Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 01:54 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Because you can see his face with a strainer on. You can't with a face -cover. Hair is a bit more arguable, but push the ol' tin lid back to reveal the Hobbit -curls. The wrap -around face -cloth and you have to guess at what the hair is like.

On the other hand, if the people in class or work remove their religious hats and trinkets, then the spoofers should not object to removing strainer, pirate hat or, as I have taken to wearing at the Proms, a goldfish bowl (1) with a rat -trap inside, just as statement of faith in the randomness of factors.

(1) plastic of course, not glass. I may be whacky but I'm not daft.
I believe I had to take off my hat for my picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 02:11 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,509,244 times
http://moritzlaw.osu.edu/electionlaw...ments/LWVJ.pdf

what I found. Of course this only pertains to the U.S.

Last edited by baystater; 08-15-2014 at 02:35 PM..

Old 08-16-2014, 11:52 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Frankly, if someone want to be photographed for an ID with a colander on their head, as long as it doesn't disguise him, let him.

There is no law against being a freaking idiot. Or an immature moron. Or a guy who thinks he is clever and sticking it to the man because he has a kitchen tool on his head. Or a guy who makes atheists look like fools.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:41 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I believe I had to take off my hat for my picture.
They are getting a bit fussy now. For the first time, I had to take off my specs for mine. so I goggled at the screen trying to see whether I was fitting in the oval...and the photo looked like a pervert waiting for the plots to arrest him. Not that it matters. They stuck some translucent plastic over it so it could be Churchill's photo under there for all you can tell.

Old 08-16-2014, 01:41 PM

20,001 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Lame. But if a muslim woman needs to remove her headcovering, I don't see why this nut should be allowed to wear his.
How is this more nutty than a burka or a habit or a clerical collar? I see them all on equal footing.

Old 08-16-2014, 08:13 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
How is this more nutty than a burka or a habit or a clerical collar? I see them all on equal footing.
Really? You don't see the difference between earnest, if asinine religious affectations and the mockery thereof?

Old 08-16-2014, 10:31 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Really? You don't see the difference between earnest, if asinine religious affectations and the mockery thereof?
Define earnest religions? Who is to judge that and what standards should be used to do that judging?

Old 08-16-2014, 10:34 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Define earnest religions? Who is to judge that and what standards should be used to do that judging?
Oh come on Cupper . . . common sense. there is no big problem discerning mockery from genuineness. This is so like the legalistic mindset perpetrated by the legal profession that has so corrupted normal human discourse.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:01 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Oh come on Cupper . . . common sense. there is no big problem discerning mockery from genuineness. This is so like the legalistic mindset perpetrated by the legal profession that has so corrupted normal human discourse.
Muslim women (some) feel the need to wear a hijab, shayla or a niqab. Male Sikhs wear a kirpan and often a turban. Hasidic Jews wear a shtreimlech. I well remember nuns at school wearing wimples as head gear. Some priests/bishops/cardinals wear a biretta. Hutterite women wear head scarves always. Many Mennonite women wear head caps.

The Czech government has accepted that not allowing a Pastafarian to wear a colander as head gear is contrary to their religious freedom laws in 2013.

Do I think Pastafarians are bat scat crazy? Yup. But I think an intense believe in any invisible omnipotent and anthropomorphic entity is bat scat crazy. Just because the bat scat craziness has been accepted for hundreds or thousands of years does not make it any less crazy. And just because there are millions of adherents to that bat scat craziness makes it no more legitimate than that proposed by the Pastas.

Are we going to discriminate against the Druids, the Wiccans, Neopagans or any other group because it is "not genuine". Where does it stop?

Old 08-16-2014, 11:17 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Muslim women (some) feel the need to wear a hijab, shayla or a niqab. Male Sikhs wear a kirpan and often a turban. Hasidic Jews wear a shtreimlech. I well remember nuns at school wearing wimples as head gear. Some priests/bishops/cardinals wear a biretta. Hutterite women wear head scarves always. Many Mennonite women wear head caps.
The Czech government has accepted that not allowing a Pastafarian to wear a colander as head gear is contrary to their religious freedom laws in 2013.
Do I think Pastafarians are bat scat crazy? Yup. But I think an intense believe in any invisible omnipotent and anthropomorphic entity is bat scat crazy. Just because the bat scat craziness has been accepted for hundreds or thousands of years does not make it any less crazy. And just because there are millions of adherents to that bat scat craziness makes it no more legitimate than that proposed by the Pastas.
Are we going to discriminate against the Druids, the Wiccans, Neopagans or any other group because it is "not genuine". Where does it stop?
Don't be disingenuous, cupper. This post is total BS. There is no way on earth that a..hole was a sincere believer in the FSM . . . and you know it!! Stop pretending it is remotely comparable to genuine religious expression. Your credibility rides on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality