Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2014, 03:56 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,179,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
You are being dense.

Do no harm is a system of morality.

No system of morality has been handed down by an authority, because this authority figure does not exist.

No system of morality is 100% definitive, clearly defined and unanimously agreed upon. There will always be individuals or groups who run counter to this. This does not invalidate morality. It simply means that somebody has rejected morality.

The nazis were wrong.
Why? Why do you claim to be able to say that? They don't accept your system of morality, and you are not in authority over them. Your "do no harm" morality is not objective. It's subjective. Do you understand that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I gave you the best definition or description I could, which is what you asked for. So you can find objections to it. So we can with the supposed morality from the Bible - and other religions. This gets us nowhere. If we don't believe the religions, then they have no more authority than the various groups of humans - who come up with remarkably similar answers.

I don't see where this is getting us.
Are you willing to admit that there is no such thing as man-made morality that is objective? That you have no ability to judge another human being based on your subjective system?

Old 08-23-2014, 04:59 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,447,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Are you willing to admit that there is no such thing as man-made morality that is objective? That you have no ability to judge another human being based on your subjective system?
Despite claiming to be listening to the same god and reading the same holy book, different groups of Christians at different times have opined that dresses shorter than ankle length, women speaking in church, smoking, facial hair, electricity, motion pictures, serving in the military, seeking medical care from doctors, and dancing, all are "immoral" -- while others opine that these things are perfectly fine. So much for objectivity and certitude. Ultimately, you select a particular version of Christian morality (generally by selecting a particular denomination / dogma) and proclaim its rightness. This has nothing to do with what god is supposed to have said, and everything to do with your preferences and opinions.

It is not objective, immutable, or absolute. That is just a canard.

Society claims the right to judge its members by its morals, not me. It can, and it does.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:01 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,036,675 times
Quote:
It's subjective. Do you understand that?
Good lord!

I have denied objective morality several times on this thread. I have repeatedly stated that morality is subjective. What does it take to get this through your thick skull?

Do I have to say it one more time? 8 more times? 100?

Old 08-23-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Despite claiming to be listening to the same god and reading the same holy book, different groups of Christians at different times have opined that dresses shorter than ankle length, women speaking in church, smoking, facial hair, electricity, motion pictures, serving in the military, seeking medical care from doctors, and dancing, all are "immoral" -- while others opine that these things are perfectly fine. So much for objectivity and certitude. Ultimately, you select a particular version of Christian morality (generally by selecting a particular denomination / dogma) and proclaim its rightness. This has nothing to do with what god is supposed to have said, and everything to do with your preferences and opinions.

It is not objective, immutable, or absolute. That is just a canard.

Society claims the right to judge its members by its morals, not me. It can, and it does.
Again...you're proving my point. Individual people have different standards of morality. I've been saying this the whole time.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Good lord!

I have denied objective morality several times on this thread. I have repeatedly stated that morality is subjective. What does it take to get this through your thick skull?

Do I have to say it one more time? 8 more times? 100?
So if man-made morality is objective, why do you pretend to be able to judge anyone based on your opinion, or society's opinion of what is moral or immoral?

Old 08-23-2014, 05:52 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,915,464 times
Quote:
Yet.....you guys are filling the role perfectly. The thread was started to debate morality. I just asked for a simple definition of morality....and not a single person can give me an example of morality that is applicable to every single human that has ever lived.

Not one.

Nope.
Of course I did, you just ignore it.

Let's try again.
  • If it feels good, do it
  • If it harms you or someone else, don't

Remember? It applies to all. The fact that we have people past, present and in the future who don't live by that creed does not make it invalid.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:54 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,036,675 times
Quote:
So if man-made morality is objective, why do you pretend to be able to judge anyone based on your opinion, or society's opinion of what is moral or immoral?
Ok. I admit defeat. Your persistent habit of asking questions that have been answered over and over again, while refusing to actually contribute in any positive way to this conversation, are too much for me.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:56 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,915,464 times
Quote:
Ok. I admit defeat. Your persistent habit of asking questions that have been answered over and over again, while refusing to actually contribute in any positive way to this conversation, are too much for me.
Perhaps, fishbrains, the question should be is it moral for someone to be obtuse?

Old 08-23-2014, 06:10 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Perhaps, fishbrains, the question should be is it moral for someone to be obtuse?
I'm pretty sure deliberative obtuseness is a grave offense to any deity interested in truth.

Probably up (down?) there with sanctimony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality