Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2016, 02:44 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,217,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
So you don't really know? You're just assuming. gotcha.
Better justification than you have provided for why you believe your god is good...if not the devil fooling you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Oh my .... that's the worst post I think I've ever seen on this site. What a horrific attitude for a human, and someone who is supposed to be a leader of people. I have to wonder if any of his community knows he thinks this about children.
I'm not even sure he believes some of the things he writes personally. I think that's what happens when he hits those blind spots apologetics don't have a canned response for since they only prepare your for the strawman arguments...not the real arguments.

But it is quite unsettling to think people look to him for guidance.

Old 01-02-2016, 02:52 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,225,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
Better justification than you have provided for why you believe your god is good...if not the devil fooling you,
My God stepped out of heaven and allowed himself to be nailed to a cross to redeem me. That's good enough for me.

Old 01-02-2016, 03:11 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,239,011 times
Quote:
My God stepped out of heaven and allowed himself to be nailed to a cross to redeem me. That's good enough for me.
And then dusted himself off and zapped back to heaven, none the worse for wear.

Old 01-02-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
And then dusted himself off and zapped back to heaven, none the worse for wear.
Except that he still has holes in his hands and feet. And he now intercedes for us in Heaven.

Old 01-02-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Except that he still has holes in his hands and feet. And he now intercedes for us in Heaven.
Maybe he should use his god-hands to heal them. Like he supposedly did for people?

Seems awfully silly to sit there with holes in your hands when you are the most powerful being EVA. I mean man...even Wolverine can do that.

Old 01-02-2016, 04:41 PM

50,089 posts, read 20,793,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
All kidding aside, though.

I don't really agree with cupper that everyone is "born atheist".

Here's a thought experiment. Go get your wife pregnant and then banish the child at birth to a sealed environment where he is cared for by robot nurses and nannies programmed to feed the child and provide it with instruction only in language with zero sociological or historical background, no religious ideology or philosophy of any kind, on even an education in science because that would teach them about the scientific method.

Repeat this experiment 100 times.

How many of those children will be so lacking in confirmation bias, agency inference, and various forms of existential angst, such that they will not invent some sort of religious or magical beliefs all on their own? How many of them will claim to have had powerful subjective experiences validating their beliefs?

I would guess that at least half of them will have all sorts of unsupportable ideas at the end of such an experiment.

I would like to think that they naturally and organically would all be little scientists but apart from a grounding in hard-won philosophical insights and debates and critical thinking, they would at least in some compartments of their thinking and probably most of them, have all sorts of magical beliefs and rituals. A minority of them would have the brain wiring to start going through the systematic philosophical musings that the human race codified from thousands of years ago, but most would invent comforting lies to soothe their existential questions.

It is my view that growing beyond reflexive magical thinking is something that is only beginning to be possible to any kind of scale in the past few generations because it is only now that enough of humanity has moved up the hierarchy of needs and the ladder of scientific knowledge of reality to be able to divorce itself from the perceptual quirks that have kept it mired in religion.

"Things are the way they are because they got that way". If unbelief were the automatic default, religion would never have arisen to indoctrinate generation after generation since the dawn of man.
I agree. That is why I postulate that humans are hardwired to belief in an invisible protective and guiding power. The God -instinct. It manifests in reverence for not only gods but human leaders (who often become gods) and manifests also in a belief in a guided destiny. Napoleon and nelson both believed in such a destiny though they were a bit cavalier about religion, just as were many of the founding fathers.

And that's the key. God -belief is an inherent instinct, (and therefore serves a survival -purpose, which we note in the god -based confidence of military and sporting achievers) but the religion is what has to be taught.

Thus were are born without religion and also without a God -belief, and thus atheist. because the God -instinct is explainable is evolutionary and materialistic terms and does not require any god -claim of the kind that relates to theism.

Old 01-02-2016, 04:45 PM

50,089 posts, read 20,793,492 times
Quote:
What about a new incorruptible body? Do we go to heaven (or hell) still bearing the marks of our car accident, plane crash or mincing effect of being on the wrong end of a suicide bomb? Or was that just Put On by Jesus so there would be no doubt that it was really him? In which case, it was just a disguise? I might as well use a false moustache to intercede for you. It would be just as effective.

Quote:
A baseless claim and a dubious story that doesn't make sense even on its own terms, and that is Good Enough for you. It's what we call Blind Faith, Vizio.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 01-02-2016 at 05:04 PM..

Old 01-02-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
What about a new incorruptible body? Do we go to heaven (or hell) still bearing the marks of our car, accident, plane crash or mincing effect of being on the wrong end of a suicide bomb? Or was that just Put On by Jesus so there would be no doubt that it was really him? In which case, it was just a disguise? I might as well use a false moustache to intercede for you. It would be just as effective.
We will have different, glorified bodies in Heaven.

Jesus has a new, glorified body that retains the scars. Here's a good soruce to clarify it:

Does Jesus have a physical body in heaven?
Quote:

A baseless claim and a dubious story that doesn't make sense even on its own terms, and that is Good Enough for you. It's what we call Blind Faith, Vizio.
If your presuppositions prevent you from accepting that, there's not much I can do for you.

Old 01-02-2016, 05:55 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,738,258 times
Quote:
We will have different, glorified bodies in Heaven.
Jesus has a new, glorified body that retains the scars. Here's a good soruce to clarify it:
I would like a new glorified body, that can run a 100 metres in 6 seconds flat (from a standing start) be able to lift 1000lbs effortlessly, as well as being able to swim underwater at 45kts (without needing to re-surface) and of course...... be able to fly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality