Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 10:43 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

After the church service during which my mother was baptized as a teenager, the minister suddenly asked her if she went to the movies. She said she did. He shook his head and told her that if he had known that, he wouldn't have baptized her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 01:41 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,916,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
That is pretty free interpretation. Paul was answering a question about food that had been offered to idols. In fact Paul says that you can eat it unless you know specifically that that it has been offered or sacrificed to Idols. It is par for the course for apologists to take such a term totally ouit of context and apply it to something irrelevant.

If that is contested, let me point out that Paul has some stony things to say in Cor.1 about his backsliding converts, but he hasn't any objection to music celebrations, games, entertainments and the like. You have rather gone out on a limb taking Paul's remarks out of context to give some sort of scriptural validity to your own likes and dislikes.

Lets reason on why hearts get filled with hatred enough to murder,Jesus, apostles and Christians back then.
I seriously doubt it was done for teaching, love , peace, unity, or the good news of Gods kingdom and king.
I do believe that not only were they showing the positive views from God, but as well exposing the table of demons, especially prevalent in the world' celebrations. The world hated those truths---same today.
Why would so many fill their hearts with hatred enough to wipe out Gods people?

Old 07-16-2014, 01:46 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Let me just say, there is more than one possible answer to that question. It is not just the one answer you would expect or prefer to hear.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Really? the "table of demons" that Paul is writing about is sacrifices to idols (the ancient pagans used to leave food for the needy in statues of their gods). He said that the pagan gods of Rome were demons (its a wonder Christians were hated), but first that their pagan sacrifices was like doing nothing, but then did a 180 and said it was actually doing something very very wrong and in fact it was sacrificing to demons and inviting the "angelically good" jealous wrath of Yahweh (that hadn't befallen pagans before and doesn't befall Hindus). Then he said that if a nonbeliever invited you to their party you can eat anything you want, and also you can eat anything you buy as food, because everything was God's and I guess that meant you could throw the dietary laws out the window as some said Jesus suggested, As long as you praise God while doing it. So music, video games, movies, and celebrations are all allowed as long as you seek the good of others and not yourselves and do it for the glory of God.

I do believe God views pagan practices and the such as food sacrificed to idols as well as all the false god worship and religions on earth.
How much glory is it to God, when blood and guts and heads are flying, or immoral sex is occurring or the many sides of the occult= 0( movies,video games,cartoons)music promotes many bad things God hates.
Not all of them, but some of them.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:25 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,322,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
I do believe God views pagan practices and the such as food sacrificed to idols as well as all the false god worship and religions on earth.
How much glory is it to God, when blood and guts and heads are flying, or immoral sex is occurring or the many sides of the occult= 0( movies,video games,cartoons)music promotes many bad things God hates.
Not all of them, but some of them.
Why does God need glorified all the time?

Does God sometimes forget who he is?

"Oh, uh, uh, thanks Christians for sending glory my way. For a decade or two, I thought I was Miley Cyrus doing a pole dance in a XXX club. If not for that glory, I might have forgotten that .. wow, I'm God!"

Old 07-21-2014, 09:05 AM

63,801 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Why does God need glorified all the time?
Does God sometimes forget who he is?
"Oh, uh, uh, thanks Christians for sending glory my way. For a decade or two, I thought I was Miley Cyrus doing a pole dance in a XXX club. If not for that glory, I might have forgotten that .. wow, I'm God!"
You really crack me up, Shirina!

Old 07-22-2014, 06:40 AM

19,994 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Lets reason on why hearts get filled with hatred enough to murder,Jesus, apostles and Christians back then.
I seriously doubt it was done for teaching, love , peace, unity, or the good news of Gods kingdom and king.
I do believe that not only were they showing the positive views from God, but as well exposing the table of demons, especially prevalent in the world' celebrations. The world hated those truths---same today.
Why would so many fill their hearts with hatred enough to wipe out Gods people?
Indeed let us "reason on" it.

Why do so many fill their hearts with hatred enough to shoot down airliners or kill protesters? Hatred and murder are scarcely limited to Christians, much less Christians of your ilk. Muslims murder Muslims. Ukranians murder Ukranians and now, apparently, the Dutch. Some guy in the US recently wiped out a whole family, and why? Because he was a godless man and they were Christians? No, because he was a mentally ill person with anger and impulse control issues who could not get the family to reveal the whereabouts of his ex-wife.

And then of course there is, ahem, the crusades in which Christians had their hearts filled with hatred enough to try to wipe out some non-Christians as well as the Inquisition in which Christians wiped out fellow Christians who they regarded to be of insufficient doctrinal purity.

Since there is plenty of malice and mayhem to go around and it's not limited to Christians and their persecution complexes, the existence of atrocities against people who happen to be Christians is proof of nothing except that some people don't think clearly or deal honorably or tolerantly with others.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post

Why do so many fill their hearts with hatred enough to shoot down airliners or kill protesters? Hatred and murder are scarcely limited to Christians, much less Christians of your ilk. Muslims murder Muslims. Ukranians murder Ukranians and now, apparently, the Dutch. Some guy in the US recently wiped out a whole family, and why? Because he was a godless man and they were Christians? No, because he was a mentally ill person with anger and impulse control issues who could not get the family to reveal the whereabouts of his ex-wife.

And then of course there is, ahem, the crusades in which Christians had their hearts filled with hatred enough to try to wipe out some non-Christians as well as the Inquisition in which Christians wiped out fellow Christians who they regarded to be of insufficient doctrinal purity.

Since there is plenty of malice and mayhem to go around and it's not limited to Christians and their persecution complexes, the existence of atrocities against people who happen to be Christians is proof of nothing except that some people don't think clearly or deal honorably or tolerantly with others.

You have failed to realize--the religion Jesus began was murdered along with them---- there were no Christians involved in crusades or the inquisition--- no religion using a pagan cross as its front are Christian in reality--they just tell people they are. One thing is 100% for sure--they do not teach Jesus' truths. these people-Matt 7:21-23.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:11 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Quote:
You have failed to realize--the religion Jesus began was murdered along with them---- there were no Christians involved in crusades or the inquisition--- no religion using a pagan cross as its front are Christian in reality--they just tell people they are. One thing is 100% for sure--they do not teach Jesus' truths. these people-Matt 7:21-23.
There's always weasel-worded wiggle room to deny/explain/rationalize Christianity's many, many grievous sins.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:36 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,965,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant

Do you think the Ukrainian mess is about religious factions? I sure hope not.

I thought the crusades were mostly done not by true Christians but by state run militaries ruled by a pope (who may be anything but a Christian) in Rome.

Have you ever been attacked by someone who is a true Christian in every sense of the word? Usually the drunks, drug addicts and gang bangers are the ones who cause the mayhem in cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality