Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 10:46 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,945,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Honor thy father and mother. What if they are sadistic pedophiles who enjoy eating human flesh from living victims? The bible god demands that these people be honored, my superior sense of morality says otherwise

This commandment has nothing to do with honoring pedophilia (or any immoral behavior for that matter). It has to do with honoring the authority of one's parents. God would never ask that people honor pedophilia itself. It should be obvious why this matters. A child does not have the practical life experience to take authority over their parents. How do real world families work when the kids 'run the show' as it goes?

Quote:
Thou shall not covet. Pretty much flies in the face of capitalism.
You are using capitalism as your object moral standard? C'mon, now.

Quote:
Why is there no restriction against slavery, but several warning against graven images and honoring other gods.
Jesus overthrew the table at the temple. He severely rebuked lawyers that lay heavy burdens on people. Luke 11:46:
And he said, Woe unto you also, ye lawyers! for ye lade men with burdens grievous to be borne, and ye yourselves touch not the burdens with one of your fingers.

Romans 8:15:
For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

The golden rule.

Also, the commandment against having other goods is a commandment that when followed, frees people from spiritual slavery.

What makes you think God endorses slavery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
It is not a straw man because we can demonstrate common ideas of morality throughout human existence. Add to this the fact that the god of the Christian bible frequently operates in an immoral way, and we pretty much have to conclude that there is an origin morality aside from the Christian concept.
How? How does the God of Abraham operate in an immoral way?
I don't believe that's true at all.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:02 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,185,929 times
Quote:
It is not a straw man because we can demonstrate common ideas of morality throughout human existence. Add to this the fact that the god of the Christian bible frequently operates in an immoral way, and we pretty much have to conclude that there is an origin morality aside from the Christian concept.
Please define morality. Until you can objectively tell us what "morality" is...you have no basis to make such a statement. You can pretend it's whatever society comes up with...but if that's the case, why do you claim to be able to state the Nazis were wrong? Or Pol Pot?

Old 08-16-2014, 11:03 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,176,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Explain how throwing a tantrum and killing billions of innocent beings in a world-wide flood is moral.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:04 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,184 times
Quote:
You really don't know?

What about the direction to kill all the neighboring tribe, men, women, children and babies EXCEPT for the virgins, which could be kept for the men doing all the killing?

What about ordering the killing by stoning of recalcitrant children?

Killing again by stoning your neighbor for picking up sticks on the sabbath?

The list is long and horrible of how immoral the god of Abraham is. Encouraging human sacrifice, and then changing that order at the last minute, terrorizing the victim.

I could go on and on. That god of Abraham is a horrible, terrible, vindictive god.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Explain how throwing a tantrum and killing billions of innocent beings in a world-wide flood is moral.
First define what "moral" is. Can you do that?

Old 08-16-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Not innocent beings. Not innocent at all.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Not innocent beings. Not innocent at all.
Nor was there a tantrum.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:08 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,176,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
First define what "moral" is. Can you do that?
Dysgenic asked for an example of your war god's immorality. I provided one. I prefer to await his response.

I've heard yours ad nauseam.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
You really don't know?

What about the direction to kill all the neighboring tribe, men, women, children and babies EXCEPT for the virgins, which could be kept for the men doing all the killing?

What about ordering the killing by stoning of recalcitrant children?

Killing again by stoning your neighbor for picking up sticks on the sabbath?

The list is long and horrible of how immoral the god of Abraham is. Encouraging human sacrifice, and then changing that order at the last minute, terrorizing the victim.

I could go on and on. That god of Abraham is a horrible, terrible, vindictive god.
Encouraging human sacrifice? That's not what happened. As to the rest I will say that we do not know the condition of the hearts of those that He destroyed. But He did. My testimony is that I have done some horrible things, terrible things to Him, yet he has forgiven me time and time again. I know that the mercy of God is real, because I've lived it. He is a kind God, a loving God, and slow to anger.

Having said all that, I will not deny that The God of Abraham is not someone that I would not want to mess with or play games with. Not at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality