Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 06:41 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,786,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Do you view the glass as half empty or half full?
I'm a product design engineer, so clearly the glass is 1.9 times larger than it needs to be (leaving a 10 % margin for manufacturing tolerances) It can clearly be cost reduced.

-NoCapo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 09:01 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,892,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Do you view the glass as half empty or half full?
The glass of my life is definitely much more full than I ever thought it would be when I was young, and I appreciate it very much every single day.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Nihilists don't really have that filter so life in all of its ugliness hits them full force, no mercy, no reprieve. They say that ignorance is bliss, and there's a reason for that. Often the less you know of or perceive the harsh reality of many of life's situations, the happier you'll be. Yet knowledge is power, and nihilists would rather have the power of truth than the bliss of ignorance.
That's a very good point, Shirina. I don't often agree with your opinions, but I gotta admit - you're pretty darn smart.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:10 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
It is true that a lot of the joy in life requires a fair amount of self-delusion, religion only being one such example. I think many people spend a lot of their time, when in thought, hoping for something and then convincing themselves that, someday, it will come to pass. We often have to deceive ourselves into thinking things are better than they are, clinging to the tiniest bit of positivity even if the chances of success are extraordinary small. Gamblers are acutely familiar with this.

Nihilists don't really have that filter so life in all of its ugliness hits them full force, no mercy, no reprieve. They say that ignorance is bliss, and there's a reason for that. Often the less you know of or perceive the harsh reality of many of life's situations, the happier you'll be. Yet knowledge is power, and nihilists would rather have the power of truth than the bliss of ignorance.
That is a fair representation of the realist's ethic. I would add, however, that not only are we obliged to deceive ourselves, we are WIRED that way. This is a scientific fact. We over-estimate benefits and under-estimate difficulties, by our very nature -- and people who fail to do this are labeled with the pathology known as "pessimism" or, clinically speaking, "depression".

Old 08-01-2014, 06:14 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
I'm a product design engineer, so clearly the glass is 1.9 times larger than it needs to be (leaving a 10 % margin for manufacturing tolerances) It can clearly be cost reduced.
I'm a software developer, so clearly the extra volume is redundant and inefficient. We can get by with half a glass and expand it if and when more fluid needs to be stored. I'd recommend an algorithm that increases the volume by 1.5 times the amount of excess fluid, depending on the instantiation overhead for the extra allocation and the probabilities of the amount of fluid actually increasing over time. I would also deallocate the extra space if unused for more than an hour.

I guess this makes me a "glass is always full" kind of person.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:49 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
That is a fair representation of the realist's ethic. I would add, however, that not only are we obliged to deceive ourselves, we are WIRED that way. This is a scientific fact. We over-estimate benefits and under-estimate difficulties, by our very nature -- and people who fail to do this are labeled with the pathology known as "pessimism" or, clinically speaking, "depression".
What you say is backed up by clinical testing. I'd give you the links to the studies if I could but they were in the peer reviewed journal Sociology.

At any rate, without going into huge detail, it was shown that people who had been diagnosed with depression, especially severe depression or greater, were able to "sniff" out realities that were kept purposefully hidden from the subjects. Those with 'normal' minds often deluded themselves into thinking those hidden realities were not there and instead blamed their shortcomings on themselves.

For instance, in a game similar to Simon that was rigged to buzz an incorrect answer no matter which color the subject picked, depressed people understood immediately that the game was rigged and would usually confront the research staff members about it. Normal people, on the other hand, had convinced themselves that they could beat the game if given just one more try ... just one more. Please? (Yes a lot of the normal people insisted, even begged, to be allowed sufficient time to win).

Old 08-01-2014, 06:52 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
That's a very good point, Shirina. I don't often agree with your opinions, but I gotta admit - you're pretty darn smart.
Heh, thanks.

Funny you should say that, though, because I told my mother just the other day that -sometimes- I wish I were stupid just so I wouldn't be so aware of certain things.

My mother used to help mentally disabled and institutionalized people, and I still remember fully grown adults happily coloring away like a child, oblivious to religion, politics, money, home ownership, and all of the rest of it. Their lives were demarked by a box of crayons and loads of construction paper. That's all they really cared about ... and sometimes I find that obliviousness somewhat enviable. A life-long childhood? If not for the shaky conditions and cost of being institutionalized, maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

But nah, here I am. Guess I have to make do.

Old 08-03-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paarsurrey View Post
All human beings are equally entitled to live in this land as per the scheme of things designed by Him.
How do we know what He designed?

Maybe he designed for me to live in Hampton Palace.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:15 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
This Land Is Mine

G-d created the Universe and the life in it. The land is owned by Him; we temporarily reside in it. All human beings are equally entitled to live in this land as per the scheme of things designed by Him.
Nobody is chosen one here except the righteous.

Subject to amendment with discussion.

How would you like to amend the above sentence; please give your reasonable arguments and wisdom?

Regards
Your making conclusions without presenting any evidence.

An anthropomorphic sentient omnipotent entity created the universe? Your going to have to present a lot of factual scientific evidence to make that one fly.

Therefore, the rest of your premise is irrelevant.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:46 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Then please amend the sentence I wrote with your proofs and evidences to validate your viewpoint.

Regards
I saw no "proofs or evidences to validate" YOUR viewpoint. Why should others bother doing so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality