Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2014, 12:29 AM

348 posts, read 294,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
But since it's just your personal opinion, it's irrelevant.

Except that he's not subject to you or your opinions.

But he's not a human being, and is above human beings. Even more...he created human beings and the rest of the universe. So again, your opinion is just that--an opinion. You don't like the idea of God. But that's not relevant.
Well I think the post deserve's a proper reply so will make a note tommorow, will do some thinking on it plus I have a few things to do at this late hour and would like some free space for the interesting points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 02:14 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,324,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Vizio and his one-note song.
I can name that tune in one note. It's an Ode to a Christian Fundamentalist.

Wooo! I just won $100,000!!!

Quote:
There is no "there" there.
Heh heh, I'll always attribute that quote to one of my favorite astronomers, Dr. Andrea Ghez, who described black holes with those same words in that bubbly way of hers.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:47 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Bravo, Shirina! Bravo! I do love your posts. Unfortunately it will have NO affect whatsoever on the dogmatic and unreasoning credulity of Vizio and his one-note song. There is no "there" there.
Why would it? All she did was rant. She did nothing to actually answer the points that I've been bringing up--that when it comes to morality it's just the atheists' opinion that they have. Nothing more. So the idea of judging anyone, much less God, is ridiculous.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:06 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Oh hi, Viz.

Dew was kind enough to do as you requested and re-posted the question for you - #1477.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Here ya go Viz. You told Trout he had no basis for judging anyone.

You judged the Nazis. Are you special?
I don't judge the Nazis. I apply the standards of God's word to them. God has declared murder to be wrong.

But again....the fact remains that you, or Trout, have no means by which to declare anything evil other than your own opinion. Unfortunately, if people disagree with you, it means nothing.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:45 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
I don't judge the Nazis. I apply the standards of God's word to them. God has declared murder to be wrong.

But again....the fact remains that you, or Trout, have no means by which to declare anything evil other than your own opinion. Unfortunately, if people disagree with you, it means nothing.
The bold is absolutely true.

Old 10-11-2014, 12:25 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:

Oh. So you ARE special. You apply the standards of God's word to say the Nazis were wrong. Because they murdered.

While my opinion is worthless. Even though I judge the Nazis to be evil, cruel and despicable. And, hold on to your podium, preacher, I judge them for not only murder but for the fact they decided that Jews, gypsies and homosexuals should be rounded up simply for being Jews, gypsies and homosexuals. Medical experiments. Families separated and put into places like Dachau. POW camps filled with American soldiers. (It wasn't exactly Hogan's Heroes for those men.) It's a pretty long list.

But, YOU'VE declared my opinion meaningless. Your qualifications for declaring that are what, exactly? Pastor school?

p.s. The Nazis declared the opinions of the Jews and the gypsies and the homosexuals (who all had the opinion they should live and the Nazis were...wait for it....wrong) to be meaningless as well. So you're not the first person who's done that.

Old 10-11-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Oh. So you ARE special. You apply the standards of God's word to say the Nazis were wrong. Because they murdered.

While my opinion is worthless. Even though I judge the Nazis to be evil, cruel and despicable. And, hold on to your podium, preacher, I judge them for not only murder but for the fact they decided that Jews, gypsies and homosexuals should be rounded up simply for being Jews, gypsies and homosexuals. Medical experiments. Families separated and put into places like Dachau. POW camps filled with American soldiers. (It wasn't exactly Hogan's Heroes for those men.) It's a pretty long list.
Did you not catch the difference? I don't base it on my opinion. You do. You have your opinion, and you are very correct in that the Nazis were wrong...but they are not wrong BASED ON your opinion.
Quote:
But, YOU'VE declared my opinion meaningless. Your qualifications for declaring that are what, exactly? Pastor school?
My opinion is also meaningless. If I tell you my opinion, you may be able to take that and $5 and get a cup of coffee.
Quote:
p.s. The Nazis declared the opinions of the Jews and the gypsies and the homosexuals (who all had the opinion they should live and the Nazis were...wait for it....wrong) to be meaningless as well. So you're not the first person who's done that.
OK? And again....what makes your opinion of them the basis to judge them?

Old 10-11-2014, 01:32 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
And again....what makes your opinion of them the basis to judge them?
Life experience. And seeing Dachau.

I'm no longer young and I've seen a hell of a lot. Most people have experiences that teach them. Most of us learn from what we see around us. Some of us are exposed to cultures that don't have Judeo-Christian values.... or morality.... or the Bible.... and learn from them.

You, on the other hand, apparently need a book to tell you about morality. Then you, here's the handy part, use that book as your reason to declare yourself..... right! About everything that relates to that book. Your opinion is right. Your interpretation is right.

(Never mind that great minds have been disagreeing over just what that book says for centuries..... some guy in flyover country.... knows. You should charge more.)

Last edited by DewDropInn; 10-11-2014 at 02:29 PM..

Old 10-11-2014, 01:57 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Did you not catch the difference? I don't base it on my opinion. You do. You have your opinion, and you are very correct in that the Nazis were wrong...but they are not wrong BASED ON your opinion.

My opinion is also meaningless. If I tell you my opinion, you may be able to take that and $5 and get a cup of coffee. ?
Ah, but yes you are basing it on your opinion.
It is only your opinion that there is a god that makes moral judgments that transcend those made by humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality