Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 09:52 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,179,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
The straw man arguments just never end!
So why do you and the others that oppose me keep using them? Can't come up with a real, sound one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyker View Post
Hello Shiloh1.

Look on the bright side - at least Mr5150 and Pastor Vizio have responded to your posts. For some reason they no longer appear interested in talking to me...

Thanks.
Sorry...I have said this before...I honestly don't intentionally avoid any. But on the other hand, I don't feel like going back 10 pages to scan for someone that might have responded to my post. Or sometimes I simply get drawn back into real life and can't spend hours on here making sure your posts get answered.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:57 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
So why do you and the others that oppose me keep using them? Can't come up with a real, sound one?
Then point them out - come on show me.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:31 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times
Quote:
Sorry...I have said this before...I honestly don't intentionally avoid any. But on the other hand, I don't feel like going back 10 pages to scan for someone that might have responded to my post. Or sometimes I simply get drawn back into real life and can't spend hours on here making sure your posts get answered.
I'll help you, Viz.

A response to post #66 would assuage Hyker's hurt feelings - pretty sure.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:34 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,079,128 times
Default No Evidence Exists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
I searched through 20 pages of threads you've posted in and did not find any posts of yours presenting evidence of a creator.

If you realize there is no need to repost the same old answer over and over maybe it's not a very good answer.
You are a patient individual Mr Bruce

I was presented this book by a theist who cannot stand my lack of acknowledgement of the Christian faith. The title is Evidence that Demands a Verdict by Josh McDowell. The book is supposed to produce rational evidence and arguments as to why Jesus is God, the Bible is True and Christianity is the only way. What it is, though, is propaganda, as characterized by this quote: "Make the lie big, make it simple, keep saying it, and eventually they will believe it.--Adolf Hitler

The book is best rebuked here The Jury Is In: The Ruling on Josh McDowell's "Evidence"

The point is, there is NO evidence. Mythology does not count as factual evidence. Now as Campbell would say, it does holld validity as this quote from The Power of Myth
There is a Hindu saying, "None but a god can worship a god." You have to identify yourself in some measure with whatever spiritual principle your god represents to you in order to worship him properly and live according to his word.â€

McDowell says the same thing over and over, page after page. Repeating the same statement over and over is NOT proof, it is propaganda. In regards to your above post, I have seen no such proof on this forum from any theist. (Although Mystic does seem to have a healthier grasp on the abstract aspect of it than others)
There is no Proof of creation, or of a creator deity. None whatsoever.

As Bertrand Russell said.........
And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:47 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
These same type of issues were in another thread long ago where people confused abiogenesis with spontaneous generation and thought that abiogenesis was just a fairy tale. //www.city-data.com/forum/scien...formation.html

My responses and others are just repeats tackling the same misunderstandings and intentional misrepresentations.

To this question, 'Have you ever witnessed abiogenesis?' I answered:

See, this is the stupidity of your understanding and why you constantly misrepresent the issues.

You actually think, based on other statements as well, that abiogenesis is a one step deal that can be observed within a short time frame - utter foolishness - which is why the peanut butter analogy is even more stupid.

Here let me lay out a brief summary of the issues that revolve around the chemical change from geochemistry to biochemistry:

It is a long Process that included many steps. It is therefore wise to study it on a couple of different broad levels. These are:

A) The Origin of Biological Monomers - Already a Done Deal on many different levels and Environments.

B) The Origin of Biological Polymers - Some Preliminary Progress has been made.

C) The Chemical Evolution from Biomolocules to either a non-genetic reproductive cycle (Metabolic Pathway first hypothesis) or to genetic based reproductive cycles (which can include pre-cellular reproduction like RNA or pre-RNA molecules). This would constitute life. Some Preliminary Progress has been made on this with some great theories that still need to be tested.

Furthermore, at each stage Four steps need to be implemented:

1) Isolation, 2) Selection, 3) Concentration, and 4) Organization

Each one has been shown for the above 3 levels. It can happen by physical and chemical process pretty easily in global Earth environment with all the environmental cycles that take place every second - UNLIKE A PEANUT BUTTER JAR.

To the question 'Do you have any logical reason to believe it exist or is possible?' I responded:

Yeah it is called inference based upon the above scientific results, which is more than you have been able to muster.

I would also like to say, as other have, that I do not believe that abiogenesis is a FACT of Science -- yet. That is not what this thread was about but you came in here making broad absolute claims that it is impossible while offering nothing other than your beliefs as an alternative. So stop the misrepresentations and accusations.

I am very open to the possibility of some form of intelligent universe theory but to suggest that the specifics of the Biblical God must be the solution to your ignorance (that is - the gaps in the scientific knowledge at this point) is what is wishful thinking and a fairy tale.

And to the question 'Did you see mold spores in your peanut butter and think that's it?' I responded:

Now I think you can see, probably not, why a statement like - 'If abiogenesis were true all you would have to do is open a jar of peanut butter and see if life arose spontaneously' - How stupid.

See it is the same old canards. It's old and tired!

Old 07-11-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I'll help you, Viz.

A response to post #66 would assuage Hyker's hurt feelings - pretty sure.
wow...that's back there aways.

I said what I was thinking. I have perceived an arrogant and condescending attitude among many non-Christians toward Christians on this board. That was my statement, and I'll stand by it. If I'd have said much more, I may have upset the hard-working mods that are trying to keep the peace on this board, and presented a bad Christian witness.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:12 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,537,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
I searched through 20 pages of threads you've posted in and did not find any posts of yours presenting evidence of a creator.

If you realize there is no need to repost the same old answer over and over maybe it's not a very good answer.
//www.city-data.com/forum/18893762-post1.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/21699342-post1.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/chris...nosticism.html The third link's story was from 1972

These three took me all of 10 minutes to find. Are you sure you went thru 20 pages of posts?

Old 07-11-2014, 03:31 PM

618 posts, read 540,601 times
Quote:
wow...that's back there aways.

I said what I was thinking. I have perceived an arrogant and condescending attitude among many non-Christians toward Christians on this board. That was my statement, and I'll stand by it. If I'd have said much more, I may have upset the hard-working mods that are trying to keep the peace on this board, and presented a bad Christian witness.
Hello again Pastor Vizio.

It is unfortunate that you think such ugly things about me, but this does not really address the meat of the discussion, which is that you trust scientists with regard to the sun's composition (having minimal experience with the evidence) but reject their hypotheses regarding the beginning and development of life. Yet I suspect that you have very little experience with that evidence as well (e.g. college courses on evolutionary biology, genetics, comparative anatomy, etc. or significant reading on the same).

So will you admit that your acceptance of the sun's composition and rejection of abiogenesis/evolution is not actually based on the merits of the argument but rather how well a theory matches your belief in biblical literalism? If you would do that, I feel it would address the real issue (your beliefs) rather than the one often discussed (streangth of evidence). After all, if your rejection is not really based on streangth of evidence (which you have probably never reviewed in depth) then discussing the relative streangth of the evidence is pointless in any case.

A reminder that this is a paraphrasing of post #66 on page 7 (about halfway down).

Thanks.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyker View Post
Hello again Pastor Vizio.

It is unfortunate that you think such ugly things about me, but this does not really address the meat of the discussion, which is that you trust scientists with regard to the sun's composition (having minimal experience with the evidence) but reject their hypotheses regarding the beginning and development of life. Yet I suspect that you have very little experience with that evidence as well (e.g. college courses on evolutionary biology, genetics, comparative anatomy, etc. or significant reading on the same).

So will you admit that your acceptance of the sun's composition and rejection of abiogenesis/evolution is not actually based on the merits of the argument but rather how well a theory matches your belief in biblical literalism? If you would do that, I feel it would address the real issue (your beliefs) rather than the one often discussed (streangth of evidence). After all, if your rejection is not really based on streangth of evidence (which you have probably never reviewed in depth) then discussing the relative streangth of the evidence is pointless in any case.

A reminder that this is a paraphrasing of post #66 on page 7 (about halfway down).

Thanks.
Perhaps it's because we base our understanding of the sun's composition on actual science. The idea that life came from some chemicals that just happened to come together under the right circumstances however many billions of years ago to create life....just isn't based on science. Such a phenomenon has never been observed. We have no basis to believe in such a thing. There is zero evidence for such a thing. You might as well believe that life started in the dirty pool of a Motel 6 located in rural Arizona, for all the "evidence" you have.

Can't we at least have some semblance of honesty? It pure fantasy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality