Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 02:42 PM

135 posts, read 128,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Holy crap, you actually -believe- that?

So if someone is wrongfully accused of pedophilia and goes to prison while the -real- pedophile goes free, the real pedophile is now innocent because someone else is paying for his crime?

REALLY?!

You -truly- believe that someone can be punished for someone else's crime thus making the real criminal innocent?!? Is this your idea of justice? If it is, then it's no wonder you can give God all kinds of free passes for blatant evil acts and immorality.

W ... T ... F

And yet some Christians still wonder why I just can't become a member of that messed-up belief system.

As for being punished - damn, what a way to live. What a miserable way to live. Believing you deserve to be punished simply for having been born. Just one MORE reason why I won't touch Christianity with rubber gloves, a HAZMAT suit, and a 10 foot pole.
Like I mentioned, the silver lining to this is that people like Vizio are probably going to contribute to our society becomming more secular over time. The glass is half full right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 02:46 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Yet, when an airplane gets shot down, it seems like a violation of everything. It's a double whammy. You've put your trust in the mechanics, the engineers, the pilots, and everyone else in that chain of aviation safety. And, that chain has been living up to its promise to keep you safe. Everything is going along just fine. You're safe, everyone's doing their job, and then someone cheats. Someone fires a rocket and blows the airplane out of the sky. This wasn't part of the bargain. This wasn't part of the contract.
To make matters even worse, this was done in ERROR. The people who launched the missile apparently did not even intend to hit a civilian airline. They thought they were targeting a military plane flying 6 miles high.

It almost looks like they were playing some sick video game and applied it to real life. And now they deny they did it at all. No one is taking the blame for the attack. And after the bodies fell, they just laid in the fields for days.

Even God must be rolling his eyes watching all of this and seeing what humans are capable of.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:46 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,149,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
This event has really struck a nerve with me ever since it has been in the news. I cannot fathom the killing of hundreds of innocent civilians of different nationalities, including scores of children and infants, by a single "mistaken" missile. What a big oopsie.

Let's discuss this from whatever religious faith perspective (or the lack thereof) that you come from. Assuming that God exists, where is his justice in this?
Ecclesiastes 9:11, "... time and unexpected events overtake them all."

However, this horrific event could have been avoided. One would think airlines would steer clear of problem areas but to take a safer route, avoiding eastern Ukraine, would cost extra fuel which means extra money which means less profit...

It's also the times we live in..not open to any agreement, without self control, fierce, puffed up with pride having no natural affection... You see it around the world, Syria, Iraq, Pakistan, Ukraine, Gaza, Central America, Asia with China flexing it's new found military muscle.

2 Timothy 3:1-5, "But know this, that in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here. 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, 3 having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, 4 betrayers, headstrong, puffed up with pride, lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God, 5 having an appearance of godliness but proving false to its power; and from these turn away."

Anyway, saddened by these kind of events but not surprised.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:27 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
Ecclesiastes 9:11, "... time and unexpected events overtake them all."

However, this horrific event could have been avoided. One would think airlines would steer clear of problem areas but to take a safer route, avoiding eastern Ukraine, would cost extra fuel which means extra money which means less profit...

It's also the times we live in..not open to any agreement, without self control, fierce, puffed up with pride having no natural affection... You see it around the world, Syria, Iraq, Pakistan, Ukraine, Gaza, Central America, Asia with China flexing it's new found military muscle.

2 Timothy 3:1-5, "But know this, that in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here. 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, 3 having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, 4 betrayers, headstrong, puffed up with pride, lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God, 5 having an appearance of godliness but proving false to its power; and from these turn away."

Anyway, saddened by these kind of events but not surprised.
That kind of stuff is easier than pie to predict.

Why?

Because humanity has -always- been like that.

Though, yeah, I do love my pleasures. Why shouldn't I?

I suffer enough, so when I have the chance to enjoy myself, I seize it wholeheartedly. Loving a fictional Bronze Age mythological figure instead is, as I've said elsewhere, a complete and utter waste of time.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:15 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Holy crap, you actually -believe- that?

So if someone is wrongfully accused of pedophilia and goes to prison while the -real- pedophile goes free, the real pedophile is now innocent because someone else is paying for his crime?
I'm not suggesting that. But we do have prisons for a reason -- to punish people for their crimes.
Quote:

REALLY?!

You -truly- believe that someone can be punished for someone else's crime thus making the real criminal innocent?!? Is this your idea of justice? If it is, then it's no wonder you can give God all kinds of free passes for blatant evil acts and immorality.
W ... T ... F
I've never suggested anything like that. Our system does not allow for something like that.
Quote:
And yet some Christians still wonder why I just can't become a member of that messed-up belief system.

As for being punished - ****, what a way to live. What a miserable way to live. Believing you deserve to be punished simply for having been born. Just one MORE reason why I won't touch Christianity with rubber gloves, a HAZMAT suit, and a 10 foot pole.
I don't think that. I think you deserve to be punished because you've sinned against God.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:16 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Exactly. This flies in the face of "Will not the judge of all the earth judge justly?"

If a child gets eternal hell fire and damnation for stealing a piece of candy alongside Hitler, something is terribly awry.

Of course there is no eternal hellfire except in very poorly translated Bible. And the word "eternal" is never connected with "hell" or Gehenna.
I've never met a person whose only sin was to steal a piece of candy.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:54 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Exactly. This flies in the face of "Will not the judge of all the earth judge justly?"

If a child gets eternal hell fire and damnation for
Quote:
stealing a piece of candy alongside Hitler,
something is terribly awry.

Of course there is no eternal hellfire except in very poorly translated Bible. And the word "eternal" is never connected with "hell" or Gehenna.
Well, I'm not sure if the candy is alongside Hitler or if the thief is alongside Hitler, but I'm guessing that Godwin's law is affirmed by this post.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:31 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I think you deserve to be punished because you've sinned against God.
Well, there it is Shirina. This pastor didn't quote a Bible passage about what God says. HE thinks you deserve to be punished.

Personally I think that's WAY beyond what Christians are supposed to decide. But it comes as no surprise. I've met a lot of them who think God needs help.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 07-23-2014 at 02:24 PM..

Old 07-23-2014, 01:42 PM

19,995 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It almost looks like they were playing some sick video game and applied it to real life.
The same phenomenon has been observed when US soldiers control drones and attack targets hundreds or thousands of miles away. It has an unreality to it, like a video game. It effects decisions because the outcomes don't seem real. Success in this context looks to the operators like hitting the target. And a mistake is like in a video game where you just try again until you get it right. It suggests certain ... downsides to pushbutton warfare.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:51 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,277,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
The same phenomenon has been observed when US soldiers control drones and attack targets hundreds or thousands of miles away. It has an unreality to it, like a video game. It effects decisions because the outcomes don't seem real. Success in this context looks to the operators like hitting the target. And a mistake is like in a video game where you just try again until you get it right. It suggests certain ... downsides to pushbutton warfare.
I had the opportunity to visit a facility that built and tested unmanned drones years ago. That's exactly what it looked like. One large video game complete with joy sticks. The person operating it doesn't see the people. Only a large view screen with icons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality