Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2014, 10:08 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I've never heard of a pastor demanding that someone be prayed for whether they like it or not! Your distortion of religion is so far removed from reality. From my perspective, it's the OP who is acting pissed off over something that amounts to just mere words in his world. What's next, demanding that the hospital remove the nativity scene at Christmas? Now if the pastor asked the OP to join hands and pray aloud with him then yes, I can see where that would be crossing the line and uncomfortable.
If the hospital in any way, shape or form is funded by taxpayers money, absolutely the nativity scene is not appropriate. Unless, of course, it will also display the menorrah, the crescent moon for ramadan, prayer flags for Vesak, a yule log to celebrate Thor's existence or a celebration of Mazda's birthday. Of course, Samhain is already celebrated by most public institutions, so we are good to go on that most important of Wicca holidays.

After all, what is good for the goose is good for the gander, right?

If the hospital is fully privately funded, it is up to them.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:29 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
If the hospital in any way, shape or form is funded by taxpayers money, absolutely the nativity scene is not appropriate. Unless, of course, it will also display the menorrah, the crescent moon for ramadan, prayer flags for Vesak, a yule log to celebrate Thor's existence or a celebration of Mazda's birthday. Of course, Samhain is already celebrated by most public institutions, so we are good to go on that most important of Wicca holidays.

After all, what is good for the goose is good for the gander, right?

If the hospital is fully privately funded, it is up to them.
Are you into Wicca? I only ask because you pointed it out in another thread and that could explain some of your feelings or thoughts.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:30 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Are you into Wicca? I only ask because you pointed it out in another thread and that could explain some of your feelings or thoughts.
Are you kidding me?

It's as superstitious as Christianity. Makes about as much sense to.

Now why did you not ask about the God Mazda? I mentioned him to.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:44 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,052 times
Quote:
Are you kidding me?

It's as superstitious as Christianity. Makes about as much sense to.

Now why did you not ask about the God Mazda? I mentioned him to.
Because I have never heard of Mazda, except the type of car. Im not interested in learning about him/her/it.

Old 08-02-2014, 03:32 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Because I have never heard of Mazda, except the type of car.Im not interested in learning about him/her/it.
Let us know the next time you're sick and incapacitated. Well send someone over anyway.

Old 08-02-2014, 04:24 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times
Quote:
Because I have never heard of Mazda, except the type of car. Im not interested in learning about him/her/it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Let us know the next time you're sick and incapacitated. Well send someone over anyway.
I'm sure Ohky and the other Christians in this thread who think Cupper was being rude and selfish by saying no to a pastor, wouldn't themselves be so rude and selfish to say no to a Zoroastrian priest of Ahura-Mazda saying incantations over him while they are gravely ill and incapacitated in a hospital bed. This is an opportunity for them to learn about the one true God Ahura-Mazda - and the priest's incantations may save their souls. If they don't believe in Ahura-Mazda, what harm would it do them anyway? It would be selfish to say no wouldn't it?

Last edited by Ceist; 08-02-2014 at 04:35 AM..

Old 08-02-2014, 05:30 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
How often do we see on social media when someone is sick or a family member is, the phrase, "I'll pray for you"?

Don't ever say that to me. It means you want to have a conversation with yourself, and frankly, that does me no good. I don't care if you think some sky fairy is listening, it does nothing, nothing for me. If I am not under medical care, get me some. If I am, do something that will help me or my family, but don't give lip service to whoever you think might be holy.

I was in the hospital for 3.5 months some years ago. My ex was religious, and she brought her pastor in. He asked if he could pray for me... I said, "No". My ex was furious at me, telling me her pastor said he had never been told no, and felt insulted.

Tough. I felt insulted that he would presume I wanted some discussion with in his mind that he thought would help. I'm not a hypocrite, and those that presume they are doing me some good, aren't. They are imagining that their utterances do something; they don't.

So the next time you get an urge to say, "I'll pray for you", don't. Instead, ask what you can do to help that individual or his/her family. If it makes him feel good, he/she will ask you to pray for them. You both can revel in your fantasies, but don't presume.

Do. Not.Pray.For.Me.

Do something useful instead.

I mostly agree with you but I do think some people mean you will be in their thoughts as in "I feel badly for your situation and will be thinking of you a lot." That just shows they like you enough to care about your wellbeing. That is all some people have to offer.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The self-centered ungraciousness exhibited by this attitude exceeds the normal bounds of civility and reveals a complete lack of consideration for others. Such obsessive focus on "what's in it for me" seems symptomatic of significant ego problems, IMO.
"Lack of consideration for others"???? If I have cancer and I ask someone NOT to pray for me and they do it anyway who is lacking consideration for who?

Old 08-02-2014, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Protest all you want. Can't stop someone from praying for you if they want to.

That seems awfully argumentative. One of my cousins was battling cancer. He specifically asked his sister and brother-in-law NOT to include him on the prayer list at church because he didn't believe in God and didn't want everyone to know his health issues.

They did it anyway.

I think that is rude and presumptuous. Part of most religions is love and an outcropping of that is respect. You should have enough respect for a loved one to honor their wishes.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
People don't always do what they should. Being in a hospital environment, out of one's comfort zone, dealing with being sick, or worrying about someone who is sick, doesn't always bring out the best in people. But when at least one person can rise above that, it's helpful, don't you think?

Why should the sick and recovering husband "rise above" his own clearly held nonbeliefs while the healthy, functioning wife gets a free pass?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality