Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 12:23 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I read it that way too.

Whatever it is the husband HAS a partner: his wife. From the OP's description it sounds like the husband has chosen the "discipling partner" (and their plans) over the woman he's married to. Not good.

Take religion out of it and what have you got? A husband who wants to start a new business even though his wife is unhappy. Who IS happy? The discipling partner. That's not a recipe for a good marriage. The two-year old, who doesn't get a vote, will be, as kids always are, the innocent victim if his parents don't get on the same page and make the FAMILY the priority.
Yep
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 01:09 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,844 times
I think one has to ask themselves, who is head of household ?

Last edited by perry335654; 09-24-2014 at 01:44 PM..

Old 09-24-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
I think one ask to ask themselves, who is head of household ?
To quote the mom in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" - the man is the head, but the woman is the neck

Seriously though, they are ONE and should act with respect for one another.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:02 PM

19,958 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
I think one has to ask themselves, who is head of household ?
Which presupposes that one and only one person "calls the shots". In truth a marriage is a joint enterprise based on mutual trust and respect and open communication. It is not a tug-of-war for control. At least not any marriage I'd want to be part of.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:44 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times
When my daughter was little, about 5 or so, she had a little friend over playing one day. The girls got into an argument which became very heated, and lead to shouts of anger and tears on both sides. Good old Mom had to intervene and help them work out a solution. The dispute? They were arguing over who had an imaginary kitten and who did not. I suggested that they could BOTH have all the imaginary kittens they wanted. Later, when I told the other girl's mother about this, we collapsed into helpless giggles over the silliness of their dispute.

This is a true story.

And here we have two married adults with a 2 year old child who have a similar dispute. They just need a sensible person to intervene and tell them they can both worship their imaginary God in any way that they please. There, problem solved.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
When my daughter was little, about 5 or so, she had a little friend over playing one day. The girls got into an argument which became very heated, and lead to shouts of anger and tears on both sides. Good old Mom had to intervene and help them work out a solution. The dispute? They were arguing over who had an imaginary kitten and who did not. I suggested that they could BOTH have all the imaginary kittens they wanted. Later, when I told the other girl's mother about this, we collapsed into helpless giggles over the silliness of their dispute.

This is a true story.

And here we have two married adults with a 2 year old child who have a similar dispute. They just need a sensible person to intervene and tell them they can both worship their imaginary God in any way that they please. There, problem solved.
Cute.

Love how your problem solved that one with your young child

However, what you fail to take into account is, whether you believe in God or not is irrelevant to this discussion. The husband and wife DO believe in God and obviously have different ideas on how exactly to worship him.

The important thing for a couple like that to realize is, God does not want them to be so egotistical as to use him as a reason to break up their family.

Old 09-24-2014, 05:23 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,803,606 times
Sounds to me like the typical youth. I am guessing twenty or so. If either one really wants to be married they have to work together. And stop looking for reasons to be apart. The old blame game.

Old 09-24-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Which presupposes that one and only one person "calls the shots". In truth a marriage is a joint enterprise based on mutual trust and respect and open communication. It is not a tug-of-war for control. At least not any marriage I'd want to be part of.
It doesn't sound very mutual to me in this joint enterprise, Yea I would say we have a tug-of- war here

Old 09-24-2014, 07:23 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,590 times
Eh, I give up ... I have to sit here and listen to religious zealots proselytize about women submitting but if I call that misogyny, my post is deleted - most likely because someone whined.

Well, I woke up on Monday morning with my right hand half-paralyzed. I only have the use of my forefinger and thumb. I haven't the slightest idea what's wrong and I'm waiting to get in to see a neurologist.

Do you have ANY idea the kind of effort it takes now to type? And how WONDERFUL it is to spend 40 minutes typing a post that should have taken 40 seconds only to find it gone a few hours later?

To hell with it.

You win, I lose. Maybe if I can ever use my damn hand again, I'll think about posting again.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Eh, I give up ... I have to sit here and listen to religious zealots proselytize about women submitting but if I call that misogyny, my post is deleted - most likely because someone whined.

Well, I woke up on Monday morning with my right hand half-paralyzed. I only have the use of my forefinger and thumb. I haven't the slightest idea what's wrong and I'm waiting to get in to see a neurologist.

Do you have ANY idea the kind of effort it takes now to type? And how WONDERFUL it is to spend 40 minutes typing a post that should have taken 40 seconds only to find it gone a few hours later?

To hell with it.

You win, I lose. Maybe if I can ever use my damn hand again, I'll think about posting again.

I am sorry to hear about your right hand, that is a scary situation. Hope all goes well with the Neurologist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality