Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 10:49 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times

Advertisements

David Williamson of the Central Florida Free Thought Community — who recently fought against Brevard County’s attempt to ban atheists from offering invocations at public meetings — sued the district over its initial unwillingness to allow atheist literature with titles like “Jesus Is Dead” and “Why I Am Not a Muslim” in the schools.

A judge dismissed that case after the school board decided to allow the materials.
The Satanic Temple took advantage of this decision, deciding to flood Orange County schools with a pamphlet entitled The Satanic Children’s Big Book of Activities that contains kid-friendly Satanic lessons.
“These bullies are mad and afraid of things they don’t understand,” the instructions on the word-jumble reads. “Help Damian use inclusive language to defuse the situation.
The spokesman for the Satanic Temple, Lucien Greaves, explained that his organization “would never seek to establish a precedent of disseminating our religious materials in public schools because we believe our constitutional values are better served by respecting a strong separation of Church and State.”

Bible-pushing Christians open the door for Satanic activity books in Florida schools

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 10:53 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
*snicker*

The law of unintended consequences ...

Old 09-18-2014, 10:56 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
How are they trying to "boot" anyone else's religious materials????

All I see is them taking advantage of the opportunity that the school board is offering to religious groups.

But I will say that I vociferously disagree with this school board's decision. Unfortunately, I have no clout with the board...

Old 09-18-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
How are they trying to "boot" anyone else's religious materials????

All I see is them taking advantage of the opportunity that the school board is offering to religious groups.

But I will say that I vociferously disagree with this school board's decision. Unfortunately, I have no clout with the board...
The spokesman for the Satanic Temple, Lucien Greaves, explained that his organization “would never seek to establish a precedent of disseminating our religious materials in public schools because we believe our constitutional values are better served by respecting a strong separation of Church and State.”
“However,” he continued, “if a public school board is going to allow religious pamphlets and full Bibles to be distributed to students — as is the case in Orange County, Florida — we think the responsible thing to do is to ensure that these students are given access to a variety of differing religious opinions, as opposed to standing idly by while one religious voice dominates the discourse and delivers propaganda to youth.”
Bible-pushing Christians open the door for Satanic activity books in Florida schools

Perhaps I should have put the section in bold in the first post of this thread.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
“However,” he continued, “if a public school board is going to allow religious pamphlets and full Bibles to be distributed to students — as is the case in Orange County, Florida — we think the responsible thing to do is to ensure that these students are given access to a variety of differing religious opinions, as opposed to standing idly by while one religious voice dominates the discourse and delivers propaganda to youth.”

Perhaps I should have put the section in bold in the first post of this thread.

Read it fine the first time. He says he wants to make sure that "...students are given access to a variety of differing religious opinions, as opposed to standing idly by while one religious voice dominates the discourse and delivers propaganda to youth.”

Sounds to me like he wants to see children exposed to some alternatives to whatever brand of christianity is being peddled, and has stepped up to provide at least one other alternative. He does not say that he wants only satanism peddled, and he does not say that any other alternatives should be "booted".

Edited to add - BTW, this same story has been under discussion on the Politics & Other Controversies board for several days now. You are late to the party. Also, why you think atheists/agnostics would differentiate between those christians wanting to proselytize other people's kids and those satanists who want to proselytize other people's kids is a bit puzzling to me. Perhaps you'd care to elucidate?

Old 09-18-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Read it fine the first time. He says he wants to make sure that "...students are given access to a variety of differing religious opinions, as opposed to standing idly by while one religious voice dominates the discourse and delivers propaganda to youth.”

Sounds to me like he wants to see children exposed to some alternatives to whatever brand of christianity is being peddled, and has stepped up to provide at least one other alternative. He does not say that he wants only satanism peddled, and he does not say that any other alternatives should be "booted".

Edited to add - BTW, this same story has been under discussion on the Politics & Other Controversies board for several days now. You are late to the party. Also, why you think atheists/agnostics would differentiate between those christians wanting to proselytize other people's kids and those satanists who want to proselytize other people's kids is a bit puzzling to me. Perhaps you'd care to elucidate?
I think it sounds he wants all religions booted from the classroom, Satanism included.

“However,” he
continued, “if a public school board is going to allow religious pamphlets and full Bibles to be distributed to students — as is the case in Orange County, Florida — we think the responsible thing to do is to ensure that these students are given access to a variety of differing religious opinions, as opposed to standing idly by while one religious voice dominates the discourse and delivers propaganda to youth

He doesn't sound very enthusiastic about bringing knowledge of Satanism to children in public school, to my mind. The only part he sounds enthusiastic about, to me, is countering Christian propaganda.

I have no idea what in this thread gave you the idea anyone on this thread thinks atheists would distinguish between Christian and atheist proselytization in schools.

However, having two groups that probably don't like one another's proselytization attempts could work to move along one of the goals of many atheist organizations, of booting religious indoctrination from classrooms. Therefore, this could very well be a positive thing in the eyes of many secularists, I'd think.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
I think it sounds he wants all religions booted from the classroom, Satanism included.
I agree. And said so in post #3 of this very thread.

The US Supreme Court unfortunately disagrees with me, and since 6 of the 9 are practicing roman catholics, that is unlikely to change anytime soon. This leaves it up to local school boards.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood the purpose of your post. It wasn't at all clear to me that you were making the case that the school board blundered by allowing christian proselytization.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:05 PM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
I moved the thread out to the Religion & Spirituality forum to avoid any implication that Satanism has any relationship with either Atheism or Agnosticism by leaving the post in that sub-forum. Just trying to be fair to all.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:47 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Moderator cut: quoted post deleted

1st amendment protects ALL religious belief. Even those that you don't like.

Last edited by mensaguy; 09-20-2014 at 06:08 AM.. Reason: quoted post removed

Old 09-19-2014, 09:17 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Moderator cut: quoted post removed

YOU do not get to decide what is or is not a cult. The US constitution gives everyone freedom of religion.

Last edited by mensaguy; 09-20-2014 at 06:10 AM.. Reason: quoted post removed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality