Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2014, 06:31 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You stated it was. You never explained why. You're begging the question and assuming that your system of morality is better...but you've never made the case.
Similarly, you have not made your case, nor have you even given us a reason to think your morality might be worthwhile.

Cupper said something like if it feels good, do it, as long as you don't harm anybody.

Rather than playing empty word games, why don't you either state your view of morality, or give us a reason why cupper's definition is wrong.

At the moment, you are doing neither.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 08:11 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
On our last go-round it was made clear that neither of us possesses any understanding of the Bible beyond a layman's level - by your own admission. I can provide contextual quotes from you if need be. So your effort here to present yourself as some sort of Bible expert falls flat. While it may excite and impress your friends in the echo chamber, in truth, we both know better - don't we?

We also came to the understanding that you really don't understand what Christianity actually is nor are you apparently interested in hearing my take on what Christianity is.

After a bit of discussion, it soon became apparent to me that your grasp of theology and Biblical understanding, what shall I say... seems to be rather wanting. Which, being that my level is layman's at best, yours is apparently worse. That's not good news for you.

So, when you undertake to criticize the Bible and/or Christianity you are essentially attacking something that you actually know very little about. In essence, you're flying blind.

Also, according to you, your knowledge of history is extensive in terms of earned credentials. You have my sincere congratulations. Still, it appears to me that there's been a good deal of exposure to a sort of modernized politicized indoctrinated view either gained from others or formed on your own with a view towards bolstering your own political views. In all honesty, it appears to me that your 'religion' is actually politics and your political view is informing both your theology and your general philosophical worldview. That would explain why you seem to delight in and be fixated by composing these wordy politicized axe grinding posts.

That said, and being that you delight in axe grinding, my suggestion would be for you to hang out in the political forums with the rest of the axe grinders. I hope this advice proves helpful in some way ;-)
You claim to have a sound layman's grasp of scripture and yet you completely failed to address a single point Shirina made.

In any case, it's a circular argument that someone who doesn't "understand" the Bible or Christianity to some arbitrary level you consider sufficient, can't critique on logical grounds. And as your response proves, having an "understanding" or theological matters does not equip you to respond on logical grounds, either.

Besides ... I strongly suspect that you would define this "understanding" you speak of as "agreeing with your particular dogma".

Old 08-17-2014, 08:17 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
On our last go-round it was made clear that neither of us possesses any understanding of the Bible beyond a layman's level - by your own admission. I can provide contextual quotes from you if need be. So your effort here to present yourself as some sort of Bible expert falls flat. While it may excite and impress your friends in the echo chamber, in truth, we both know better - don't we?

We also came to the understanding that you really don't understand what Christianity actually is nor are you apparently interested in hearing my take on what Christianity is.

After a bit of discussion, it soon became apparent to me that your grasp of theology and Biblical understanding, what shall I say... seems to be rather wanting. Which, being that my level is layman's at best, yours is apparently worse. That's not good news for you.

So, when you undertake to criticize the Bible and/or Christianity you are essentially attacking something that you actually know very little about. In essence, you're flying blind.

Also, according to you, your knowledge of history is extensive in terms of earned credentials. You have my sincere congratulations. Still, it appears to me that there's been a good deal of exposure to a sort of modernized politicized indoctrinated view either gained from others or formed on your own with a view towards bolstering your own political views. In all honesty, it appears to me that your 'religion' is actually politics and your political view is informing both your theology and your general philosophical worldview. That would explain why you seem to delight in and be fixated by composing these wordy politicized axe grinding posts.

That said, and being that you delight in axe grinding, my suggestion would be for you to hang out in the political forums with the rest of the axe grinders. I hope this advice proves helpful in some way ;-)
As that noted philosopher, Bugs Bunny, once opined:

"What a maroon!"

Old 08-17-2014, 08:21 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Similarly, you have not made your case, nor have you even given us a reason to think your morality might be worthwhile.

Cupper said something like if it feels good, do it, as long as you don't harm anybody.

Rather than playing empty word games, why don't you either state your view of morality, or give us a reason why cupper's definition is wrong.

At the moment, you are doing neither.
Vizio has never made his case.

Nor have jimmie or others of their ilk.

They duck, dodge and weave and then toss out some inane question they think will throw those atheist/questioner dogs off the track.

And then congratulate themselves for "winning."

When they're not even in the game.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:30 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
You stated it was. You never explained why. You're begging the question and assuming that your system of morality is better...but you've never made the case.
It is so simple:
If it feels good, do it.

If it harms others or yourself, don't.

And that covers about everything one needs to consider about being moral or living within a society.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
It's an honest question. How do you know? Do you realize that Isaac carried the wood for the sacrifice? He very likely knew what was coming. The text doesn't say he was terrified. You're inserting your own opinion.
Vizio, quit playing cute.

If your bound, on an sacrificial alter, which Isaac knew it was, and have wood surrounding you ready to burn you, your going to be in a good mood?

Really, Vizio?

Old 08-18-2014, 07:54 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
As that noted philosopher, Bugs Bunny, once opined:

"What a maroon!"
His 'argument' fell over with a false premise before he even started. The rest is just:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsYSUEXmA9E

Old 08-18-2014, 08:37 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
It is so simple:
If it feels good, do it.

And that covers about everything one needs to consider about being moral or living within a society.
And what if you are oblivious to the harm that you are causing? For example, a lot of people enjoy gossiping completely unaware that this gossip could cause feelings of low self-esteem or depression in the target of the gossip. In this case, your simple standard fails.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
And what if you are oblivious to the harm that you are causing? For example, a lot of people enjoy gossiping completely unaware that this gossip could cause feelings of low self-esteem or depression in the target of the gossip. In this case, your simple standard fails.
They may be oblivious, however, once pointed out what the issue is, the construct I proposed would certainly apply.

Look at it from the perspective of some of the ten commandments.

"Thou shalt not steal"

If a person was not to know this, how could they know they are doing wrong. Typical example is a two year old grabbing a playmate's toy, shouting, "Mine!". Parents teach that child it is wrong to just take without asking (although with two year olds that teaching moment can take months it seems).

Same procedure with your example. Once a person learns that their behavior harms others, they can alter it.

The construct is valid as presented:

If it feels good, do it.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:00 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
Thankfully the USA is a democracy, not a theocracy. Christains have not cornered the market on values. You can have values without the fear god's wrath. You don't need to constantly honor, and praise a diety, or worry about heaven or hell, in order to have values. If you can't be good without god, you have a problem.

Last edited by ElizaTeal; 08-18-2014 at 12:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality