Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 03:43 PM

331 posts, read 547,819 times

Advertisements

The vast majority of Christians don't believe the stuff. They only pretend to believe because they don't want to be alienated from their community. They likely grew up as Christians and so most of their long-lasting relations are with other Christians. Better to just go with the status quo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 04:27 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
I don't "know" because I just don't have a clue about what "truth" is being questioned. Are we questioning the existence of God? The Holy Trinity? Whether there is Heaven and/or Hell? I'm lost.

Old 07-05-2014, 04:31 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,254,139 times
Well now that I've met a mind reader, I believe all sorts of things!

Old 07-05-2014, 05:00 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
It is probably based on personal interviews conducted by the OP with the vast majority of Christians.

Of course "vast" is a non specific collective adjective, so it would be helpful if the OP could provide us with the precise percentage at which the interviewed Christians confessing to the social only motive, become "vast."

Does anyone know? Which is the larger majority?
Vast majority
Overwhelming majority
Huge majority

Old 07-05-2014, 05:31 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by const_iterator View Post
The vast majority of Christians don't believe the stuff. They only pretend to believe because they don't want to be alienated from their community. They likely grew up as Christians and so most of their long-lasting relations are with other Christians. Better to just go with the status quo.
I must have been an exception. I firmly believed with all my being when I was a Christian. I had no doubts that the bible was the absolute truth and My faith in Christianity was saving me from Hellfire.

Never dreamed that one day I would leave Christianity.

Although during my last 3 years, as a Christian, I did continue "practicing" Christianity because of family. Friends, peer pressure and fear.

Old 07-05-2014, 05:57 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,528,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by const_iterator View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I don't "know" because I just don't have a clue about what "truth" is being questioned. Are we questioning the existence of God? The Holy Trinity? Whether there is Heaven and/or Hell? I'm lost.
I'm not the only one for a change!

Last edited by june 7th; 07-09-2014 at 08:44 AM..

Old 07-05-2014, 06:07 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,918,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

That's a shame you believe in the trinity it contradicts Jesus,Paul,John--who all are in agreement--Jesus has a God, his Father-Jehovah. John 20:17, Rev 3:12---2Cor 1:3,,1Cor 8:6,,1Cor 15:24-28----Rev 1:6

Deuteronomy 32:4--ALL of Gods ways are justice--- God has perfect justice scales--an eye for an eye---This makes an eternal place of suffering a non true teaching--symbolism for( the value of) what those would be missing out on forever in Gods kingdom.
Jesus clearly taught-- Enter through the narrow gate, for cramped is the road that leads off into life( eternal)FEW will find it. For broad and spacious the path that leads to destruction( eternal), many have entered this way.
There is a heaven.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:23 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times
The truth most christian won't admit is Paul the distraction.
Several things Paul taught, Jesus did not, and, vise versa.
An honest study of the two will reveal enough of a conflict.
Paul introduced Grace , by his definition God's compromising with sin .
I assure you God does not compromise with sin .
Nor did Jesus ever use the word grace, nor imply it by Paul's definition.
We are not saved by grace, but by obedience , obeying Jesus to start with, and the Holy Spirit Jesus designated to fallow through.
It is a contradiction to say works don't matter, when Jesus plainly stated they do.
Not noble works Paul taught, but the response of obedience The Holy spirit instructs person to person.
Bottom line Jesus is judge, Matthew 7;21,22,23, not Paul or any other man for that matter.
Whom will Jesus say you were serving?

Old 07-05-2014, 06:43 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
The truth most christian won't admit is Paul the distraction.
Several things Paul taught, Jesus did not, and, vise versa.
An honest study of the two will reveal enough of a conflict.
Paul introduced Grace , by his definition God's compromising with sin .
I assure you God does not compromise with sin .
Nor did Jesus ever use the word grace, nor imply it by Paul's definition.
We are not saved by grace, but by obedience , obeying Jesus to start with, and the Holy Spirit Jesus designated to fallow through.
It is a contradiction to say works don't matter, when Jesus plainly stated they do.
Not noble works Paul taught, but the response of obedience The Holy spirit instructs person to person.
Bottom line Jesus is judge, Matthew 7;21,22,23, not Paul or any other man for that matter.
Whom will Jesus say you were serving?
This exhibits a great lack of understanding about the old and new covenant and to whom Jesus was speaking. However, that's a topic for the Christianity forum.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:05 PM

135 posts, read 128,085 times
I don't think we can say for certain that the vast majority do no really believe, but I do think there is a large number of christians who claim to believe but do not really. A lot of people find the idea of Pascal's Wager to be compelling (even if they've never heard the phrase) and simply claim to be christian just in case there is a hell waiting for them. Of course doing that would mean you can trick an all knowing God...

In the rare occasions where someone invites the idea of religious debate in person, I find the theist almost always concedes a lot ground once forced to think about what they really believe and why. There's usually a lot of stuttering, and silent pauses. This isn't because they're dumb, but because a lot of casual christians just haven't thought very hard about what they believe. It's kind of odd that you would claim to believe some kind of power could send you to hell for eternity but yet you don't bother reading up on it.

Personally if I actually believed that stuff then I would be obsessed with understanding every little bit of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality