Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2014, 11:20 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
I'm saying that someone who does not know how to communicate/share in an equal relationship and can only cope if they are in charge and calling the shots, is emotionally/socially immature and selfish. Do you disagree with that?
Of course! When have I suggested otherwise? Or are you posing a strawman argument to suggest that Christian men in general are incapable of doing so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 11:21 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,941,124 times
I think the OP needs to back away from this situation before she gets hurt and loses her friend. Her friend is stubborn and does not want to join her husband so let it be, as you have given your friend ample amount of counseling, the best thing is to pray for her and let God take control.

Yea, there is definitely something wrong with this relationship as they are not making God ,"Head of Household", they are doing their own separate thing, there is definitely something wrong at home if there is divisiveness in their individual church worship. I feel for the child as the child will suffer the most, thank heavens the child is only 2 right now, yes prayers are the only answer.

Last edited by perry335654; 09-27-2014 at 12:44 PM..

Old 09-27-2014, 11:23 AM

888 posts, read 454,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
She is a gift from God as a partner/helper.
I read this as a part-partner, part-subordinate.

The discipling model sounds similar to the Alcoholics Anonymous model of having a sponsor to help you. As I understand it, an AA sponsor is farther along in the journey of being sober and is in a position to help the more junior person, who has no obligation to accept the sponsor's advice. It's there for the taking. I assume there's a difference between the AA and discipling partners. Discipling partners are there to guide each other through advice and support and that one isn't in a de facto position of being the lead guide--if my assumption about how they work is correct.

Do discipling partners have to take each other's advice? Are they on an equal footing in the relationship? Are they there to help each other without either person having veto power over the other? If so, this sounds healthier than Vizio's marriage model.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedPeach View Post
I read this as a part-partner, part-subordinate.
You would read that wrong, then.
Quote:
Do discipling partners have to take each other's advice? Are they on an equal footing in the relationship? Are they there to help each other without either person having veto power over the other? If so, this sounds healthier than Vizio's marriage model.
Please don't say it's "Vizio's marriage model". It's God's model. It's spelled out in scripture. If you don't like it......oh well.

Old 09-27-2014, 12:01 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times
Quote:
But there can be only one chief.
Quote:
Do you think a company would run well if there were no hierarchy of authority? Someone has to make decisions and be accountable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Because when there is not order than there is chaos. It doesn't mean one partner is better than the other it means there has to be a sense of stability in a household and that has to be one put in charge.
Quote:
I'll go with Perry's response. When you have more than 1 person calling the shots, things tend to not get done, or they go in different directions.
Quote:
Manager/subordinate then.
Quote:
Different roles.
Quote:
I'm saying that someone who does not know how to communicate/share in an equal relationship and can only cope if they are in charge and calling the shots, is emotionally/socially immature and selfish. Do you disagree with that?
Quote:
Of course! When have I suggested otherwise? Or are you posing a strawman argument to suggest that Christian men in general are incapable of doing so?
So are you saying that you agree that men who need to be the "chief", 'head of the household" "in charge" and "calling the shots" in a relationship are emotionally/socially immature and selfish?

I've also said nothing at all about Christian men in general.

Last edited by Ceist; 09-27-2014 at 12:10 PM..

Old 09-27-2014, 12:06 PM

888 posts, read 454,312 times
Quote:
Please don't say it's "Vizio's marriage model". It's God's model. It's spelled out in scripture. If you don't like it......oh well.
I can say "the marriage model Vizio promotes" instead, although it is your marriage model if you are choosing to take it as your own--regardless of why you choose that as your marriage model.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:20 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,941,124 times
Yes, this marriage is not built on God being head of household as husband and wife want to do their own separate thing, if this is happening with the church divisiveness, it can't be to peachy keen at home either, sad thing and like I said mostly for the child.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:40 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Yes, this marriage is not built on God being head of household as husband and wife want to do their own separate thing, if this is happening with the church divisiveness, it can't be to peachy keen at home either, sad thing and like I said mostly for the child.
Too bad. If they were both atheists, they wouldn't even have this stupid problem.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Too bad. If they were both atheists, they wouldn't even have this stupid problem.
They'd have other issues.

Old 09-27-2014, 02:01 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,057 times
Quote:
You should ask God why he chose to create Adam first. But instead, you're blaming him for the sin of man for mistreating women.
I'm blaming God for not having the foresight to know that not creating Adam and Eve simultaneously would help fuel the idea that men are superior. Yeah, humanity might have messed it up, but that mess-up was a result of unclear scripture; it lacked any explanation of why Eve was created dead last aside from being a companion and helper to Adam. That essentially tossed women out of participating in life from the getgo.

Quote:
She was a helpmate and companion. Not a possession. I'm sorry if men have treated women otherwise. The Bible doesn't tell us to do so.
Perhaps not, but that is how it has been interpreted for thousands of years. Women are to be there for the husband. She should have no ambition for herself or for her own life. Her duty is to nurture and take care of hubby.

The problem is this stereotypical belief that women are all about nurturing, gentleness, emotion, maternal instincts, passivity, and servitude.

LOL! So how do you explain a person like me? I'm certainly not Suzy Homemaker, I don't appear to have any maternal instincts, I'm far more cerebral than I am emotional, I grew up rough so I am rough - at least around the edges. I'm more interested in the latest Chinese anti-ship missile than I am in shoes. I'd rather see action movies than tear-jerkers (I loathe chick-flicks ... boring!) and in so many ways I swear I have male DNA. If I ever got caught up in the traditional Christian family model, I'd probably slit my wrists.

Point being is that there cannot be a singular model for marriage - yet again, we argue the belief in absolutes. There can be no absolutely correct way to make a marriage succeed.

Quote:
Yet...it's still the fault of the person misinterpreting...not the author. You're blaming God for the failings of man. That's not really fair. Or honest.
That's ridiculous. Of course the author is culpable. Perhaps not 100% responsible, but he shares in the blame. I know you don't want God to be responsible for anything at all ... but we all know he is. At least if you're like we atheists and have the ability to pan the camera back and see the big picture.

Quote:
No. He isn't. The man is not Lord over a woman. He does not control every aspect of her life and give her orders on how to live in every area. The Bible doesn't suggest that he can do that.
Okay ... what does the Bible tell us to do if there is a deadlock? Let's say the husband wants to spend the family's tax returns (deposited into a joint account) on a gambling extravaganza in Las Vegas while the wife wants to spend the money on more practicle yet still fun things - perhaps a new home theater system. (All of this assumes that all other needs have been provided and this money truly is "extra" and can be spent this way).

Who gets to ultimately decide?

Quote:
As I've said...you have really misrepresented it.
It's not me who has misinterpreted it. Lots and lots and lots of conservative Christian men have misinterpreted it. I'm just going by what they say and do.

Believe me, I get where you're coming from in that you believe the Bible doesn't say that the husband is some autocratic dictator - and I'm glad that is your position. I'm just saying that there are a lot of guys out there who believe that the Bible DOES tell them to rule over their women - and I question why God would "divinely inspire" a Bible knowing the domestic hell many women would have to face because of vague or easily misinterpreted Bible verses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality