Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2014, 04:15 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
So?

Your opinion about God is no more authoritative than my opinion about consensus ... except we actually USE consensus, so I still win whether you think it has any authority or not.

I'm still waiting for you to explain how we can judge God to be moral, good, and just if humans are incapable of judging morality.
So then you're willing to admit that you cannot judge him to be immoral?

Quote:
Tick tock.

Still waiting for objective proof that the Bible is 100% absolute Truth right down to the periods and commas.

Tickity tock ... tick tock ...

Still waiting ...

...and waiting ...

(And you're going to respond by saying, "I'm still waiting for you to show me why anyone should listen to your opinion on morality ...!" I don't have to prove anything because consensus IS, in fact, the method we use. If you don't like it, feel free to break the law any time you want.)

Sorry Shirinia...this thread isn't about proving the existence of God. I will not participate in hijacking the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 06:04 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
...snip....

Sorry Shirinia...this thread isn't about proving the existence of God. I will not participate in hijacking the thread.
Ah, the nobility!

It brings a (manly) tear.

Old 10-25-2014, 02:32 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
Quote:
I've already judged God to be immoral.

Just like you've judged him to be moral.

You can't sit here and say that humans can't judge morality then judge God to be good. That's dishonest. If you can judge him to be good, I can judge him to be just the opposite. And whether you like it or not, the vast majority of moral people will agree that God's actions are despicably immoral. The only thing that muddies the water is the fact that God committed those acts, but remove God from the equation and you'll have a hard time finding anyone who thinks of those actions as good, just, and fair.

Quote:
Like hell it isn't.

Your entire premise is built on the presupposition that God exists. That makes God's existence extremely pertinent to the topic. You can try dodging the question by pretending to be a moderator, but I think we're all pretty wise to your rather cheapo tactic.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:48 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
I've already judged God to be immoral.
At least in your opinion. But as we all know, an opinion is worthless to anyone but the one that holds it.
Quote:
Just like you've judged him to be moral.
Nope. He doesn't need my validation.
Quote:
You can't sit here and say that humans can't judge morality then judge God to be good. That's dishonest. If you can judge him to be good, I can judge him to be just the opposite. And whether you like it or not, the vast majority of moral people will agree that God's actions are despicably immoral. The only thing that muddies the water is the fact that God committed those acts, but remove God from the equation and you'll have a hard time finding anyone who thinks of those actions as good, just, and fair.

Like **** it isn't.

Your entire premise is built on the presupposition that God exists. That makes God's existence extremely pertinent to the topic. You can try dodging the question by pretending to be a moderator, but I think we're all pretty wise to your rather cheapo tactic.

Actually, it's based on the idea that you, or anyone else that bases morality on a whim is incapable of judging ANYONE. Be that anyone Hitler, Gandhi, or God.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:06 AM

63,814 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
This seems to be a central source of your confusion, Vizio . . . equating the actor with the acts. It is an all-too-common human trait. Only acts are subject to moral evaluation . . . and what Shirina and virtually everyone else who has been trying to penetrate the dogmatic cloud around you has said is . . . some of the ACTS of God in the OT are immoral . . . using the very morality Christ Himself has taught us. You pretend that they are NOT because of who the actor was . . . God. That is fallacious moral reasoning for someone professing to believe morality is objective and absolute. At the very least it is profoundly NOT Christian.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:49 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
At least in your opinion. But as we all know, an opinion is worthless to anyone but the one that holds it.
So your opinion that God is moral is worthless to anyone but you?

Old 10-25-2014, 11:55 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:

Nonsense. One example of opinions being of value is the ballot box.

But if you think your opinion is worthless, stop voting. Voting would make you a hypocrite.

Old 10-26-2014, 01:03 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Sheesh....this dead horse is being beat so badly even the flies and maggots should have left by now.
I think all we're left with is absurdity...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lmi4YJo1tU

Last edited by Ceist; 10-26-2014 at 01:17 AM..

Old 10-26-2014, 03:37 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post

Funny stuff

Old 10-26-2014, 08:42 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post

OMG thanks for a good laugh on a Sunday morning :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality