U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 07:55 PM

255 posts, read 1,131,484 times

Advertisements

When the Bible says that we are to confess our sins to God and ask for His forgiveness, then He will forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. How then do Catholic folks have their sins forgiven when they confess them to a priest? The New Testament doesn't talk about priests standing in the place of God to forgive sins, so where does it come from?

Does that means that Catholics aren't saved? Yet I know some Catholic folks who truly are. I'm confused. Can anyone shed light on this for me?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 08:11 PM

Location: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
88 posts, read 273,046 times
Default Catholicism vs. the Bible

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegal View Post
When the Bible says that we are to confess our sins to God and ask for His forgiveness, then He will forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. How then do Catholic folks have their sins forgiven when they confess them to a priest?
They don't. Some of them just think that they do. The Bible is the most anti-Catholic book ever written.

Quote:
Does that means that Catholics aren't saved? Yet I know some Catholic folks who truly are. I'm confused ...
While it is true that there may be some Catholics that are truly saved (just as there may be some Muslims, Mormons, Hindus, Jehovah's Witnesses, etc.) they did not get saved as a result of following the doctrines of the Catholic (or Muslim, or Mormon, or Hindu, or Jehovah's Witnesses) "church." Such folks got save the same way any other Christian got saved. Their subsequent involvement in false religions and cults is distinct from their being saved (born again).

Salvation is not a function of any church or denomination. However, if one is involved with an organization where a false gospel is being preached, the odds are stacked against one ultimately being saved, but it does happen (one learns of the salvation from a source outside of the heretical group).

Old 12-18-2007, 08:46 PM

19,319 posts, read 23,001,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohemian Enigma View Post
The Bible is the most anti-Catholic book ever written.
LOL! Where do you think the Bible came from?

More thorough reply to the original question later. It's late where I am. Too tired. Catch you later.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:08 PM

32,844 posts, read 18,665,415 times
Quote:
I'm confused. Can anyone shed light on this for me?
Hello Aussiegal. A good way to learn about any faith is to bypass those negative posts and go to a source from that particular faith. There are many catholic websites where you can learn and even ask questions, but here is one link which may provide some insight into the catholic faith.

There is a FAQ with an answer to a question regarding Confession of Sin to a Priest:

http://www.ewtn.com/expert/expertfaqframe.asp, click on Catholic Doctrine and Catechetics, then click on Confession of Sin to a Priest.

http://www.ewtn.com/faith/teachings/index.htm

I'm sure there are many more sites like catholic answers, but I don't want to oveload you with links.

Pax

Last edited by _redbird_; 12-18-2007 at 09:25 PM..

Old 12-18-2007, 09:56 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,421,781 times
Default Ignorance Leaves You Protestant

"Confess [your] faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." - James 5:16
"And when he had said this, he breathed on [them], and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost: Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; [and] whose soever [sins] ye retain, they are retained." - John 20:22-23
"When Jesus saw their faith, he said unto the sick of the palsy, Son, thy sins be forgiven thee. But there were certain of the scribes sitting there, and reasoning in their hearts, Why doth this [man] thus speak blasphemies? who can forgive sins but God only?" - Mark 2:5-7

What the Catechism of the Catholic Church says on "Penance:"
986. "By Christ's will, the Church possesses the power to forgive the sins of the baptized and exercises it through bishops and priests normally in the Sacrament of Penance."

http://www.christusrex.org/www1/CDHN/healing.html

Moderator cut: snippet and link only please

Last edited by Alpha8207; 12-19-2007 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: original content please

Old 12-19-2007, 03:57 AM

6,429 posts, read 5,530,627 times
Quote:
When the Bible says that we are to confess our sins to God and ask for His forgiveness, then He will forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. How then do Catholic folks have their sins forgiven when they confess them to a priest? The New Testament doesn't talk about priests standing in the place of God to forgive sins, so where does it come from?

Does that means that Catholics aren't saved? Yet I know some Catholic folks who truly are. I'm confused. Can anyone shed light on this for me?
Anyone can pray for anyone. I pray for my wfe, my kids, for my church, for my pastor, ......... Who has the insight to God to say who or who isn't saved by how we pray? We are not judges in such matters... no one can claim such authority. No one... We can however point to scripture to see what the word of God says. We pray to God through the power of the Holy Spirit by the redemptive work of Jesus Christ. It is not a complicated process. There are many ways to pray... but most importantly pray sincerely and with the antcipation (faith) of having your prayers answered.

Where we can get off track is when we don't pray to God... and that doesn't mean were going to hell if we get it wrong. The Lords prayer is a good template. Jesus tells us not to pray like pagens, constant repetitive prayers. In the Lord's Prayer Jesus tells us "Father who art in heaven" the key word being father. How do/did you petition your father/dad? Prayer is the conduit for our relationship with our heavenly Father,

simply.... Jesus said, no one come to the Father except through me.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:52 AM

10,193 posts, read 25,602,997 times
Do come back, Mark S, as I was rather offended by that post, and was thinking of a kind response and I suspect you'll do it better than I might.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
LOL! Where do you think the Bible came from?

More thorough reply to the original question later. It's late where I am. Too tired. Catch you later.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:25 AM

4,439 posts, read 8,466,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
"Confess [your] faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." - James 5:16
"And when he had said this, he breathed on [them], and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost: Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; [and] whose soever [sins] ye retain, they are retained." - John 20:22-23
"When Jesus saw their faith, he said unto the sick of the palsy, Son, thy sins be forgiven thee. But there were certain of the scribes sitting there, and reasoning in their hearts, Why doth this [man] thus speak blasphemies? who can forgive sins but God only?" - Mark 2:5-7

What the Catechism of the Catholic Church says on "Penance:"
986. "By Christ's will, the Church possesses the power to forgive the sins of the baptized and exercises it through bishops and priests normally in the Sacrament of Penance."
Did you just call protestants ignorant?

Last edited by Alpha8207; 12-19-2007 at 09:46 AM..

Old 12-19-2007, 07:37 AM

19,319 posts, read 23,001,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Do come back, Mark S, as I was rather offended by that post, and was thinking of a kind response and I suspect you'll do it better than I might.
Actually, redbird4848 has already done a spectacular job of answering the original question. Probably better than I could have. I don't have much to add to it, although I will wholeheartedly second his very wise advice: If you want to find out what the Church teaches, then ask the Church. Don't get your information from someone who is obviously very anti-Catholic. Same holds true of other faiths, by the way. If you're curious about Buddhism, ask a Buddhist, not a Baptist.

In regard to the origin of the Bible, that's another topic, and I don't want to be guilty of de-railing the original topic. Besides, I think we've hashed that out in other discussions before.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:51 AM

10,193 posts, read 25,602,997 times
Yes, Mark S, you are correct, redbird4848 did give a good, extra good answer. I did give him some small, but appropriate reward.

Sometimes I do wonder where folks get their ideas and beliefs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality