Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2014, 02:16 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
You don't have to!

I gave you reasons already - go back and re-read my posts.
Other than it's your opinion? Or that society just accepts it? Or the masses accept it? If we go by that system, then slavery would still be around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That is easy. IF your God says something is moral . . . it is moral. If your God does something . . . it is moral. If your God commands something . . . it is moral. There are no standards . . . just your God's whim. There are no absolutes . . . just your God's whim. Isn't that about it, Vizio???
Actually...yes, that's correct. But now try to understand the context in which he has spoken. Your characterization of him as barbaric suggests you have no clue what God is actually like.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:21 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Other than it's your opinion? Or that society just accepts it? Or the masses accept it? If we go by that system, then slavery would still be around.
Nope those are not my answers -Straw Man. I suggest you actually read my posts.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
That means your ideas about morality as well whether or not they are original with you or the Israelites. Otherwise, demonstrate that your God created a system of morality - better yet first demonstrate that he even exists - I'll be waiting.
I'm sorry. Could you rephrase this?
Quote:

If so then your God morality is under the same burden.
God created the universe. He defines what is moral and what is not. It's up to him. His morality is above any morality that we come up with the same way that a CEO of a company gets to tell 2 guys in the mail room what to do.
Quote:
I have already explained how we judge others to you - go re-read my posts.

Why don't you now answer my question? Again you just ignore and then repeat.

Here is the question again: Do you believe that morality is subjective or objective?
[/quote]
I already did answer the question. Go re-read my posts.

But I'll repeat it again. Any man-made system is subjective -- it's only based on the opinion of man. There is such a thing as objective, and absolute -- it's what God has declared. It's based on his unchanging nature.
[quote]
Quote:
Whatever you are arguing for is your subjective view. Hello! So if you argue for objective moral values that are grounded in YHWH then that is YOUR SUBJECTIVE view on morality. And until you demonstrate that this YHWH exist and that he has these morals then you have nothing but your subjective view that there is objective morality grounded in YHWH.
It's what YHWH has declared to be good. It's what he has written on our hearts. We all know that certain things are wrong. We can choose to suppress that knowledge...but it's still true.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:23 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
And why is it right?
Because you disagree is evidence enough for most.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:23 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That is easy. IF your God says something is moral . . . it is moral. If your God does something . . . it is moral. If your God commands something . . . it is moral. There are no standards . . . just your God's whim. There are no absolutes . . . just your God's whim. Isn't that about it, Vizio???
Quote:
Actually...yes, that's correct.
So what about that is SUBJECTIVE AND NOT REMOTELY OBJECTIVE OR ABSOLUTE do you not understand?????
Quote:
But now try to understand the context in which he has spoken. Your characterization of him as barbaric suggests you have no clue what God is actually like.
Whatever you THINK He is like . . . the morality based on His whim is neither objective nor absolute. It is subjective and largely based on what YOU think is His whim in any given circumstance.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:29 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
It's what YHWH has declared to be good. It's what he has written on our hearts. We all know that certain things are wrong. We can choose to suppress that knowledge...but it's still true.
I am sorry but that is just your subjective opinion. As you would say - how do you know that? And as such it is no more valid than anyone else's opinion.

This of course will go right over your head.

Furthermore, if it is written in our hearts (I can explain that metaphor by evolutionary biology) then it is not objective. Also if we all know things that are wrong then I don't need God or a book (both of which can also be suppressed by me) to tell me what is wrong.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:31 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:

The Nazi's would be happy to learn you believe they had their morality written in their hearts by God. I'm not sure that's what God had in mind but heck, I've never claimed to know God's mind. You, however, have claimed to know how He thinks. Many people who say they know how God thinks start a new religion. You could call it Vizioism.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
The Nazi's would be happy to learn you believe they had their morality written in their hearts by God. I'm not sure that's what God had in mind but heck, I've never claimed to know God's mind. You, however, have claimed to know how He thinks. Many people who say they know how God thinks start a new religion. You could call it Vizioism.
They, of course, suppressed it and did their own thing. That's why they can be judged. God is apparent in his creation, and "although they knew God, they did not honor him or give thanks to him, but became futile in their thinking..."

It's the same for you, me, everyone. We know who God is, and what he expects of us. We prefer to go our own way though.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
I am sorry but that is just your subjective opinion. As you would say - how do you know that? And as such it is no more valid than anyone else's opinion.

This of course will go right over your head.

Furthermore, if it is written in our hearts (I can explain that metaphor by evolutionary biology) then it is not objective. Also if we all know things that are wrong then I don't need God or a book (both of which can also be suppressed by me) to tell me what is wrong.
You can choose to believe me or not. If you don't...you're still left without an objective morality and you're like the blind leading the blind. No one can say what is moral without a moral absolute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality