believers mock their "no God" evolution theory) adultery is wrong in that it is not taking your vows to be faithful before God (assuming such vows were taken before God, if not the point is moot) seriously and thus took your oath/his name in vain.
So SSM is just a perceived mockery against married people of the same sex and adultery is against a Commandment.
If this is so, it brings up the question that arises from the op.
Why so much public outrage against the one but not the other, especially when what you said makes it appear to be a much lesser 'wrong' ?

Old 07-20-2014, 08:05 AM

57 posts, read 51,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
We know how many christians rant and rave against homosexuality in general and same sex marriage in particular.

They rant on forums, they rant from the pulpits, and they rant to their politicians.

Yet the focus on how destructive homosexuality and same sex marriage is makes one wonder why adultery does not have the same or a larger focus from christians and from the pulpit?

After all, what is more destructive to a traditional marriage? The deceit that one partner carries out? Or the fact that Eve and Mary next door have sex together in a loving stable relationship?

Maybe it's because surveys show that there is more cheating going on in the bible belt? Cheating site Ashley Madison has a higher percentage of members from the bible belt. What is it in the DNA of fundamentalist christians that causes that, and on the other hand, so object to homosexual marriage?
Neither is good for society, neither is a "Christian" act. Essentially it comes down to the fact that sin is sin and that sin is detestable in the eyes of the Lord. If you break one part of the law, you are a lawbreaker according to Paul. That means you have broken all of the law. Praise God we have a savior who sacrificed himself so if we believe on Him as our Personal Savior, we can be forgiven and go to heaven. We will still have to answer for the results and repercussions of that sin. Do you really want to explain it to God? Also, you have to ask yourself, Christians on a cheating site. Um, anyone can SAY they are a Christian, but that does not mean they are. Even Satan believes that Jesus came down, was born a baby, grew up teaching and preaching, was crucified and died on the cross, rose from the dead and ascended into heaven. I think we all know he is NOT heaven bound!

Old 07-20-2014, 08:18 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafrak View Post
Neither is good for society, !
How is SSM harmful to society?
Remember now, not asking about whether or not it is a sin the participant may have to answer for...how is society harmed?
And maybe you can tell us how does it directly affect your life?

Old 07-20-2014, 10:04 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
How is SSM harmful to society?
Remember now, not asking about whether or not it is a sin the participant may have to answer for...how is society harmed?
And maybe you can tell us how does it directly affect your life?
They NEVER have a cogent answer to those questions.

It's always "well, God said..." in their mouldy old "holy" book.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:05 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,057 times
Forgive them, Father, for they know not what they type.

Quote:
cupper3 one of the reasons that Christians "rant" against homosexuality is that this society is increasingly shoving it down their throats. It is "in your face" in todays "in-your-face" society. Not only homosexuality but abortion as well as the whole "separation of church and state" thing.
What does "in your face" mean, exactly? Is that a quantitative amount? Is there a meter or other device that can accurately measure a unit of "in your face?" Is a unit of "in your face" roughly equivalent to a "crapton," do you think?

I don't know, you tell me. Because for some folks, especially for the fundie Christians who have created entire mountain ranges where once stood molehills, "in your face" essentially means "out of the closet."

Isn't that what you're -really- saying? "Christians rant against homosexuality because they've been reminded that gays exist!!!" Yeah, that really -does- seem to be the case.

What's extraordinarily funny (and not in a ha ha way) is you complaining about how the separation of church and state is also "in your face."

LOL! It's the law. That's like saying, "Dammit, I'm sick of those commie lawyers always pushing these laws against murder!" Maybe if fundies would actually respect the separation of church and state, you wouldn't hear about it so much. Wow, in the words of George Carlin, "How often the simple solution eludes us."

Guess what, buddy: It eluded you.

Quote:
Do you know anything about what the ACLU does? Are you aware of how many times the ACLU has actually -defended- religious freedom from those who would try to take it away? You need to do your research and -then- come back to this thread and, with a straight face, lambaste the ACLU.

Oh wait, I get it ... because the ACLU doesn't support whatever religion wants to do, be it right or wrong, legal or illegal, you hate those *ahem* Commie bastards.

What's interesting to note: Guess which group is the arch-nemesis of fascists? Why, communists, of course! Is there a pattern forming? Noooooo, nooo, of course not. I mean, it's not as though a fascist would whine about another group, gays for instance, for availing themselves of one of our fundamental freedoms like, say, freedom of speech. Gosh, what was I thinking?!

Quote:
Why should it matter to the American Communist Lawyers Union if a town wants to recognize an organization for serving its citizens?
First of all, LOL @ "communist" lawyers. Has a post Cold War Red Scare bubbled up from the pit of shameful American history without my knowledge? Secondly, what about the ACLU makes them communists? I didn't realize the ACLU had its own economic doctrines. Please, educate the ignorant masses.

Quote:
They (towns) do it all of the time. But when the organization is Christian...that's a different story.
I bet you're happier than a clam now that you can jump up and down while pointing to this story and exclaiming, "See? See? I told you Christians are being persecuted!" (Never mind the fact that Christians just won a major Supreme Court decision.)

Now, is the ACLU most likely over-reaching in this particular case? Yeah, probably. There's nothing overtly unconstitutional about a local government merely offering words of praise to a religious organization - even if that organization -does- sound a bit predatory.

Quote:
But to get back to your question, while same-sex marriage is a mockery of traditional man-woman marriage (the same way atheists claim that creation believers mock their "no God" evolution theory) adultery is wrong in that it is not taking your vows to be faithful before God (assuming such vows were taken before God, if not the point is moot) seriously and thus took your oath/his name in vain.
What makes you think that everyone who gets married vows anything at all in the name of your god?

BUT ... here's where I digress somewhat simply because I want to point a few things out.

First of all, the website that Dauntless Dan so dauntlessly linked us to isn't any better than how Dan perceives the ACLU. But that's one of the pitfalls of religion. Die-hard believers are often incapable of seeing the offenses committed by their own side and only see the harm done -to- their side. I guess that's why you see so many Christians wandering around looking like this:

Secondly, alerting an atheist to a site like that reminds me of a quote: "Never hand someone a gun unless you know where they're going to point it."

Finally, the main point, is this site links to another story where Christians are whining over the fact that atheists were allowed to hand out literature at a school when Christians were allowed to hand out Bibles. This is one of my favorite quotes:
Furthermore, the materials repeatedly attack Christian beliefs and doctrines, including the life of Jesus Christ.
NooooooooooOO! Not that! Say it isn't so!

Essentially they don't like the fact that -some- of the atheist literature featured many of the same arguments we use on this very forum, namely pointing out the immorality of God in the Old Testament. Except atheists are supposed to talk about this immorality without mentioning immorality.

They only have one real legitimate point, quasi though it may be:
“… Then the atheists got involved, and they wanted to distribute material, not to promote atheism, but to denigrate Christianity and religion in general. They are not content with presenting their belief system, they have to tear down others belief systems.”
Hmm, that's a fair point, I suppose, though only in the most basic sense. When you're up against a belief system that, in every likelihood, has already been established in the lives of these students, you sometimes -have- to tear down the existing belief system in order for them to even consider your own belief system. Otherwise, you just end up being immediately dismissed because God is real because the Bible says so, and the Bible is true because God said it was.

Bottom line though is that, if Christians want the right to have their organizations commended by the government while they blast communist (LOL?) lawyers, then you have to grant your opposition the same right to be heard.

Linky Linky

Last edited by Shirina; 07-20-2014 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: A communist lawyer seized all of my possessions and gave them to the State - including my first draft.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:27 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,620,471 times
Liberals in general are horrible for marriage. They want what God created but do not want to adhere to it's principles.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:37 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Liberals in general are horrible for marriage. They want what God created but do not want to adhere to it's principles.
Allen, hate to break it to you, but marriage existed before your bible and its "god."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality