Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 06:22 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,759,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I do have one question: is there something wrong with saying "thank you"? I thank God every day because I have food and shelter and clean water. I know many people on this earth don't have that. I don't think that's arrogance. I think that's gratitude. I've seen poverty in this country and abroad and I know I have a LOT to be thankful for.

Truth be known, I think some people don't say thank you because they are arrogant.
I thank God all the time too, and I pray often. I don't think there is anything wrong with thanking God.
That being said, I also understand what the OP is saying. When something good happens to me or when I get something I have been praying for I am grateful, but at the same time I feel weird and guilty for thinking that God answered my prayers because I don't want to think I am special in some way or better than others.

Yes, this woman has every right to thank God, but I can see how others would look at all the people who have died from this disease and ask why God didn't cure them too. Were they not good enough? Is she more special and that is why God would cure her and not the other people?

This is something I struggle to understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 07:23 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post

This is something I struggle to understand.
As do I.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:19 PM

888 posts, read 454,199 times
Quote:
She was saved because she was lucky (she'd say blessed) enough to be born an American citizen
There's a lot of truth to this. She was saved in large part because of the United States public health system and its corresponding infrastructure. There are only four hospitals in the country with the level of care and isolation needed to treat someone with Ebola and other diseases of this magnitude, those that have no cure and are contagious. She went to Emory University Hospital on the campus where the Centers for Disease Control is located.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:55 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,626,379 times
I have a hard time feeling completely comfortable with thanking god for anything at all. To me, it directly implies one of two things - either that god is a capricious, arbitrary being who plays favorites for no reason at all (killing people for no reason, while sparing others simply on a whim), or that the person who is doing the thanking is somehow more worthy - more special - than those whose lives don't have a lot for which to be thankful. The former is a pretty cynical and unflattering view of god, and the latter strikes me as appallingly arrogant. And neither puts Christianity in a very favorable light, in my opinion.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:10 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
It seems to have glorifed him by it happening. And, of course, those that will curse God will do so anyway.
Does this not seem to be a bit narcissistic to you? "I'll let the ones these two were caring for suffer, but at least it will make me look good."

Old 09-04-2014, 07:39 AM

1,553 posts, read 925,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwielder View Post
In Charlotte today the American missionary who has recovered from the Ebola virus has spoken out publicly for the first time. She first and foremost thanked the Lord for saving her life. Later she thanked health workers for helping her recover.

Is it just me or is there not some arrogance, even on a subconscious level, on the part of this lady for thanking the Lord for saving her life? What about all the poor souls who have died of this terrible virus, were they not worthy of being saved too, or is it because she is a white missionary doing the 'Lord's work' that he singled her out to be cured?

It always rankles me when Christians who survive some disaster in which many have died, attribute their salvation to the Lord, as it is basically saying, I deserved it more than those who perished.

I am pleased she survived, but rather than mention the health workers as a secondary reason as to why she is still alive, she should be giving them the honour she takes from them by attributing it to something she cant even prove exists.

Some great points, Ringwielder ... but these people can't help themselves ... Moderator cut: deleted

Last edited by june 7th; 09-04-2014 at 09:21 AM.. Reason: Please refer to new Sticky. No calling believers mentally ill.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
I have a hard time feeling completely comfortable with thanking god for anything at all.
I have a friend who is Pagan. She thanks the applicable goddess.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:47 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
She gets Ebola: not God's fault!
She gets better: Praise the Lord!

A plane crashes and 200+ people die: not God's fault!
One passenger, terribly burned, forever scarred, survives: Praise the Lord!

Thousands die in a hurricane in central American or an earthquake in Asia: not God's fault!
Tim Tebow throws a touchdown pass: Praise the Lord!

Old 09-04-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
She gets Ebola: not God's fault!
She gets better: Praise the Lord!

A plane crashes and 200+ people die: not God's fault!
One passenger, terribly burned, forever scarred, survives: Praise the Lord!

Thousands die in a hurricane in central American or an earthquake in Asia: not God's fault!
Tim Tebow throws a touchdown pass: Praise the Lord!

Tim Tebow in the the NFL: Praise the Lord
Michael Sam in the NFL: Satan is roaming through America

Old 09-04-2014, 04:02 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,322,546 times
Quote:
I do have one question: is there something wrong with saying "thank you"? I thank God every day because I have food and shelter and clean water. I know many people on this earth don't have that. I don't think that's arrogance. I think that's gratitude. I've seen poverty in this country and abroad and I know I have a LOT to be thankful for.

Truth be known, I think some people don't say thank you because they are arrogant.
I think it's a bit different to be thankful.

It's another thing to believe some supernatural entity is supplying whatever it is you're thankful for. Everything you have exists in your life most likely because you worked for it ... not because it magically landed in your lap or mysteriously showed up on your doorstep.

What's worse is when people thank these entities whenever they survive a traumatic experience. Hitler survived 42 separate assassination attempts - many of them seemingly quite miraculous and exceptionally lucky. People gush about God for surviving one experience. How does one explain the most evil man in the 20th Century surviving 42 such experiences? Would it not be reasonable, then, to assume God wanted Hitler to survive to continue his reign of terror?

There is a sort-of arrogance in thinking a Supreme Being reached down and saved YOU while letting many others die. Whether people realize it or not, to assume such a thing happened does imply a certain "chosen" status that apparently others who died do not possess. Too often these types of survival experiences gives the survivor a false sense of purpose - that God saved them for a reason, to fulfill a destiny, to accomplish some task or another. Bottom line, however, is that they become "special." I doubt many of these people really think about what it says about the people who died.

Sure, even as an atheist, there are those excessively rare moments when I do feel truly thankful. There is always a temptation to thank some entity or concept - call it God, fate, karma, destiny, yin-yang, whatever - but of course there isn't anyone to thank aside from, perhaps, other human beings who made it all possible.

Keep in mind, Dew Drop - you say that you've seen poverty both in this country and abroad. Yep, me too. I've more than just seen it. I've lived it. The problem in America, however, is that this "thankfulness" actually HAS become nothing less than arrogance. This is why many religious Americans actually believe in this ridiculous concept of America not only being "blessed" by God, but also that America has been given "exceptionalism," that the USA is somehow better than everyone else. The result is America's refusal to take heed of good ideas practiced by other nations - thus, if we didn't think of it right here in America, it can't be a good idea.

If it can happen to an entire society, it can easily happen to individuals.

Americans generally live a good life, even those in poverty (when compared to other nations). Unfortunately, this has given rise to the idea of American Exceptionalism. In fact, it had nothing to do with God or being blessed. It had to do with coming out of WWII untouched, and that had nothing to do with God and everything to do with being protected by two oceans and no one having the technology to launch an invasion of the US mainland.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, is that there is still an undercurrent of disdain for the disabled in this country. Even with government programs such as Disability Compensation, a frightening number of Christians will grudgingly admit that such a program is necessary. BUT ... they only want the program to provide only the absolute basics for survival. Food - but only healthy foods. A roof, but the cheapest you can get. And health care. That's it. If you're disabled, you must live in utter destitution. In other words, these Christians are willing to accept Disability Compensation, but they still want to punish you for needing it.

Where does this sentiment come from? Why, the idea that people who are able to avoid becoming disabled are "blessed," that's where. Obviously if some people are "blessed" with good health, those who don't have it are "cursed." Sure, anyone can get cancer, but an actual disability that keeps you from working, that's a whole other ballgame. That's where God's anger is directed.

It is a direct result of people believing that a supernatural Supreme Being is up there micromanaging our lives - saving the special ones while letting the spiritual cannon fodder die like rodents; protecting the pious ones while cursing the sinners with poverty, poor health, and failure.

For me, it is not about being thankful. There's nothing wrong with that. It is who they are thankful towards and why ... that is what causes my eyes to narrow a little bit. Because I am all too aware of how that belief plays out in the social world.

We don't disagree on much Dew Drop so my apologies for doing so now, but the whole "thanking God" business does rankle me a bit, I'm afraid. Take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality