Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 01:47 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,368,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I work with a few religious freaks and just the other day a woman who sits next to me was complaining about a bad migraine headache. I see her go into her desk and take 2 advils. About an hour later I asked her how she's feeling. She replied...."Much better. God is great". I told her "If you credit god for taking away your headache then why did you feel the need to take 2 advils? Of course I got a blank stare.
I guess God took those two advils.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 02:02 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
but isn't that exactly what it is, an opinion? it's one person's opinion over another and who's to say who is right and who isn't? my opinion is, just because it's written in the book doesn't mean it's right because there can be many different interpretations as to what has been written. So again, it's just one person's opinion.
Opinions can be rather harmful if enough people share it.

The idea that a god favors one individual over another is the spark that can turn into a raging inferno of prejudice and abuse if allowed to propogate. It's happened before and for that very reason even in America. Once we begin thinking that God is granting boons and favors to some folks - making them successful and prosperous and healthy - why, it must mean that people who are poor, sick, and alone must be sinful and are being punished!

Old 08-05-2014, 02:12 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
but isn't that exactly what it is, an opinion? it's one person's opinion over another and who's to say who is right and who isn't? my opinion is, just because it's written in the book doesn't mean it's right because there can be many different interpretations as to what has been written. So again, it's just one person's opinion.
Mordant is right. It's not an opinion to a fundamentalist. It's a fact. The scary part is when they start deciding those "facts" must be the basis for how you and I and everyone else must live. Which is, obviously, something your People learned shortly after the large wooden boats started arriving from the other side of the Atlantic.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:39 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Mordant is right. It's not an opinion to a fundamentalist. It's a fact. The scary part is when they start deciding those "facts" must be the basis for how you and I and everyone else must live. Which is, obviously, something your People learned shortly after the large wooden boats started arriving from the other side of the Atlantic.
That's no different than the progressive that tells us that they have a better way of living, and that it's not fact but is instead allegory. And that their morality is better than the fundamentalists. His people have been hurt by a lot of progressives that decided their way was best.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:43 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
His people have been hurt by a lot of progressives that decided their way was best.
Who are "his people"?

Old 08-05-2014, 02:44 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
It seems like people like to equate good things with god and bad things with the devil.

Or sometimes people will equate bad things with "god is testing me"

Where does this sort of thinking come from?
I believe it actually stems from centuries of man's attempt to both understand and feel in control of his environment

Old 08-05-2014, 02:47 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I would say yes, God (or luck or Divine Providence) gave you that raise.

I have a problem with people of wealth who state, "I earned this money by my own hard work and talent, so why should I share it with anyone else?" The implication is that those who are poor are just lazy or undeserving.

I would say your wealth came from God, not as a blessing because he likes you better, but as an opportunity. What will you do with your raise?
I would put it another way...

Using his God-given gifts and talents he earned the raise by his efforts and hard work

Old 08-05-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Who are "his people"?
The same people you referred to that were hurt when the wooden boats showed up.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:52 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
That's no different than the progressive that tells us that they have a better way of living, and that it's not fact but is instead allegory. And that their morality is better than the fundamentalists. His people have been hurt by a lot of progressives that decided their way was best.
If you mean those who adhere to a more progressive version of religion, then you're wrong - because they, like atheists, desire freedom. We're not interested in stripping people of their choices so long as we're not giving conservatives the choice of whether or not to oppress others and take away their freedoms. That's one choice we won't give.

If you mean progressive in a political sense, well, this is the wrong forum for that kind of discussion. But I will say one thing:

Every industrialized nation has universal health care. In fact most developing nations have it, as well.

Except America.

Yeah, just us, good ol' Christian America. Because the industrial empires built on the selling of insurance is too big to simply chuck into the trash. So ... here we are with insurace costs sucking the life out of our economy and still giving limited coverage ($5,000 deductables sure are nice to screw over the poor).

And that's the doing of conservatives. Mmhmm ... always worried about the money. Most of them live in the Bible Belt, too. But instead of seeing a swathe across America that should represent the penultimate expression of compassion, altruism, and empathy, we instead have a swathe that represents some of the most vile, selfish, greedy, uncaring, and sociopathic beliefs imagineable.

And I'll just leave it go at that.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
If you mean those who adhere to a more progressive version of religion, then you're wrong - because they, like atheists, desire freedom. We're not interested in stripping people of their choices so long as we're not giving conservatives the choice of whether or not to oppress others and take away their freedoms. That's one choice we won't give.
Except for the fact that they're quite fundamentalist in their views that we dare not let our views of religion affect them.
Quote:
If you mean progressive in a political sense, well, this is the wrong forum for that kind of discussion. But I will say one thing:

Every industrialized nation has universal health care. In fact most developing nations have it, as well.

Except America.
Yeah, just us, good ol' Christian America. Because the industrial empires built on the selling of insurance is too big to simply chuck into the trash. So ... here we are with insurace costs sucking the life out of our economy and still giving limited coverage ($5,000 deductables sure are nice to screw over the poor).

And that's the doing of conservatives. Mmhmm ... always worried about the money. Most of them live in the Bible Belt, too. But instead of seeing a swathe across America that should represent the penultimate expression of compassion, altruism, and empathy, we instead have a swathe that represents some of the most vile, selfish, greedy, uncaring, and sociopathic beliefs imagineable.

And I'll just leave it go at that.

I don't care to discuss politics on this board. That wasn't my point and I won't get into that here. I was referring to progressive or liberal theologians that think that everyone but them is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality